project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Mark as turn finished  (Read 3529 times)

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Mark as turn finished
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »
Being able to use the tab button to cycle through units is nice, and being able to use num pad to cycle is sweet too.  I would also like to have the ability to mark my units turn as being done.  Then when I hit tab the unit doesn't get selected. The number at the top, representing the unit, could also be changed to a different color.  A new button next to the stand up\squat toggle button to set as turn is finished would be nice.  And a hotkey would be nice too.  This would help with managing the units turn better.

This is not a unique idea, and was implemented in the original, tftd, or playstation version of ufo defense, if not all of them.  Forget which it was, sorry.  And it seemed to work well.

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mark as turn finished
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:24:56 pm »
I'd like to see that little feature too.

Do you happen to remember what kind of icon was on that button ?

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:44:17 am »
Granted the X:UD game didn't have all the things I described above, I was talking about Alien Invasion and how I would like to see it implemented here.  X:UD just had a few buttons to click, one that would equate to tab, and one that would remove the unit from the tab list and go to the next unit so that when we cycled through the units that unit wouldn't be selected again.  Here is the button image you requested for educational purposes only:

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:35:40 am »
Ahhh....now you have posted it, I can actually remember it. Flashback ;)

As that icon is potentially copyrighted, we need something close, but not too close to it.
Any suggestions ?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:34:01 am »

As that icon is potentially copyrighted, we need something close, but not too close to it.
Any suggestions ?

Well, perhaps we could use a single icon instead of two sub-icons and an arrow, something that universally means "You're set to go!"  ("...Because you're done moving, so I don't want to go back to you!").

For this I would almost suggest a "thumbs-up" except that outside my country that gesture can mean other things for non-American players (even an insult in some nations).  Is there something comparable that's more universal from nation to nation?

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

Any suggestions ?

Well this should be a memory refresher too - If you can remember them all  :D :o

Offline joe davis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:15 pm »
Can't say that I am the best at GUI development or icons but was thinking how about an arrow that performed the tab function, ie tabbed to next person, and right next to that icon have a check box that when checked would mark the unit as having its turn finished.  If this was placed above the squat\stand button and check box then it wouldn't look out of place.  Just a thought.