project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Impressions about base defence  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
Impressions about base defence
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:29:10 am »
Base defence is set as the first mission in revision 2736, for testing. Please test!

I really enjoyed it. There were no civilians, and only 9 aliens, but it was a lot of fun.

It is bad that aliens and soldiers can't move to where there are no buildings. At least a fence is needed to make this somewhat justifiable. Perhaps enable all base squares that are adjacent (even diagonally) with the base squares and put a fence on them. Perhaps also a few alien spawn points there (on the inner side of the fence).

Very nice play. I played it to the end. Sometimes, outside the Entrance building, camera does not switch to the surface level when aliens are shooting (outsiede the wall opposite to Entrance door). Also the top platform of the stairs seems to belong to the cellar level.

To make base defense even more interesting when it's repeated, one random alien should spawn in a random room, or the aliens should have a small chance to bash doors with each shot at them, with lots of noise, to attract player's attention. Also alien spawn points should be outside all buildings, so that they storm the Power Plant doors from many directions. There should be no alien spawn points around or inside the Power Plant and there should be especially many around and inside the Entrance, and slightly less for Dropship Hangar, Interceptor Hangar, Radar, UFO Hangar. Civilian spawn points should be only inside buildings and not in those that many aliens spawn in. There should also be some things for hiding behind on top of Storage building and perhaps elsewhere on top of buildings.

HaJo

Re: Impressions about base defence
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:09:36 pm »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
It is bad that aliens and soldiers can't move to where there are no buildings.
At least a fence is needed to make this somewhat justifiable.

The whole base is underground, so "no building" means "filled with earth".

v29a

Impressions about base defence
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:39:34 pm »
no ... some buildings have constructions that reach over earth level ... others dont.

but soldiers cant walk over buildings that are completly burried

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:07:11 pm »
I just experienced my first base attack mission... which doesn't seem to have changed too much, according to this old description.

And while I didn't test where the soldiers can move, what I wonder is: Do you want any battle to take place outside, on the surface?
Is that the reason there are so many buildings sticking out? To provide cover?

Because that struck me as rather illogical - since it defeats the purpose of building an *underground* base in the first place. If it was up to me, there would be at least one more layer of earth covering each tile... with only a few trees, a radar dish and some camouflaged gates above.

I know this is just an unimportant detail, or probably a design decision. Still, it's something that strained my willing suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:09:32 pm by Vio »

odie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:52:58 am »
I just experienced my first base attack mission... which doesn't seem to have changed too much, according to this old description.

And while I didn't test where the soldiers can move, what I wonder is: Do you want any battle to take place outside, on the surface?
Is that the reason there are so many buildings sticking out? To provide cover?

Because that struck me as rather illogical - since it defeats the purpose of building an *underground* base in the first place. If it was up to me, there would be at least one more layer of earth covering each tile... with only a few trees, a radar dish and some camouflaged gates above.

I know this is just an unimportant detail, or probably a design decision. Still, it's something that strained my willing suspension of disbelief.

oooo, u got ur first attack since revamped?

And its outside (outdoors?)

Mine has always been indoors. Lol.
Could u attach ur savegame for this and let me have some fun too? :P

I wanted to see wat u mean..... and u can surely attach some screenies for us here to show us wat u meant? :D

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:44:23 pm »
The battle did not start outdoors (although I met one or two tamans on the surface near the entrance).

I was just wondering why the surface looks like it does, instead of being, you know, a *secret* base.