project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Is this ANOTHER TOOL for mapping?  (Read 4333 times)

Offline xcom9

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Is this ANOTHER TOOL for mapping?
« on: November 01, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »
http://www.garagegames.com/products/constructor

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5959/torqueconstructortool.jpg

Its FREE.   I downloaded it and tried loading a UFOAI map into.   It loads but it sometimes says; 1 out of 1001 brushes was malformed.  Or 4 out of 2034 brushes was malformed.    It seems to load ok.  Has anyone tried this before?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Is this ANOTHER TOOL for mapping?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 07:51:00 am »
...But can it export to BSP?  And even if it could, I've seen different types of BSP maps before, with the format not consistent as it depends a bit on the graphics/game engine that is used to read them, could it export to the type of BSP that UFO: AI uses with all the necessary information?

If it can't, it doesn't look like its open source, which means we couldn't modify it to suit our needs like with Radiant.

I admit I could be wrong, I don't do coding for this project, but it might not work.

Offline xcom9

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:48:28 pm »
It exports to

.map
.csx
.dif
tgea dif
.lwo

I thought you only need to export to .map?   Isn't there a .map to .bsp converter somewhere I saw?
http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/quake_1_mapping/b50022/7551451/p1/
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=83&o=30

Couldn't one make .map in Torque then and load it into Radiant to convert to .bsp?
I'm in the process of learning this stuff and reading the tutorials on Radiant, so that may be a dumb question.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:22 pm »
At first, it require registration on the site to download «full version for 0$». Well, there is demo version, so let`s think that they are the same.

At second — it require to register on site and register the programm, otherwise only "quit" is avialable. Fortunately "uninstall" available too, so let`s allow this "product" to move to trashcan.

PS: there is ufo2map — .map to .bsp converter.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:08:33 pm »
Well, I suppose one could design the map in Torque, then, as mentioned, load it in UFORadiant to touch up any changes before using ufo2map to compile it - no one will stop you if you want to try doing this - but I doubt it would become the main, recommended, or supported map editor for UFO: AI, simply because it isn't open-source, and because of how the program requires registration with a third-party commercial company.

If you want to try it, test it with a simple map, and it works in this game, that's great, but I have a feeling the main, supported map-editor for UFO: AI will probably still be the custom UFORadiant.

Is there anything in particular that this new map editor does that UFORadiant doesn't, that makes you want to switch?

Offline xcom9

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:13 pm »
I'm just looking for a better terrain editor, more powerful.  Like Blender or a 3D modeller to make terrain.   If I can use Blender it would be alot faster or easier for me.  I believe Mattn said they raised the polycount considerably and he said UFOAI can do bump maps now.  But none of the screenshots show either.

Almost every freeware that I use asks for registration.  I use Comodo firewall; free, which asks for regirstration, I use Avira Antivirus Free, which asks for
registration.   The Torque mapper asked for registration, but the program is the full version, as far as I know no limitations.   I'll send them an email asking them if I can use it to make maps for UFOAI for legal reasons.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:32:45 pm »
Well, if the legal stuff works out, you're welcome to use it - although I'd recommend testing it by building a simple and quickly-made map first to make sure it would work.  I'd hate for you to build an elaborate map only to find that it won't import into the game properly and have all that time wasted.