project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: After several *years*, finally purchased a couple of commercial games  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
I've come to realize I've fallen behind in the gaming world, at least in the commercial area - The last time I've really sat down to play a commercial game for a while was way back, with Soldier of Fortune II, Deus Ex, Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy, and Max Payne I and II.

I finally broke down and decided to purchase a couple of games that I've heard about, just for the hey of it to see how games have evolved since then in the commercial area.

I didn't get real recent titles, I wanted some that have been around for a bit so the price would be much lower, and patches would be out so they wouldn't be so buggy, also so that I would know they would run on my hardware that doesn't have a upwards-of-half-a-thousand-dollar-or-other-absurd-price-monster-of-a-gaming video card.  (I actually have a hundred-dollar PCI express card, nothing real fancy though.)

From Amazon.com, I ended up grabbing Doom 3 and Far Cry.  I played Doom I and II back when they came out (actually, I had a friend who showed me Doom I back before it was officially released, in an early stage - don't ask me how he got the copy -  ;) - Loooooong story...), but never played the III, so I finally got that one.

Far Cry I know little about, picked it out almost at random, mostly because it sounded like it was good.

Just to check, for those who know - is the latest Doom 3 patch 1.3.1?

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: After several *years*, finally purchased a couple of commercial games
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:07 am »
Some great games worth looking at are the common ones mentioned here:

Battle for Wesnoth
Runes of Magic (It's ok, and will at least show you somewhat what your hardware is able to do)
Atlantica Online

These I think are good games worth trying, and the price is right too.

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:52 pm »
i really loved to play farcry. so i think you will like it but doom 3.... wasnt what i expected

odie

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »
Just to check, for those who know - is the latest Doom 3 patch 1.3.1?

Try this:
Patch for Doom 3

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:41:31 am »
I got Aion, and saving up for GW2

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:26:50 am »
To be honest I've never heard of some of the other games mentioned here.  I'm also really not into the online stuff, and especially not into the "massive multiplayer" type of thing - I typically prefer single player, I used to try online multiplayer games but had some bad experiences for a number of reasons and didn't enjoy it.

One problem is the way many online games implement multiplayer, the way they do it doesn't appeal to me at all.  I like to have a strong plot with more than one ending, characters that react and change, and set up so that how they are treated in one part of the game affects how things happen later on.  I've yet to see any cooperative-play multiplayer game that has a full plot like this.  Imagine if you could play Deus Ex again in the full plot of the single player game, but with another (real) person by your side throughout the entire story.  I think that's much better than just having a map and mindlessly running around trying to blast each other with no real point, no plot, no depth.  Add to that the fact that in my experience in online multiplayer, one also has to worry about people who cheat and hack the game left and right, especially after many of them didn't even really purchase or legally obtain the game in the first place!  Anytime you have multiple people involved who can come and go in anything, there's always "bad seeds" who 'eff it up for everyone else.

Offline mutant

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:13 am »
Any of you ever tried any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They focus on singleplayer and I love them.
The only flaw in them is that some people find that it can be hard to get running, due to bugs.
Luckily after patching Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky I've never really had a problem.
The first 2 can also be pretty resource-intensive, haven't tried the 3rd yet as I do not speak Russian but I imagine it being the same.

Offline xcom9

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »
Brigade E5, 7.62 High Calibre, the UFO series Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterlight, Silent Hunter IV and soon V.  All of the other games I find too boring, including Mass Effect.  But thats just my opinion.

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:36:12 am »
Any of you ever tried any of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? They focus on singleplayer and I love them.
The only flaw in them is that some people find that it can be hard to get running, due to bugs.
Luckily after patching Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky I've never really had a problem.
The first 2 can also be pretty resource-intensive, haven't tried the 3rd yet as I do not speak Russian but I imagine it being the same.

Playing STALKER was fun  :D But i only played the main game, not the extensions.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 01:52:55 am »
I'll have to look up these mentioned titles - most of them I've never heard of.

Side note:  I just found out that DOOM 3 runs under Linux, without any need for emulators!  This is great because now I don't need MS Win-sh*t on my desktop that I use for gaming, I can just use Kubuntu mostly!

The only real reason I still use Windows at all is mostly because I'm a musician and many of my DAW plug-ins and tools for recording, mixing, and making music won't work under Linux.  (Yes, I know that some can be "fudged" to work in a shell or Wine, but not all of them, I've tried.)  If it wasn't for that, I'd probably have all my computers running (some version/distro of) Linux.

Offline earthlyrays

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »
I actually loved Far Cry it's an awesome game!  Far Cry 2 is great as well.  One game that you should definately check out is Dragon Age: Origins.  Its an amazing game with a great story and fun gameplay.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
Talking about commerecial games...I recently got TES: Morrowind and it totally got me...if you like RPGs, you shouldn't miss it, and if you don't try it out anyway :D

Offline theotherhiveking

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:13 pm »
Talking about commerecial games...I recently got TES: Morrowind and it totally got me...if you like RPGs, you shouldn't miss it, and if you don't try it out anyway :D
I played it for a while not on ago and the combat system totally turned me off, Click click click click click -> miss miss miss miss miss miss.
Also, you we're kind of restricted to the weapons you had trained at the very beginning, others would not hit, and without hitting they dont improve... If it had Oblivion combat it would have been awesome.

Offline Sepelio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 12:25:24 am »
You might want to try Bioshock its absolutely excellent.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »
I played it for a while not on ago and the combat system totally turned me off, Click click click click click -> miss miss miss miss miss miss.
Also, you we're kind of restricted to the weapons you had trained at the very beginning, others would not hit, and without hitting they dont improve... If it had Oblivion combat it would have been awesome.

I found Morrowind's combat system quite okay. Not too complicated, but easy to get in. Of course you'll miss a lot at the beginning...you can't expect a beginner to swing it properly. Besides, you can pay trainers to get some skill with any weapon you want...

Anyway I more value Morrowind's open world and freedom, you can spend days exploring without having to touch main quest...