project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature Request: Prone Mode  (Read 2692 times)

odie

Feature Request: Prone Mode
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:17:09 am »
Hi,

I did my search on the forums, but did not come across an entry for a suggestion for a 3rd mode of action: Prone Mode (Flat on the Floor on your belly).

Currently, in real life, we have soldiers on walk(run) mode, semi kneeling mode and prone mode (with or without supports like sandbags).

In range practise and yearly annual target proficiencies exams, soldiers are required to fire from all 3 different positions, at different ranges at diff types of targets (also standing 100%, 1/2 man 50% and proned target 25%).

Why so? Cos in combat scenarios, we have such enemies too. In fact, for advanced fire targets practise, targets can be 100% standing but only 50% exposure (as in only left side or right side), or even the miserable 12.5% exposure with hostage...... then again tats advanced shooting practise.

Hence, can i suggest, that with the current UFOAI modes of soldiers (stand and crouch) mode, can we add 1 more PRONED mode in future pls? Need not even be for 2.3 release, unless the codings are easy to implement.

:D

For discussions and considerations.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Prone Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »
I did my search on the forums, but did not come across an entry for a suggestion for a 3rd mode of action: Prone Mode (Flat on the Floor on your belly).

Then check it on our Feature Tracker (The official place for feature requests).

-geever

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »
This has been proposed with new animations when new soldier models get finished, as well as animations for climbing ladders and other stuff.

The current soldier models don't work right with many of the proposed new animations.  Vedrit (one of the other forum members here, who knows animation rather well) tried to work with the current models, it didn't work.  I also tried this myself in Blender.

If you look through the Artwork section you'll find some of the new proposed models, but they aren't quite ready yet - I have a high-detail one almost ready, more for cut-scenes and short movie clips, I haven't had time yet to render it to a lower-poly version for use in the game yet.

Of course, there also has to be versions for every armor type, so it'll be a while...

odie

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:31:16 am »
Ooh! Wohoooo! Omg, how could i forget the feature request section? lol.

Thanks! That really did not cross my mind. -.-"
My bad.

Thanks. I juz had a looky there! :D

Is this already in accepted proposal stage? :D
Cos i see it assigned to nobody. And also, btw, sourceforge seemed to be revamping and sometimes, search goes out of sync or returns invalid results..... -.-"

I have gone to other sourceforge forums and it seemed like for some, even the download links are not working. Grrrr..... much like our 2.2.1 before it was fixed. Hmmmmm..... Hehe.

Back to point, so accepted le? I guess many of the good man here are working feverishly on them? :D Well done and "JIAYOUS" aka Kambade (Both meaning keep it up and good job in mandarin hanyu pinyin and jap respectively).

:D

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:06 am »
Is this already in accepted proposal stage? :D

It's accepted AFAIK, but we need models and animations for that. I bet it won't happen in the near future.

-geever

odie

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:54 am »
It's accepted AFAIK, but we need models and animations for that. I bet it won't happen in the near future.

-geever

Ooooo, nods nods. I understand now. :D Yupz, from diff positions to prone, and the proned models.... with diff texturing.... ah, i see the difficulties more now. :D

Hope we have someone on tat soon....

-> Poke poke Destructavator. :P