project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Sound choppy  (Read 3102 times)

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Sound choppy
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:09:30 pm »
I recently started encountering chopped up sound (&music) in UfoAI. It started when I downloaded and installed r26082 built by Destructavator and uploaded here, but strangely, I encounter it now on ALL builds of UfoAI I start up (even the older ones I still have installed that worked fine previously).

Here's more info (copied from other thread):

- In what part of the game is the sound choppy?  The whole thing, all the time, during all missions?  Or just one area?
- Can you please tell what version of Windows you are running and a few basic hardware specs about the machine you're running it on?
The whole thing, all the time. As soon as some music starts playing (when loading the game), it's messed up. I've tried different settings in the sound menu, and on the lowest available sample rate, I can at least hear the music (but in horrible quality). On any other rate, all I hear is mess.
Maybe there the problem lies somewhere. I read some changelogs concerning OpenAL lately (?), maybe there was a bug introduced there.
Btw, the last build I tested (r25862 built by odie) ran fine for me, without any sound problems.

I'm running
Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

on an ASUS A6JM laptop with
Intel Core2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHz
1.65GHz, 1GB RAM

edit: hmm, maybe the fault lies somewhere in my settings. Strangely, the problems now also exist when I run one of the older builds that ran fine previously... :(

edit2: hmm, here's something from the console that might be of interest: firstly what driver and versions are running, and then, everytime I change the rate and click on "restart sound", it seems to miss a sound file 'nife'... :/
Code: [Select]
------- sound initialization -------
SDL_mixer version: 1.2.8
... driver: 'dsound'
... audio rate: 11025
... audio channels: 2
S_LoadSound: Could not find sound file: 'nife'

edit3: now it even kicked me out (no further info in ufoconsole.log, no crash files...), when I clicked on "restart sound" without changing the sample rate beforehand during running game...

I hope someone can help me :(

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Sound choppy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:01 pm »
Does this also happen with other apps on your computer now?  (Other games, media players, etc.)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:50 am »
that restart sound crash should be fixed - was a wrong for loop counter variable increment.

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »
Does this also happen with other apps on your computer now?  (Other games, media players, etc.)

Nope, only in UfoAI...