project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Language settings and missing mail texts  (Read 3692 times)

Offline antib

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Language settings and missing mail texts
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:17:02 am »
 I need extra help with language settings.
 My OS - Debian Lenny, I tried compilling the game (v2.2) and executable package from ufoai.sf.net and both times got a same problem.
 My mother tongue is Russian. In game options there are two choices for a language - "Russian" and "No language". When I choose Russian I can't see any mail from ufo crash sites and all equipment lists in buy/sell dialogs look like this:

Assult Rifle| Assu
lt Rifle Magazine| F
lamethrower|C
90 Canister|Sh
otgun|Shotgun Shells|
Rocket Launcher

except these words are in Russian (which doesn't help cause HE Rocket in this list in fact is a Rocket Launcher or smth like that).

When I choose "No language" item list looks correct (in English), but all mail reports shown like a "laserrifle.txt".
I tried editing cvar in cfg file in ~/.ufoai , launching the game with LANG=ru or LANG=en prefixes but it made no difference.

I would be content playing in English-only so I replaced ufoai.mo in /ru folder with the compilled en.po. It made the game look properly (though entirely in English).

What should I do to add both Russian and English languages into the game?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Language settings and missing mail texts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:22:27 am »
i'm not sure whether the translation for russian is complete (either in 2.2 or in 2.3) - you can help to complete the missing texts - see http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Translating

you can also try to sync the po file from 2.2 with the current wiki state (there is a script for this in src/po) - i'm sure that a lot of new articles were translated since 2.2 was released.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:42:38 am »
There was a bunch of language-i18n-l10n-translation bugs in 2.2, and it was almost impossible to play russian version.

But I know no bugs in this area in 2.3.

About translation status: there are near 45 notranslated articles left. And something about 7% of other strings (tips of the day and some menu-GUI labels)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:48:03 pm »
If you wanna play in English, add it to your system locales. Edit /etc/locale.gen, add the following line then run locale-gen (as root).
Code: [Select]
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8

-geever

Offline antib

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:18:47 pm »
Thanks for your answers, I will read locale related manuals.

But I know no bugs in this area in 2.3.

Do U mean that there are no bugs in items lists or 100% completed translation in v2.3?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:56:04 pm »
percent of translations is not a bug. It`s just a feature. And read my message carefully.

And no, there is no bugs in item`s lists, in big texts and so on. At least no localisation-specific bugs. But you can check it by yourself, yes.

Offline antib

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »
 Thanks, I will.