project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Coilgun best weapon in Close Quarter Combat - human cqc weapon?  (Read 15142 times)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Coilgun best weapon in Close Quarter Combat - human cqc weapon?
« on: December 29, 2009, 04:23:10 pm »
Hiho!

I'm later in the game (2.3) and have researched all weapons (heavy needler is the last one). The choice of weapons in most maps is clear (lots of coilguns, small snipers and a few attackers with stun grenades + PB-launcher) but sometimes you need to get into ufos, which means deadly close quarter fighting.

I should point out right here that I am no fan of using alien weapons (I just think they are made for aliens). I love to use the ones developed by humans (using alien technologies) or even standard weapons.

Observation + Problem: I realized that the best weapon for close quarter combat is the coilgun because it is the only weapon that stands a chance to kill the enemy with just 1 shot. If aliens are allowed to fire (at this close range) my soldiers are almost always killed. I find this frustrating  because my soliders have 60+ skill and I don't like to lose many of them. I didn't care about losses at the beginning but after a long time I can't just let 3 of them die in a terror ufo. I retry. Retry. And quit quite often.

Personal Opinion: It just doesn't feel right for the most powerful, huge, bulky sniper rifle to be the best close quarter combat weapon in the game.

Consequence: I think we are missing a human close quarter combat weapon that takes the described function of the coilgun. The sniper skill should not be the most important inside a ufo. I expected the assault and close quarter skills to be important but there are no human weapons that are suitable in this phase of the game (laser rifle + pistol are just ridiculous against medium armour mutons).  

Or am I missing an existing human weapon that is well suited for active close quarter fighting (+ deadly reaction fire) against muton + sheevar in medium armor?

Andy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:25:58 pm by Viento »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: Coilgun best weapon in Close Quarter Combat - human cqc weapon?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:44:18 pm »
please, try flametrower and grenade launcher :-)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »
Grenade launcher is fine. :)  (but not very useful in cqc, I find. Too much damage for myself with PB grenades)

Flamer: good idea. Never even tried it. :)

Still: Something like a human short assault rifle or a machine pistol that does decent damage would be great! ;)

Andy

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:46:08 pm »
Yes, I've noticed the machine pistol and the SMG in some cases do about no real damage at all, sometimes even with a full-auto spray up close where every shot hits, far too weak... (in 2.3)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:49:40 pm »
Since machinepistols,  shotguns and all the laser weapons are nicely balanced in the first part of the game (before aliens have medium armor I used most of them) but become useless later on, I would suggest the following:

After the medium armor is researched, Phallanx realizes that some of its weapons have almost become useless.

Consequently they improve them... (new research options)

Just my ideas that sprang to my mind:

> new kinds of ammunition for the standard weapons specially designed to be armor piercing. One could for example use alien material to make the bullets (which would give "alien materials, 3 credits" some importance in the game) or rebuild the weapons with alien material, so that they can stand more stress.

> better energy source for the laser weapon => more power => more damage. Plus a good opportunity to make the heavy laser a bit stronger. :) It's too weak compared against the machine gun in 25 round burst. 

Just a few ideas that came to my mind after I read Destructavator's posting.

Andy

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:31 pm »
New weapons are out of the question IIRC, devs have said that no new human weapons for official campaign. Human-alien hybrids might have hope though.

But one idea is that PHALANX invents something to replace the gunpowder in normal guns. A new type of round that, for example, uses alien plasma tech to propel itself out of the barrel. Or gunpowder more similiar to high explosives. Or something.

Also try the flamer. It has not failed me yet.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:12 pm »
I agree with Viento, it would be nice to re-engineer the old weapons to make them better, after a certain point in the game - and that may be a key point, to have such a thing but only allow it after a certain "milestone" is passed.  Otherwise the player could un-balance things by starting research on improved human weapons right at the start of the game.

It could be after something is researched, or some other trigger that an email comes in the player's inbox from one of his/her staff (game characters) where someone thinks newly discovered technology should be used to remake human weaponry to keep up.  It wouldn't need to be complex or hard to code.

As Hertzilla said though, perhaps new ammunition would be enough.

Offline Sepelio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:38:59 am »
Perhaps we could have a few things in conjunction required for upgrading the old weapons.

Some of the alien materials are obviously stronger and denser so using them along with propelling bullets in a different manner would allow for new slug/penetrator rounds to be used. Imagine it being sort of like extremely advanced depleted uranium rounds.

Also don't rule out the idea of using biological and chemical weapons for such things. After all the only good alien is a dead alien. Perhaps another heavy weapon could be a sabot style armour piercing round loaded with a chemical deadly to the aliens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:40:40 am by Sepelio »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:31 am »
...After all the only good alien is a dead alien...

Most of your post I agree with, but not this point - One goal that comes up and becomes more important as the game progresses is capturing live aliens for interrogation and research.  At the start of the game, yes, shooting them dead works fine, but later on this is not as true.

Offline rynait

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:50:29 am »
Hello,

I believe that is the purpose of modding, and is what I was trying to do (experimenting with adding a new grenade launcher ammo) and I had partial success that resulted in [what i call] 'not working ammo'. This experimentation exposed modding attempt to be complex.  :o

I initated a post in forum in modding section asking for information, because I could not find information nor locate any shared tidbits on the wiki or other forums in relation to modding the scripts.

Later I killed the post promptly, because the replies is starting to become insulting.  :(

Apparently Dev's are busy and focus is still on the development of 2.3.  :)

Toodles.

Roy

Offline Sepelio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 03:24:11 am »
Most of your post I agree with, but not this point - One goal that comes up and becomes more important as the game progresses is capturing live aliens for interrogation and research.  At the start of the game, yes, shooting them dead works fine, but later on this is not as true.

Well... yeah I suppose thats true. So perhaps the chemical/biological weapon idea can continue into more things that can incapacitate them. Perhaps even an area of effect weapon that will KO them similar to the stun baton/electrorifle thing.

Offline ravi80k

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 03:36:04 am »
for closer combat, I uses flamethrower sometimes, but it isn't quick enough for me. and grenade launcher doesn't suites me. I also feel the need of a one shot kill close combat weapon. in most time I try with shotgun :(

i like the idea about chemical/biological weapons, hope to see great features in future

Offline Rockwolf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:50:22 pm »
My grenadier always has a reload of flechette shells ready to go for entering a ship.  I find that those are fantastic for CQC, don't know how they stand up to medium armored aliens yet, but you can have your grenadier do reaction fire with them, and so far, it pretty much turns any alien they hit into a big pile of pulp.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »
As for chemical agents, I'd believe it would be more like a hasty way how to even the battle at the beginning. These things would usually take at least a few seconds to kick in, giving aliens some time to return fire.

For CQB, I'd imagine a multi-barrell short coilgun that would allow full auto fire.

Offline Flak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:21:26 am »
Sure that sounds cool and viable, though I am not sure if it is going to be a clone of particle beam rifles.