project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Armour names  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Armour names
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01:28 am »
Okay so the types of armor I encountered in the game are:
  • Combat Armor
  • Nanocomposite Armor
  • Alien body Armor
  • Medium Alien Armor

The naming is a bit strange... So what makes "Medium Alien Armour" the "medium" armour? How do scientists know there is a heavier armour at the time of research? A different name would fix it. :)

Also are there plans for more kinds of human armor? Nanocomposite is hardly effective against later weapons.

Also is there an actual list out there for the ufopedia on which research & items actually do anything... No offense but I do not want to spend time testing incomplete stuff that isn't supposed to work at all, yet.. :)

well you could say the same about every item in the game really when you find a plasma pistol how do you know it A works with plasma and B is a pistol.

now Xcome named everything Alien Artefact until it was researched. but even in the stores they had to geve then the proper names.

the simple fact is that humans to be able to identify the items with out that the game is unplayable. would it be any better if you had Alien Armour Type 2? when you might not find type 1 until after type 2?

jyust take it as read that in the attacks that occurred in the intro we saw the aliens with 3 or more types of armour and we know that this is the medium one that we have captured

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:37 pm »
I mean, I can understand this small problem. At a given time, the scientists cant know if there are not much larger aliens which bigger armour.

On the other hand, what other name should they use?

"Alien body Armor"
"Reinforced Alien body Armor"

Other items like the plasma pistol are not so problematic, because a plasma pistol (or at least a pistol) will remain this way always, whereas a "medium" armour should depend on the wearer. An alien that is 20 metres high and has 40 tentacles couldn't wear such a "medium" armour, but it might be able to wield that pistol with... perhaps using 2 or 3 tentacles ;)

the simple fact is that humans to be able to identify the items with out that the game is unplayable

I mean, there are more important things than this, but - I dont think you should generalize here for every item. The weapon of aliens aren't so spectacular. We can assume that humans at least have imagination, and can differ between weapons and armours of aliens (well... at least up to the point where something is both a weapon and armour... but i dont think we have any of that in game)

It appears to me that this small discussion can quickly be stopped with another name but the thread starter didn't suggest any alternative to the current name.
A different name would fix it.

would it be any better if you had Alien Armour Type 2? when you might not find type 1 until after type 2?
I think that sounds even more stupid. Reinforced, or improved, or advanced would be better names. Or how about "alien combat armour"?

But ok, discussing about names is kinda stupid ... can't we go to something more interesting. ;)

Come to think about it, are there plans about organic-type armours? With this i mean armour that can "heal" itself.
It does not necessarily need to be organic, come to think about it, i just thought it cool if some stronger aliens could heal damaged armour... though actually, if i think about it, there are a lot of other things more important anyway..... pfft, armour :P

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »
Come to think about it, are there plans about organic-type armours? With this i mean armour that can "heal" itself.
It does not necessarily need to be organic, come to think about it, i just thought it cool if some stronger aliens could heal damaged armour... though actually, if i think about it, there are a lot of other things more important anyway..... pfft, armour :P

I don't think armour (or any other item) get damaged at all, so yes we have this already. :P

-geever

Offline Montague

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 01:06:46 am »
I can imagine the scientists discussing this to the leadership types.

"This is the most advanced armor in the world, the absolute best body armor humanity has ever developed. Medium Alien Armor. Its called that because its made from alien stuff, and although the plates are thicker then the armor you have now, we could make the plates thicker, but we chose not too. Hence, Medium, because we just made the plates medium-thickness compared to how thick we could have made them. We will need another research grant if you want us to design you Alien Armor thicker then this. Don't get me wrong, its pretty thick, but I think with enough money we could probably make it thicker."