project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reactionary fire hell  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Reactionary fire hell
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »
you can replay the mission but you can't reload it

Offline Nightknight

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »
Greetings, Guys.

I've been in this situation too, it's not really fun sometimes since the odds are that half your squad is going to turn into grounded meat. I've noticed that, in the case you describe, the most "Exposed" Units (The ones directly facing the alien craft) have very little chances of survival as the Alien, packing dual Plasma Pistols, have massive amounts of reactionary and an accuracy that makes your sniper look like a rookie. And if it wasn't enough, we talk about more or less 4 aliens at mid range ready to reaction fire on anyone who dares to blink.
Sometimes nearby buildings can be useful, sometimes not.

About the "Locked up" Deployment (XCOM-UFO Style) I remember more than once sending a happy Marine out to check the area just to meet a gentle Snakeman and his gang camping outside of the ship. (I bet that that happened to some of you too)

I guess the best option would be to change the point where the Firebird lands. This would make the game a little more interesting since it would allow both sides (Human - Aliens) to set up a defense and a tactical layout. Considering the aliens have better stats, landing near a UFO almost ensures you that one of your units is gonna get stabbed to death by an alien popping out of nowhere with a Kerrblade.

An easier, cheaper, and maybe viable solution would be to make the aliens to not face directly at the Firebird at round one. Well, maybe one could be looking to the Firebird, but 4 aliens with dual plasma pistols and massive amounts of RF, not much fair.

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:13 pm »
About the "Locked up" Deployment (XCOM-UFO Style) I remember more than once sending a happy Marine out to check the area just to meet a gentle Snakeman and his gang camping outside of the ship. (I bet that that happened to some of you too)

usually armed with a blasterbomb launcher bang bye bye entire dropship

White_Cat

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 12:35:59 am »
Blaster bomb cannot be fired as a reactionary... :)

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 12:53:24 am »

yes but grenade can be thrown as RF...effect is similiar.
anyway we talk bout that game no bout x-com i hope it will be rebalanced a bit so as for now i fully agree so crash missions ale pure lottery or ....well so much was said against saves in tactic here we just retry when half of our guys is dusted to pieces after they even pick gun to eye.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:10 am »
OK, I'm starting to agree with this issue of being pounded by fire right at the start of a mission - Just for laughs after updating to the latest SVN revision I started a game on the *easiest* difficulty level, tried one mission as a test, and got blasted by a huge barrage of plasma fire.   :o

Apparently something was tweaked that really un-balanced the game like this - it certainly wasn't so bad before, for a long time.

Hopefully one of the coders will notice and tweak things again to fix this.  I can understand this at the hardest level, but not the easiest, this just isn't normal for the game.

Heck, when firing a rocket from a rocket launcher, one of the aliens fired *several* shots that took down one soldier and wounded another while the rocket was in mid-air.

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:48 am »

true but doesn't stop you getting a blaster bomb in the face before you can start the mission

White_Cat

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:44 am »
true but doesn't stop you getting a blaster bomb in the face before you can start the mission

I always cover my face... :)

Oh and typically I mind control the alien with the blaster launcher... Launch it up and directly back to him... Oh not even his corpse remain most of the time >:D

White_Cat

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 06:20:35 am »
OK, I'm starting to agree with this issue of being pounded by fire right at the start of a mission - Just for laughs after updating to the latest SVN revision I started a game on the *easiest* difficulty level, tried one mission as a test, and got blasted by a huge barrage of plasma fire.   :o

Apparently something was tweaked that really un-balanced the game like this - it certainly wasn't so bad before, for a long time.

Hopefully one of the coders will notice and tweak things again to fix this.  I can understand this at the hardest level, but not the easiest, this just isn't normal for the game.

Heck, when firing a rocket from a rocket launcher, one of the aliens fired *several* shots that took down one soldier and wounded another while the rocket was in mid-air.

Even on hardest level I loose guys because of the random location the game puts them... I should have a say in where my guys are deployed... I am not amazed that the problem exists in easiest difficulty...

On an unrelated note... I think features like reactionary fire should be "disableable" through debugging commands... There is no reason for me not to test unrelated issues... For example I won't get to test a path finding issue simply because all 8 of my soldiers died in the first turn...  ???

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 12:51:09 pm »
I always cover my face... :)

Oh and typically I mind control the alien with the blaster launcher... Launch it up and directly back to him... Oh not even his corpse remain most of the time >:D

MC never played a huge part in the game when i played, but that's because the secoid leaders always trigger my reaction fire getting themselves killed leaving me waiting for the Ethreals to turn up

White_Cat

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 01:09:02 pm »
Well... I enjoyed making all aliens walk into my sky ranger. And I had a lot of fun with them   ;)

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 01:37:02 pm »
MC never played a huge part in the game when i played, but that's because the secoid leaders always trigger my reaction fire getting themselves killed leaving me waiting for the Ethreals to turn up

it played huge part at least in final mission and alien base assault .
was great help use one MC-ed allien as a scout :)

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:38:46 pm »

its why i wondered how much TU's they have hehe they are able to fire 2 full auto as reaction fire :P

White_Cat

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 07:55:02 pm »
its why i wondered how much TU's they have hehe they are able to fire 2 full auto as reaction fire :P

Aliens gets an extra turn. When you land their TU's are full. When you are done with your turn their TUs are replenished (if they used them that is)...

Offline Dorzak

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 09:08:58 pm »
Actually occurs on easiest difficulty as well.   Can lose 2-3 soldiers right away.    If a Grenade launcher is available can usually get away with losing 1-2 soldiers.