project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Idea. Developers plz. pay attention  (Read 6145 times)

Offline kokon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Idea. Developers plz. pay attention
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:11:55 pm »
X-Com was my favorite game.
I think Allien Invasion is by far worse.
I don't like environment. It was so nice in x-com. Real countries. Why do we have this stupid geopolitical situation.
In x-com i had a feeling that aliens could invade my own city. Now playing in fictional and futuristicaly wrong geopolitical map i do not have this feeling absolutely.
First plz bring all real countries back. Together with x-com scary music and graphics and other things that would be much better.
Fix this moron cartoon units and make them look like in x-com

Offline ojasper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Idea. Developers plz. pay attention
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:23:10 pm »
Quote from: kokon
"futuristicaly wrong geopolitical map"..
What?

Further, i bet that the developers didn't want to make a game exactly like another game. Simply because that other game already exists..

Quote from: kokon
In x-com i had a feeling that aliens could invade my own city. Now playing in fictional and futuristicaly wrong geopolitical map i do not have this feeling absolutely.
All those spaceships round the base gave me the idea that in-principle the base could get attacked, but it didn't happen. Not sure if it is implemented.. Of course, the aliens can only attack your base if they find it(or get incredibly lucky), but since your craft come from there they might be able to track it down.

The units look fine. You're a bigmouth, if you don't like the game, make one yourself, or don't play it..

Offline kokon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 05:41:05 pm »
Re:
In x-com i had a feeling that aliens could invade my own city
I meant IRL.

Sorry for offensiveness. IRL i am a game developer but have no time now. UFO was my favorite game as i said above and i would like it to be better but not worse. Since Terror from the deep and possibly Apocalypse there was nothing cool.

X-com was the best. It's plot and entourage were great. Ufo Extraterrestrials for example is a piece of shit.

I hope this game would incorporate x-com best ideas one day. It is open source and should not die soon.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:46:41 pm by kokon »

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »
If you are a game developer, you should know how to approach game developers if you want your ideas to be taken seriously.

Andy

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:02:12 am »
Well, first off, development is rather active, especially compared to many other open source projects I've seen, I don't think there's any risk this project will "die soon."

Second, the old soldier units are actually going to be replaced, that's already underway, they just aren't ready yet.

As for the map, the game takes place some ~80 years in the future, I think the political situation was intenionally set the way it is to simplify the background so world politics would be less of a big factor and the player could concentrate more on fighting aliens, and not as much having to worry about real international politics, economics, etc.  (Winter, correct me if I'm wrong.)

We don't "incorporate" all of the "best ideas" because we aren't making a re-make of the original, we're making a game inspired by the original and don't have the intellectual property rights to the original anyways.  Some of the basic concepts are the same, yes, but this project has a very different game-world on purpose.

Edit: Have you seen the developing 2.3, which is very different from the old stable 2.2.1 on Sourceforge?  You might be happier when 2.3 becomes stable and is released.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:04:11 am by Destructavator »

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:39 am »
@Viento:  ;D

I agree to Destructavator - it's not a simple remake (where you can find enough of).
If you had the current political structures etc in the game, you would face the same kind of discussion now the other way round: Either people will complain about being not futuristic enough, or some will say their country (or their preferred "enemy" ;)) is somewhat over-/underrepresented. May be we have big movements in the next years (think about the "reunion" of eastern and western Germany - noone expected that), so the map would be wrong anyway!
So in my opinion it's the best way to place the story quite far in the future (but not so far we can't identify ourselves there) and make it clearly fictious - including politics...

Offline ojasper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:30:33 pm »
Btw, question: Are base attacks implemented? What form do they take? I think they should be, perhaps including a message at some point recommending to split the aircraft leaving points and the research/construction area, to reduce risk of losing a big base,

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:16:40 pm »
Btw, question: Are base attacks implemented? What form do they take? I think they should be, perhaps including a message at some point recommending to split the aircraft leaving points and the research/construction area, to reduce risk of losing a big base,

Base attacks are implemented in 2.3-dev.

-geever

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 01:38:32 am »
If you are a game developer, you should know how to approach game developers if you want your ideas to be taken seriously.

Andy

Probably doesn't matter much, but I don't see this statement as true. Having the same job as someone else hasn't helped me talk to 'my own kind'. Actually, for some reason, I tend to annoy people a lot when I talk to them, even if they have the same job as me. I figure that's because I'm different than they are - for one, I speak my mind, and I don't kindly beat around the bush to make it sound better.

It's a bad, bad way to do things, but it really has no influence on who I am talking to, whether they have the same job as me or not...

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 02:19:14 am »
@criusmac:
You're not alone. Many people have that problem.
Don't know if that's available for you, but you should take some 'communication classes'.
Else you'll have to figure it out yourself by 'trial & error' :(

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »
@criusmac:
You're not alone. Many people have that problem.
Don't know if that's available for you, but you should take some 'communication classes'.
Else you'll have to figure it out yourself by 'trial & error' :(

... or just stay the way you are and send the others to a class  ;)

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »
The problem isn't so much about people vs. people.

I remember that I used to have quarrels on web forums with other people, and a good reallife friend had quarrels with completely other people. What I am saying here is that people will always have different opinion and discuss them heavily.

What, however, is also valid is that we all have limited time.

kokon made a big mistake - it is ok to critizise aspects, but if you then say you have no time to help fix them, your opinion is USELESS. If you want to see something changed, INVEST YOUR OWN TIME and help the overall project succeed.

A rant alone really does not change much.

Also, about project activity - from my personal observation, Ufo:AI is more active nowadays than perhaps 3 years ago.

I know that guys like BTAxis are still around, just not so active on the forum anymore.

All I am saying is that kokon really made a big mistake in communication. You can't just enter a community and try to disrupt it with your opinion without in ANY WAY trying to help it.

I myself try to comment on things patiently, and if they dont happen the way I would like them I don't really mind much, really. As long as the game is fun, the direction is good!

... or just stay the way you are and send the others to a class

Yes but... most open source games are a "do-ocracy", meaning that the people who invest more of their time, and help make a project grow, get to decide more than others. That is just natural, really.

kokon came, critisized in general, said he had no time, and went away again? That doesn't help anyone, really. :>

The other remark ... about recreating "old feelings" ... well, I do understand that. I loved UFO I II and apocalypse....
But you can't just "snip" your fingers and have these work magically in the year 2009 just like that. It is hard to grow a project. Perhaps kokon didn't help out in an open source game project yet, then his opinion would be different and much more patient too.

Not trying to attack kokon here, really. My opinion is just one more opinion. But if he gets annoyed at it ... well, you have to cope with complaints at your person, and either handle them patiently, or impatiently. ;-)

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:33 am »
... or just stay the way you are and send the others to a class  ;)
You usually can't send the 'other guys' to classes. Unfortunately:(

My point was that if you feel that *you* have a problem with communication, you can *learn* it (at least improve).
If you master the art of communication, you can get almost everything from 'them', just like a yedi knight ;)

Many of the bad things (in this project, on the internet, in this whole world,...) come from bad communication.
So try to improve, it's really *worth* the effort !

Back from 'the whole world' to the simple things: give me a *precise* bug description and you'll probably get the fix ;)
You see how hard communication can be ?

Offline lkzwieder

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 05:59:51 pm »
First, sorry about my english.

I agree with kokon in only one thing, x-com is the best of the UFO series. But ask for changes in an agressive way... is imprudent and stupid.

I'm still downloading UFO:AI... so, I cannot speak properly about this work. By the way, thanks for all this efforts.

Lkzwieder, Bs As, Argentina.

Offline poppadrake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 12:27:11 am »

Second, the old soldier units are actually going to be replaced, that's already underway, they just aren't ready yet.

Kind of like the current soldier units...cigars, brush cuts and all.  I like my entertainment to be more entertaining than realistic, but that's just me.  Keep up the good work!!  I really appreciate the open-source community and this project in particular.