project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Plasma powered flamethrower?  (Read 28997 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Plasma powered flamethrower?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:17 pm »
Note that human weapons are SUPPOSED to be obsoleted by alien weaponry. Such expansions have been suggested (and rejected) before. Of course, it'd be perfectly fine to make a mod to that effect, but it won't be for the stock game.

All human weapons or just standard ones?

Cause things like railguins/coilguns and lasers can be brutally effective ginven enough power and technical finesse.
And then you have "basic" weapons that are improved (with things like plasma rockets/granades)

Cause advanced human weapons are based on the combination of alien and human tech and know-how. I fail to see why they would be inferior. I for one don't use plasma guns at all cause I find lasers a better choice (amazing accuracy)

Surrealistik

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »
Yes, sadly plasma weapons as is are pretty worthless. They're reasonably strong, but are largely TU inefficient, inaccurate, have a small clip size (Blaster aside), and are painfully short ranged. For all these reasons I too find lasers and even some conventional bullet based weaponry to be preferable to them. In all fairness though, lasers tend to be superior to most weapons, including particle beam weaponry due to their reliability save in cramped levels where more TU efficient but inaccurate weaponry is optimal.

I might consider using plasma weaponry in a niche CQC assault role if the damage were to be substantially increased.

EDIT: Looking through the most recent 2.3 stats, I find that the plasma weapons have been significantly improved. I'll have to do some more in game testing to determine if they're now truly viable. My only complaint is that their automatic (including burst) modes are horribly and blatantly TU inefficient as compared to those of their conventional counterparts.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:00:14 pm by Surrealistik »

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 01:34:36 am »
Your fancy words do not scare me.

You are describing the electro laser already in development. End of discussion.  ;D

Surrealistik

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 02:36:38 am »
The electrolaser projects an electric charge via one possible method that might be also used to channel a continuous stream of superheated plasma which is generally a lot deadlier.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:56:29 am by Surrealistik »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:13 pm »
EDIT: This post was targeted at a post right before it. The account has been deleted by now, so the post is gone.

I think your post is rather unrelated and that you are a spambot.
Go ahead and prove that I'm wrong ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:45:09 pm by Duke »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2009, 09:35:43 pm »
I think your post is rather unrelated and that you are a spambot.
Go ahead and prove that I'm wrong ;)

No offense if we're wrong, but I am starting to agree, D. Viomo - especially with your profile's listed "website" under your name, which set's off a few red flags with me...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 09:44:09 pm »
Well, how about that...

That spam-bot was clever.   :o

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 09:47:47 pm »
BTAxis deleted the account.

It's an ELIZA-type bot that I've aleady seen on other forums. Would be quite interesting to learn how they do it.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 09:51:23 pm »
I figured someone deleted it.

I'm guessing it has some type of intelligent program that looks at common words and themes in posts and uses that to decide what type of post to generate, but it sounds like you know more than I do, considering I've never heard of ELIZA (as applied to a spam program) before - although I do have some idea of what a spam-bot is.

Side note: I've heard for years about programs that analyze text, to intelligently find common words and meanings of phrases, one fun thing to do is run such a program on a speech given by an American politician and watch with amusement as a big ZERO comes up, meaning the speech pretty much means nothing and is mostly inflated buzz-words...

EDIT: On the flip side, I've seen some programs that generate meaningless buzz-word phrases if you want to give such a speech, some of them are even web-based and can work on a website through the browser.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:55:20 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2009, 10:21:29 pm »
Correction: American politician ;)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2009, 10:25:39 pm »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »
Back pon topic tugh: Plasma weaposn are sorta alien shotguns. I find it better if they don't have longer range. Keeping the plasma together at all is incredibly difficult. It's basicly a waste of effort and energy.