project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 5825 times)

Offline firebird76

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Newbie questions
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:06:33 am »
hi i started playing the game and i would like to know 2 things
1: how the hell can i destroy a harvester class ufo if my stilleto is shot down every time need to buy the 2nd type of aircraft for them ???
2: how can i produce items ?? i put items to produce in start of month and im now in the2nd month and it doesn't produce nothing im producing several thing like targeting computers and ammunition??
one more thing where do i see the funding im getting from the nations, and How do i capture live aliens
???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:50:17 am by firebird76 »

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:11 pm »
First of all, what version do you play? Is it 2.2.1 release or on of the current dev versions? Also, What difficulty level are you playing?

1. How do you arm your interceptor? I usually mount 2 sparrowhawk missile launchers and a tr-20 missile pod,, + armour and one of both ecm and targetting computer, and on standard difficulty settings this usually does the job. If it doesn't then try to send two inerceptors and back them up with a missile launcher from the ground (build a missile battery in your base). you can also try to lure ufos over your base with the firebird dropship (but that may take some time to learn)

2. How many workers do you have in your workshops? If you have one worker even a construction of a sniper rifle mag will take (afair) 1200h. Production times are displayed on the panel on the right. If production times don't satisfy you, construct another workshop and hire more workers.

3. funding from nations is displayed in statistics, in 2.2.1 it's one of the tabs on the lower left window, in 2.3 it is on the panel on the right.

4. to capture a live alien perform any autopsy AND research the alien breathing apparatus. That enables researching of stun rod, meele weapon used to stun and capture live aliens. There is another way, but that is up to you to discover.

hope this helps

Offline firebird76

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »
well i started on very easy to have 25 soldier to chose from to be better equipped for tactical combat and i have only a stilleto the helicopter with 2 sparrows and a cannon and every time  i lunch it, it goes down better have 2 of the Saracens no??
As for production i have one workshop or 2 i don't know i have what i got from start and it says i got 10 of 10 workers ready but a month goes by and they dont produce nothing i got them producing 2 targeting computers and ammo for my squad.
As for versions is it best that i start using 2.3 im using 2.21 and if 2.3 is stable i would like to try it.
as for research i thing its clear what u said and its fine that u didn't give the spoilers eheh i like to discover thing as game is very good remember the old but memorable ufo :)

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 02:09:50 pm »
With 10 workers it takes 572 hours to produce a targetting computer, that is almost 24 days:P It's really better to just buy that computer, especially on very easy where you have money for whatever you want. Just construct anoher workshop and hire additional 10 workers.

Use version 2.2.1, it's a stable release. 2.3 is a development version, with lots of features uncompleted, buggy disabled and/or otherwise not ready to use.

remember the old but memorable ufo :)

I'm one of those few people around here who never played any of the original UFO games, so I don't remember:P Well, I played X-COM Interceptor, but that was a totally different game.

Offline firebird76

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:31:47 pm »
Well i tried to fight a ufo harvester with 2 stilettos and they were both shot down and the ufo survived, then i lunched a Saracen and it went down and i saw the combat from close range in the map and the misses are amazing i got missiles that were shot to the right and left of my aircraft and the ufo was in front of my figher, that seem a bit ridiculous...
As far as production i tried also on my test situation to produce clips of ammunition first and i saw a difference, as they were produced, i guess producing targeting computers is a bit ridiculous but it shouldn't be i think if it was a large craft ok but a component should take less time...

As far as not playing the original series i think u should definitely get the original series especially the first ufo that is a real master piece of a game and was years advanced in concept to the time it was released, i must say i played every ufo game arround, im a very addicted fan and the game that i found better is the first and this is very good also, most came with better graphics and more stuff but i still prefer this 2 to the rest that were lunched, but one recent ufo afterlight i think that is in 3d in in mars is very good also, the rest u could do well without them...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
Well i tried to fight a ufo harvester with 2 stilettos and they were both shot down and the ufo survived, then i lunched a Saracen and it went down and i saw the combat from close range in the map and the misses are amazing i got missiles that were shot to the right and left of my aircraft and the ufo was in front of my figher, that seem a bit ridiculous...

Harvester is the biggest UFO in the game at the moment you shouldn't be able to shot it down easily. I see no problem here. Do you want to win on the very first day? What would you do after? ;)

-geever

Offline firebird76

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:09:43 pm »
oh ok. well the first ufo i see so far and im on first month is only harvesters and i tought they were a little bigger than scouts not a big big ufo, so stilettos can shoot down which ufos?? so that i decide if they are worth using or if i should stick only to Saracens till new things are discovered???

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:18:20 pm »
oh ok. well the first ufo i see so far and im on first month is only harvesters and i tought they were a little bigger than scouts not a big big ufo, so stilettos can shoot down which ufos?? so that i decide if they are worth using or if i should stick only to Saracens till new things are discovered???

I used stilettos in pair equipped with 2x sparrowhawk 1x shiva, armour, ecm and targetting computer. They can shot down scouts and fighters. Maybe more could shot down harvesters too but I had only two per base.

-geever