project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Seams showing between brushes?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Seams showing between brushes?
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:38:35 am »
I'm working on a series of street textures that can be mixed and matched to blend seamless transitions for different street needs. I've got the texture itself blending well (mostly), but when I render it in-game, I can see the seam. And it doesn't appear to be the texture seam, but rather the seam between the brushes. See the attached photo.

Now, I've caulked all the faces of the brushes except the top faces. Is this a lighting issue between brushes and is there a workaround? Are vertices welded in this game, ie - do I need to match up all the vertices of adjoining brushes for seamless transitions?

Thanks.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Seams showing between brushes?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
i will check the opengl texture upload when i'm at home - can you please mail me your map + textures?

maybe it's a problem with the border handling of the upload or wrong min/max filters.

No, you don't have to match up all the vertices of your nearby brushes for seamless transition - it should work without.

You know the radiant feature of texture lock and copy/paste a texture to the face of another brush, don't you? which grid settings are you using? you should always snap to grid and you should really only use grid sizes < 1 if you really have to (and even then you should think about it again ;) ).

It might also be a lighting issue. but i can really only say more about it when i get the data and did some tests.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Seams showing between brushes?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:02 am »
Email sent.

And yeah I'm aware of texture lock. But the pieces of the street are built to tile around a 64x64 grid, so I build my brushwork with this in mind and never use any texture shift on the streets.