project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Bases placement and type  (Read 14451 times)

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Bases placement and type
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 02:18:03 am »
Newbie here -- I had a couple of questions about bases, but really not worthy of their own thread, so I'll ask them here:

1) Do most people fill out one base completely before creating a second, or do most people create new ones earlier in order to get more coverage?

2) Do all bases (even specialized research or production bases) need soldiers for defense, or is it possible to dispatch soldiers from another base to defend against an attack?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 02:52:24 am »
Nah, I dont fill completely base befeore making another, since there are some facilites I don't have access to in the beginning, like advanced radar or antimatter containment. So I just plan out my bases in advance and fill in the gaps when available.

As for defense...you can use offbase SAM sites to pack the area with enough heat to take down any UFO, but be careful about that...SAMs aren't effective at high time compression.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »
Nah, I dont fill completely base befeore making another, since there are some facilites I don't have access to in the beginning, like advanced radar or antimatter containment. So I just plan out my bases in advance and fill in the gaps when available.

Ok, thanks. 

I actually tried to create a new base at the beginning of my 3rd month but after dropping the key components and a hanger, I was out of money before I could even buy an intercepter!   I guess 250K isn't enough money to start a second base, but I can't seem to build up much more cash...

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32:34 pm »
Takes a while. My advice is to sell everything you will not need-for example, keep just one Kerrblade for research and sell it after it is done. Alien artifacts are worth a lot. Also don't be reckless with interceptors-stilleto is about equal match to fighter UFO, so avoid going one on one with those. Ignore the Harvesters till you have researched craft particle weapons.

For base, don't start building till you have at least a milion saved up.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 09:13:40 pm »
And you do need soldiers to defend them. Later in the campaign if/when aliens have bases they won't need UFOs to get there.

-geever