project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Killing 100 % of enemies necessary to win a ground mission?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Killing 100 % of enemies necessary to win a ground mission?
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:40:54 pm »
I would love some missions to end if I killed a certain percentage of all aliens instead of all.

I find it very tiresome (especially on the oriental urban maps) to search every single house for the one alien hiding in the bathtub.

This feature would be especially useful in larger scale missions (I've only had 7 enemies per mission up to now) when hunting down the last hidden enemy will be even more annoying because the maps are huge (base attacks!).

Another solution: If only 1 alien is left, it could...

a) ... approach the players and attack (okay, it makes no sense ingame, but it would end the mission quicker and with 100 % kills)
b) ... flee by moving to the edges of the map. (most realistic for a swarm-being who knows that all the others are dead)
c) ... give the player the choice: when the "win percentage" is reached he can: "Accept" (end get only the percentage of the points for the mission) or "Search the rest" (and thus gets 100 % of the points awarded)

I can remember not bothering at such searching times but my time has become more limited and thus wasting time on a mission that feels as if it was already completed has become an issue.

Keep up the good work! :) And tnx for the project!

Andreas
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:42:44 pm by Viento »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Killing 100 % of enemies necessary to win a ground mission?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »
I would love some missions to end if I killed a certain percentage of all aliens instead of all.

That's a silly idea, sorry. I do understand the reason U ask it but it makes no sense.

There will be exit points (in dropships) once but exiting that will still mean defeat (not losing ones in dropship through).

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:33:18 pm »
there are missions with objectives - e.g. the fueldump mission. but in none objective missions you have to kill 100%

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:46:00 pm »
there are missions with objectives - e.g. the fueldump mission. but in none objective missions you have to kill 100%

Could you please elaborate a bit on that mission? Is it available in normal gameplay, or do you have to explicitly start it via the console? From which revision on is this mission available?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:20 pm »

Could you please elaborate a bit on that mission? Is it available in normal gameplay, or do you have to explicitly start it via the console? From which revision on is this mission available?

It's not (yet?) in the campaign AFAIK.

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:01:10 am »
what? it's the map fueldump - it's not yet in the campaign?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:09 am »
It is in maps.ufo, but I`m not sure, can currently missions be spawned without ufo. Also, in my opinion, that types of map|missions should be really spawned once a game ;-)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:22 am »
what? it's the map fueldump - it's not yet in the campaign?

Where should it be? I didn't meet it. Also I *think* other win conditions than killing every alien not yet implemented.

It is in maps.ufo, but I`m not sure, can currently missions be spawned without ufo.

Missions can be spawned wo UFO when they set up (alien) bases.

-geever

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:17 am »
at least it's in the maps.ufo for "cold" terrains....

and other than "kill them all" win missions are implemented - see g_spawn.c Think_Mission

we even have a basic king of hill for multiplayer and singleplayer (but this isn't 100% ready yet).