project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO: Female Invasion?  (Read 23813 times)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Female Invasion?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 03:24:45 am »
Do we also have that male/female distribution prob on linux ?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 04:48:43 pm »
Do we also have that male/female distribution prob on linux ?

I can find out - my desktop computer had this issue with the game under Windows, and the same computer also has Xubuntu Linux installed.

I'll try to find time this weekend to grab an SVN copy under Linux on that machine and find out if it behaves the same or not.

Offline EsbenMoseHansen

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 05:04:12 pm »
Side Note:  What is a good way of getting random numbers anyways?  One that's cross-platform and not tied to MS?
I could really use something like that for another project...

As with all things C++, boost is the answer: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/random/index.html That library will also be part of the C++ standard, offering 3 different random number generators depending on the quality you need, and will work on any platform you could possibly need.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:08 pm »
As with all things C++, boost is the answer: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/random/index.html That library will also be part of the C++ standard, offering 3 different random number generators depending on the quality you need, and will work on any platform you could possibly need.

Thanks!  This is exactly something I was looking for.

Offline O01eg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:17 am »
Boost in C? It's terrible.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
Boost in C? It's terrible.

Actually, the other project I would use such a library for is coded in C++, not C like UFO:AI.
(My fault, I didn't mention that.)

Offline Valaska

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:44 am »
 That US Army study was Bull swear word, like most US army "research" such as on dragon scale, the XM8 etc, complete and utter crap from incompetent half wits. Take your info from the Marines, who actually value a soldier regardless of gender, women can ignore pain easier and have a higher tolerance for general combat fatigue.

That and most the women in the military have been fighting their entire life so the average Joe Shmoe that joins up has to work up for a few years just to get up to their level. Ex military here, a female soldier is just as good as a male soldier, and don't give me this "Women should be weaker" bull. Its complete crap, maybe city girls or glam girls sure, but these are soldiers trained to the SAME standards as their male counterparts.

Offline Kiashu

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 01:34:36 pm »
It is indeed unrealistic.

And realism is very important in a game about fighting an invasion of psychic aliens with lasers and plasma grenades and faster-than-light travel.

Or you could just, you know, play the damned game.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
there has been some progress in medicine and switching gender is a lot easier, so you do not know which soldier was born male or female.
so it does not matter if male and female soldier stats should be the same or not.
how long have you lived without switching gender? boring, isn't it?

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 03:33:51 am »
there has been some progress in medicine and switching gender is a lot easier, so you do not know which soldier was born male or female.
so it does not matter if male and female soldier stats should be the same or not.
how long have you lived without switching gender? boring, isn't it?

some people just cant make up thier minds.

But physiologically, men devlop muscle mass faster than women, among other things, thanks to the whole hormone thing (Testosterone vs Estrogen), so when someone says "Female soldiers should be the same as male soldiers! FLAME FLAME FLAME", I say "No. Science, current real science, says no. Go cry now.", and training to same standards does not mean that they will reach the same standards. Development differes on more than just gender.

Not sexist, just get tired of these kinds of arguments

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 12:07:48 am »
[KINDA OFFTOPIC]
By 2084, how much estrogene do you expect to be in our drinking water ? Maybe men will be reduced to the stats of females ?
[/KINDA OFFTOPIC]

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:50 am »
[KINDA OFFTOPIC]
By 2084, how much estrogene do you expect to be in our drinking water ? Maybe men will be reduced to the stats of females ?
[/KINDA OFFTOPIC]

Oh, you should see where I live, in a suburb just west of the city of Cleveland in the United States - We have all kinds of drugs and chemicals in our drinking water now, and it is causing problems, as we get it from Lake Erie right to the north.  (Yes, the large body of water that actually caught on fire once because of all the crap floating in it, a number of years back...)

Offline SgtDave

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:59 am »
That US Army study was Bull swear word, like most US army "research" such as on dragon scale, the XM8 etc, complete and utter crap from incompetent half wits. Take your info from the Marines, who actually value a soldier regardless of gender, women can ignore pain easier and have a higher tolerance for general combat fatigue.

That and most the women in the military have been fighting their entire life so the average Joe Shmoe that joins up has to work up for a few years just to get up to their level. Ex military here, a female soldier is just as good as a male soldier, and don't give me this "Women should be weaker" bull. Its complete crap, maybe city girls or glam girls sure, but these are soldiers trained to the SAME standards as their male counterparts.

1. The anabolic testosterone is a key factor in muscle development and bone density. While there is enough variety that on both ends of the spectrum, there is some overlap between males and females, on average men have ten times as much testosterone as women. Women are weaker on average. This is why sports events seperate by gender.

2. The myth about a higher pain threshold of women is based on observations of women during childbirth. However, it's now well known that during this time their body pumps out different chemicals. This increases their pain threshold during this time. From an abstract, "There was a significant decline in pain threshold after labor as compared to pain threshold during labor [...] Pain intensity using the VRS score was higher during labor than before labor [...] We found a significant rise in pain threshold during labor in term pregnancies." In fact, with the exception of pregnancy, it is men who have a slightly higher pain threshold.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:43:22 am by SgtDave »

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 05:00:45 am »
so, if we wanted soldiers with higher pain threshold then we should recruit pregnant women.
i wonder where this discussion getting to. we need new models for female soldiers?
maybe the chemicals that increase pain threshold could be injected rather?

Offline kodosapiens

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
Do aliens in UFO:AI have females? Just curious.