project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Concept - Frogman  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Concept - Frogman
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »
I suck as a concept artist, but you get the idea. Basically, if I had this 2m tall mixture between a frog, salamander and gecko standing in front of me - possibly in different colours, and possibly much more well-drawn - I would shit my pants.

Thoughts?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Re: Concept - Frogman
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:13:38 am »
Er, with all due respect, I think we'll pass on this one. I for one couldn't take it seriously.

Regards,
Winter

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:06:31 am »
Well, they say reptiles would be the rulers of the planet if not for smoking. Who knows what happened on other planets? (Smoking being all the dust thrown up by the impact, not cigarettes as some advertisements say).

From what I've read, life continually evolves in similar patterns, even far away from each other (on earth at least). This leads me to believe aliens would be somewhat earth like in appearance, at least, if they came from a similar world as ours.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:53:08 am »
I remember a long time ago seeing an article written by scientific experts where a bunch of scientists put together a full-size color drawing of what a "reptile-man" would look like if the dinosaurs had not died out and present-day intelligent human-like people had evolved from it.

It was very interesting - I thought they explained quite well how the hypothetical reptile-man got to look the way it did.

I just wish I had a link or something - because it would be a good concept for something that could evolve on another planet...

Ildamos

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »
@OP: Daemonites?

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »
Thoughts?

It looks... cute? And goofy, standing upright on sprawled legs.
Not very fearsome.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:56:58 pm »
Yeah, it does look a little like something from some cartoon show a child would watch, no offense.

Perhaps if it was textured with skin that was rough, perhaps even to the point of being ugly to look at - alien-like in some way, instead of "toon-like" it might have a better chance.

Sorry for being critical, but the first thing that comes to mind when I see it is I can imagine it being on a little kid's T-shirt or something, or backpack for school, so he/she can show off that they watch some cartoon with their favorite character "such-and-such the frog!"

With some work though, like I said it could potentially evolve into something that looks like a hostile alien.

Edit: Perhaps if in addition to a better texture, if it also had more muscle and looked like it could really rip one's head off, and appeared dangerous, that might do it.  I suppose you could also add claws, fangs, and such, but as I said in another thread I'd recommend thinking through how it evolved and what type of environment it came from, how it survived, etc.

...But bottom line, you don't want something a child would watch or get a plush doll of to sing and dance with, for this game I'd suggest something that eats children!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:07:07 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:35 pm »
It sounds like an ok concept.
I also think it would do well to draw inspiration from various "frogman" myths from earth culture.

Take the Japanese Kappa for example, A humanoid snapping turtle with a beak and a dish of water on it's head.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

Offline Imposeren

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:18:45 pm »

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 06:30:40 am »
It sounds like an ok concept.
I also think it would do well to draw inspiration from various "frogman" myths from earth culture.

Take the Japanese Kappa for example, A humanoid snapping turtle with a beak and a dish of water on it's head.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)
Then all soldiers would have to do is bow, lol

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:38:27 am »
Deep Ones? (=

and that one shows again: an idea needs a good presentation :).
every saurian looking creature that has many aspects from a human fits to ufo, but it shouldnt look funny. i hope more different creatures come in the game. not all organic so that u need to take just one kind of weapon with u of course.

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 12:22:29 pm »
Well the reason it looks like a cartoon frog is because I suck at drawing. Doesn't help that I wipped it up in 30 mins either. The drawing lacks depth, detail, has bad colours and the frog has this stupid facial expression that reminds me of a goofy smile. Not scary.

Basically the kind of creature that I had in my mind when I put this to paper was some sort of mixture between a Gecko from Fallout2, Randall Boggs from Monsters, Inc. (sorry for the cartoon analogy Destructavator), and maybe a poison dart frog.
If I were to take the garbage out at night and suddenly one of those things stood 2m tall and with a plasma rifle in their hand in front of me, with their slimey skin glissening in the sterile light of a street lamp, I would _not_ think of cartoons.

Anyways, I'm not going to turns this one into another "but Winter, why not"-thread. If I have time and nothing better to do, I'll redraw this or start modeling it as a personal excercise. If any good results come up, I'll post it.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:57 am »
or start modeling it as a personal excercise

Always a good idea, I say. I've never had much talent for modeling things like that, or at all, come to think of it. If you find it challenging, then its a good way to get good