project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Redo of Soldier Body model  (Read 60616 times)

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Redo of Soldier Body model
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2009, 05:50:41 pm »
as soon as you get a good model and texture that Winter is happy with, please attach it to a post or upload it, so that Vedrit and I can get to work on animating it
I don't think you need to wait me. In the end I just set texture a bit different and add the buckle and that's all. No radio, no dummy weapons. The last thing is pouches and holster you ask, but you see - big objects must be modeled and small can be drawn. If you want something like pouches and holster it must be modeled (like the one on the belt and legs), or eye will see the fake in any angle, different from 90. I can make them if you want, but I think there is enough of that stuff already. I just draw a few more pockets.
About texture set - you can't use your old skins anymore. What I did is set all parts more separately - it's easier to draw like this.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2009, 11:50:29 pm »
I probably should have been more clear about this before, but there is still something about that brown "Y" shaped part that bothers me - As it is right now it looks rather...historical, making the whole thing look more like something archaic from one of the world wars of the mid-20th Century.  It strikes me as looking the opposite of something that I think would work better, something sleek and futuristic of the future setting of the game that would be high-tech.  I think the color especially adds to the problem, the brown with copper buckles.  Again, if it was different, something for equipment and was black with either chrome or black metal buckles/snaps, or perhaps something with some shade of grey, it would look much better IMO.  As it is right now I just see suspenders that make it look like something that isn't even contemporary of present day, it doesn't look like a modern, clean-cut uniform of an elite soldier with the best Earth-based technology available.

I do, however, also think you're right about the fact that for it to be for equipment it should be modeled differently instead of painted on.

If we're going to replace the soldier models we need to have something well-done and futuristic, high-tech - but not fantasy-ish, and something that we would be comfortable with in the game for quite some time.

Here's what I'm going to do:  I'm going to try working with the model again, and come up with at least one other version of the mesh that might work better, I've already got some ideas of how to go about it - in particular with the equipment vest.  We may have to try this several times and then pick out the one that came out the best.  I'm not trying to be an extreme perfectionist, but I'd like for there to be a new soldier model that really fits well with a good amount of time and thought put into it.

Winter of course is welcome to disagree with me, but these are my thoughts so far.

Please don't throw anything out though, anything we don't use for the standard soldiers we could likely always use for something else.

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2009, 12:45:48 am »
Winter of course is welcome to disagree with me, but these are my thoughts so far.

Please don't throw anything out though, anything we don't use for the standard soldiers we could likely always use for something else.

I think you're right on the money, actually. The brown strap makes it look antiquated. Modern SWAT teams don't wear much besides black/blue plastic, and that's the kind of look the PHALANX uniform should be reminiscent of.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2009, 01:09:48 am »
Well, going back to the mesh shape this is what I was able to do quick-and-dirty, It isn't finished and needs a lot of adjustments, plus I only did the front so far, but this is close to what I was recommending.  If I clean this up and finish it, I think this might work better, once a detailed texture is applied.

Perhaps some "D" rings could also be put in between the equipment "boxes" on this one...  I'm still working on it...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:11:49 am by Destructavator »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2009, 03:41:54 am »
Still not finished, but a little more work...

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2009, 04:38:29 am »
Careful you don't make it too monotonous/monochrome, mate. The uniform should never be boring.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2009, 06:48:32 am »
Careful you don't make it too monotonous/monochrome, mate. The uniform should never be boring.

it's just a sample - Migel is doing the texture, no?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »
it's just a sample - Migel is doing the texture, no?

Yes, that is correct - I need to make a few more adjustments to (this version of) the mesh, and then I'll upload it for Migel to build a texture with all the little details and such.

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2009, 03:50:38 pm »
As it is right now it looks rather...historical, making the whole thing look more like something archaic from one of the world wars
Well, I think I should tell the truth - I want it to look that way from the beginning. It's not just brown Y belt (which is real WW2 equipment) and copper and sweater and buttons instead of zippers - the uniform itself is old style. I agree with all you said, but I was thinking it will looks cool. And that is why I wanted to make the "urban" one whole different - it would be modern style. One in the old style and one in the new style -  isn't it better than just full set of clone skins with different camo texture?
PS - So, need I finish this one or not?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:14 pm »
So, need I finish this one or not?

Yes - as i've said - even if Winter and BTAxis don't want it for the campaign, i want skins for multiplayer and skirmish... please finish the work in every case.

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:13 pm »
So, need I finish this one or not?
Yes - as i've said
I really get tangled...  Destructavator is changing the model right now - this skin may not fit the new model. So let's do it like this - I'll wait until Destructavator make his work and only then finish this skin (and make new one so everyone will be happy :D)

2Destructavator - I have a few wishes =) Whatever you make, please leave some spase between model parts in the skin. And one more thing - I'm waste a hell of a lot time to make texture joints less visible, but when you assign material in blender he solve this problem itself. So maybe I'll just use your skins as base or (and) upload few camo patterns I want to see on this model?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2009, 06:14:38 pm »
Yes - as i've said - even if Winter and BTAxis don't want it for the campaign, i want skins for multiplayer and skirmish... please finish the work in every case.

Seconded. It'd be useful for non-PHALANX soldiers with a few adaptations.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
Yes - as i've said
I really get tangled...  Destructavator is changing the model right now - this skin may not fit the new model. So let's do it like this - I'll wait until Destructavator make his work and only then finish this skin (and make new one so everyone will be happy :D)

2Destructavator - I have a few wishes =) Whatever you make, please leave some spase between model parts in the skin. And one more thing - I'm waste a hell of a lot time to make texture joints less visible, but when you assign material in blender he solve this problem itself. So maybe I'll just use your skins as base or (and) upload few camo patterns I want to see on this model?

Yes, if you have camo patterns that already loop in 2D, I can easily apply them in Blender so they don't have seams, Blender does this very easily.  You can upload them, attach them to a post, whatever.

Yes, when I finish the latest version of the model I will redo the texture seams and UV map, and have more space between areas, so it will be easier to work with.  I admit the older version was UV mapped a bit poorly, I apologize for that.

...And yes, If I create a better UV texture map with the camo already there (applied without the texture joint seams visible), then yes, you're welcome to paint over the rest with details and such, I think that's a good idea.

Also, sorry for the confusion I may have caused...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2009, 01:02:04 am »
http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/soldier_v5_9.7z

OK, here is the Blender source file, along with two TGA graphic files, one with the UV texture as I created it, and the other is an outline-map of where the UVs are.

This UV map was created mostly manually, I hope it came out organized better than the old model.

@Migel: If you want, you're welcome to change the UV map of where parts of the texture are, I can always re-import the model.

If you have a copy of Blender you can export it to almost any common format, or if you want a specific format again tell me which one and I can do it for you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:06:58 am by Destructavator »

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »
Thanks for that fix, Destructavator. The model now looks much better. But there is a few more things to do...
1 - how about a buckle?
2 - UV map is fine, but can you please make the hands in one part (like the previous version), not in two.
3 - can you upload some more skins with different camouflage...

I can do this changes by myself, but it only make chaos then I make one thing while you make some other thing.