project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base attack  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Base attack
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:01:01 pm »
I think there is a problem with base attack in 2.3-dev, they are far to common and not sufficiently hard. After a few missions I could keep all nations exuberant on standard difficulty by just defeating base attacks and not going out to intercept ufos or terror missions anymore. At the same time when I tried to build a second base on the other side of the planet after a few months it kept being attacked before i could finish building quarters and other buildng destroying the base except for the stairs, and after a few tries i gave up on actually building the base. Is there some way to park a dropship there as a guard detail or something?

I'd suggest that base attack missions give less happiness to the various countries and to make them a little rarer. does anyone else have similar experiences?

Offline Tlactar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Base attack
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:57 pm »
hey!

how far are you in the game if i might ask? For my taste there are far too few base attacks... for me it's December now and the only base attacks i had were when i just fast forwarded the game, ignoring all the messages i got. Playing the way i think i'm supposed to be (shooting all UFOs i see) there hasn't been a single Base attack yet... peeeerhaps letting those Aliens fly around as they want (quote = "not going out to intercept ufos or terror missions anymore") is the reason they visit you so regularly? ;)
I got 4 bases now, and only one of them has soldiers because until now there was no need at all to defend them *g*

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
Perhaps sometimes the aliens are more aggressive than at other times. Could be a secret strategy... make you believe they are weak, and then WOSH suddenly when you don't expect it, they go and destroy you ... ;)

Offline Tlactar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:24:30 pm »
well that would be nasty! :D

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 12:25:30 pm »
What should I do to have my base attacked? Shall I send and loose hundreds of interceptors so that the enemy knows where I am or what?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:00:51 pm »
What should I do to have my base attacked? Shall I send and loose hundreds of interceptors so that the enemy knows where I am or what?

Just play well. :)

-geever

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 04:18:05 pm »
"Well"? I played "well" for, like, 5 months, winning every available mission and shooting down some UFOs (mostly supplies, scouts and fighters), but still no base attack. Maybe I should screw something up? Well, whatever, I'm going to find out, I guess:P

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
Is it 2.2.x? I'm not sure if base attacks were in 2.2 series...

-geever

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »
Maybe i should be intercepting various ufo's but base attacks still give too much happiness. sure it kills aliens but base attacks should not give much happiness, the politiians wouldn't care that you fended off a dozen attacks on your base if one attack on the capital went unopposed. Base attacks where the base is destoryed should give some unhappiness though.

It's the dev branch.

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »
Is it 2.2.x? I'm not sure if base attacks were in 2.2 series...

-geever

Guess that might be the reason (2.2.1), I didn't play 2.3 for that long because I got bored of all the same repetitive random generated maps

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »
Guess that might be the reason (2.2.1), I didn't play 2.3 for that long because I got bored of all the same repetitive random generated maps

Hmm, random is boring, fixed is fun?

-geever

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 08:59:41 pm »
Random is nice if you don't have 3 farms in a row:P but that's what I could get used to, what i really didnt like was a harvester on most missions and 1-2 aliens inside it, and it (the harvester) always had to be cleared in almost the same way. Adding the problem of invisible aliens hidden within obstacles makes me want to wait for some more revisions:P

There are IMO not enough terrain features in random maps (no piles of crates lying on the ground, no lone tree next to some kind of a road and so on - I'd love to make some but currently I have no time to even start learning how to do that) which made me feel that I'm playing the very same mission over again, that's why I would like to play a fixed mission once in a while (I don't remember a campaign where I played a fixed mission twice).