project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Donations?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline CrackedButter

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Donations?
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:35:46 am »
I've done a search and flicked through the pages on this site but I can't find the ability to donate money to this project.  The question does come up in a search and donations are welcomed but I find no way to do this.  Can somebody help please?

I did find this thread: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=652.0

I quote:
no, it will be a free game :)
but besides that afaik there are no plans do raise any other money than donations, if at all.
to give a short hint on this "demo" statement within the game. THis has rather few connections to what you might be used to as demos of commercial games. It rather refers to the fact that it is/was a techdemo whichs main reason is to show the potential of the game and to raise awareness. As you have witnessed there is a lot of work to be done until the first real final can be release so any help and skill you might have to offer is welcome.

best regards, Eric.

So where can I donate?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:23:18 am by Mattn »

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Donations?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »
First off, thanks for *wanting* to donate :)

The SF donation system has been disabled for this project. Most of the devs have jobs :)
But there are some that seem to be 'poor' students (and have rather outdated machines).
So maybe we should consider accepting donations to help them buy a new PC ?

The project encourages grateful users to contribute (artwork, coding, testing,...) to the project, provived their skills allow for that.
If not, feel free to simply enjoy the game ;)

One last thought: If it makes you feel better to donate money somehow, you could also donate it to a charity org of your choice *and* report it here. That would certainly be appreciated by the devs :)

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:22:02 pm »
One last thought: If it makes you feel better to donate money somehow, you could also donate it to a charity org of your choice *and* report it here. That would certainly be appreciated by the devs :)

Why not donate "indirectly" to free software  (FLOSS)? http://donate.fsf.org/

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:35:01 am »
The big problem with most charities that take money is very little ends up getting to the end-recipients that need it, most major organizations of such a type end up with ~less than five percent or so in actual funds at the end.  This is even true for major groups such as United Way.

A really good way to give, one where nearly all of it gets through, and one where help is badly needed is food for food drives.  With the economy having gone down the toilet, many food banks have run out and closed, and many people in many nations are starving.  Even in wealthy nations like Germany, and in developed places with lots of agriculture like the United States of America (which exports lots of food), millions of people still don't have enough food to put on the table and survive.

I know how it goes, a long time back I was one of those people who received food from food drives, so I have some idea of what its like.  (Fortunately, now I have my own place, a car, etc.)

Clothing also helps, especially now with winter weather coming in many places.

Edit:  There are also groups that take old, used computers and fix them up for the poor, some groups also take other electronics and household stuff, I've also seen some places that will even happily accept old furniture and pass it on to those who need it.  I don't know what its like where you live, but around where I am these groups are easy to find.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:38:44 am by Destructavator »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:44:59 am »
> Why not donate "indirectly" to free software  (FLOSS)
Why just not throw away your money? It will be faster than "donate to free software". And will have the same level of sence.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:25 pm »
Why just not throw away your money? It will be faster than "donate to free software". And will have the same level of sence.

Ah, right, I forgot this is the brainless polemics forum.
If you don't like free software, you shouldn't hang around in a gpl game forum, and if you don't have arguments, go write youtube comments.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 08:59:45 pm »
Ah, right, I forgot this is the brainless polemics forum.
If you don't like free software, you shouldn't hang around in a gpl game forum, and if you don't have arguments, go write youtube comments.

XavierXN, would you please not send away people who help us making the game?
Thanks!

-geever