project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game still locking with newer revision  (Read 8604 times)

Whatever

Game still locking with newer revision
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:29:35 pm »
I figured I'd just play with the game in 1024x768 windowed mode until next revision and see if this problem keeps happening, well, it keeps happening.

I can change the resolution and window/full screen mode without a problem-- until I enter battlescape, At that point, if I'm in any resolution/setting other than 1024x768 in windowed mode, the game will lock up and crash. Windows XP with a 9000 series nvidia card(190.62 drivers).

I don't remember if it happened in 2.2.1, but it did in 25557, now 25745 too.

Looked around for any "old" solution to the problem, but people were mostly having problems changing resolution period. I don't have that problem. Battlescape is my only problem.

odie

Re: Game still locking with newer revision
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:56:18 am »
Hi Whatever,

I am not claiming to be an expert here, but lets get some OS (Operating system) related stuff over first before moving on to the tweaking of options.

Was wondering if u have tried this on a SP2 or SP3 (service pack - windows patching) on windows XP?
You might want to do a full windows update to the latest patches (ignoring IE8 if u want).

You might want to check if your specific nividia graphics card has a later driver from the original manufacturer at this link: Nividia Graphics Card Update Page

Try these 2, do a restart and try in windows and full screen mode again.

PS: U r using laptop or PC? What is the model of ur screen / lcd if its PC. If its lappy, would be good to provide the model nos of ur lappy.

Toodles!
:D

And welcome to the game, Whatever (pretty cool nick. lol)

Whatever

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:49:32 am »
I use a CRT, not LCD. My monitor is an old 20" HP one.  Anyway, I have SP3, and I already did the driver check thing after the first crash or two. Nothing new to update. I actually noticed that 800x600 works but only in fullscreen mode. Very strange that just one resolution works in windows mode and one only in fullscreen mode.

Offline Wace

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:04 am »
I have exactly the same problem. WinXP SP2, latest Nvidia drivers.

Regardless if I just go to battlescape in the game or if I switch from working option (1024 windowed) to fullscreen from within battlescape options. This bug wasn't part of last stable release.

odie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:05:22 am »
Hmmm,

How about if both of u try 2.2.1 and try loading it.
See if this happens??

If it does not happens, we can streamline it to just perhaps 2.3 issues.

But if it does happens, it will have to be something related to your current hardware / drivers issues.

Maybe we can eliminate the 2.2.1 vs 2.3 issues?
Pls download it from our mainpage and try ok?

:D

Offline Wace

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:28:13 am »
This bug wasn't part of last stable release.
I.e. I've already played 2.2.1 and it didn't give me anything like that - everything was cool and proper. I didn't test every possible resolution, but I can if you want me to.

PS: Updated WinXP to SP3 - didn't change anything. Not that I've expected it, but JFYI

odie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:54 am »
I.e. I've already played 2.2.1 and it didn't give me anything like that - everything was cool and proper. I didn't test every possible resolution, but I can if you want me to.

PS: Updated WinXP to SP3 - didn't change anything. Not that I've expected it, but JFYI

Hi, I am sorry to hear that it still did not work to date.

Here's what i can suggest for u to do:

1) Download 2.2.1 again, and make sure u install in a separate directory. Then run the 2.2.1 UFOAI and make sure it still works as it had.

2) If it does, note that resolution. Then using the same resolution, switch to full screen / windowed mode. Make sure both works too.

3) If it does, try changing to different resolution (might as well) at least to 640x480, 800 x 600 and 1024x768. These 3 are the common-most screen resolutions and should be supported by most, if not all today's screens. If u are able to do the above 3 x 2 modes (windowed and full screen) modes, then congratulations, it should not be your hardware faults. We should be looking at what has been changed since 2.3 then.

4) If nos 3 turned out to be the same - as in not able to be like the past, but display only the ONE and ONLY mode in windowed, then something is screwed abt your current set..... since then, u might be better off, troubleshooting the drivers.

If 4 is the case, then i suggest u rollback your windows graphic's card's driver one version backwards a time till u can get it to work. If there is nothing to roll back on, i would suggest downgrading your driver to an older version. IMHO and experience, the newest driver may not necessary be the best, though nividia has not given me such an issue and usually works well with newer drivers.

If nos 4 is not the case, as in your drivers is only one (which i doubt) and cannot be rollback, i suggest u change a graphics card physically (maybe borrow from a frd for testing) and see if that works out. If so, maybe its the graphics card.

Try these for a start..... hopefully its the drivers' fault, else hope its the settings fault. Else, it would meant that 2.3 has something that is displaying stuff differently from 2.2.1, and for that, i have to refer u back to Mattn and the graphics team to update us on wats possible..... maybe u might have to do some console logs uploading to us and stuff.....

PS: When CTD (Crash to Desktop) symptoms occur, are u able to provide us with a log? And btw, which 2.3 revision are u using? Self compiled or one of my downloads from here: Links for 2.3 Development Binaries - Full Builts & Incremental Builts Only

Will be helpful if u can provide as much info as possible. Toodles.

Offline Wace

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:55 pm »
I'll do as much tests as possible and will provide logs as soon as I can fit it in my schedule.

I'm running P4, WinXP Professional Russian, Nvidia 6800GT. I haven't experienced any noticable troubles while running 2.2.1 version. The trouble in question occured both with R25552 and R25745, set from dev-built windows installer posted by you - haven't compiled anything on my Win machine. According to your suggestions I've updated WinXP from SP2 to SP3 and nvidia drivers from 160-something to 190.62. Both didn't change a thing.

There's no actual crash, but the process hangs on the "awaiting game start (0)"
Just crashed it with 800x600 windowed
event.log and ufoconsole.log attached (only last two records in event.log are relevant)

UPDATE: Played around with 2.2.1 on the same system. All three standard resolutions work, both windowed & fullscreen. Console log attached. So even if it is problem with my setup, it still doesn't affect 2.2.1.  :(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:00:30 am by Wace »

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:41 pm »
I have exactly the same bug with all the latest revisions as far back as I remember :'(
Tested on 2 different win32/xpsp3 machines, one with ATI, the other with Nvidia-GFX-Card (log from ATI-GFX-PC).
The bug looks like this:
- Changing resolution works as expected, everything seems to work fine...
- When entering the battlescape the game locks after loading...
- Resolution 1024x768 always works, higher resolutions never work...

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 11:13:52 am »
Checked it on a third computer today, there it works...  ???

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »
open a ticket with a bug description if you think this is a bug

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »
I am not sure what to think of it (yet) ::)

Offline Edi

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »
Here are a few things you could try:

Clean the computer's registry of orphaned entries using Piriform's Ccleaner. It only deletes entries that are obsolete, i.e. not attached to anything, and Windows XP is notorious for having tons and tons of these whenever you uninstall software, even if you upgrade to a newer version. Also true of driver upgrades. It can't hurt.

If you have obsolete registry pointers for both graphics drivers and older game versions, I would not be the least bit surprised if that was the problem.

I've never experienced the freezing problem on an English language Windows XP SP3 with an ATI HD4870 graphics card. I'm running the game in 1900x1220 resolution with no trouble, using the latest dev build from Muton (29004 I think it was). It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a graphics driver issue if you have it with both ATI and Nvidia graph cards.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:31 am »
Thanx Edi for the tips, CCleaner is a essential Windows-tool, indeed  ;)
But the problem is definitely hidden somewhere in the UFO:AI Code  ::)

I have to thank markhawrylak for a workaround:
Quote:

A work around is to:
1. load the game
2. set the resolution you want
3. exit the game
4. open the game and load the campaign

THIS WORX !

Offline Lap

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 01:31:32 am »
I have the exact same issue as Whatever. I am using Destructavator's r29222 for windows. I had this problem with Win XP SP3 and the problem persists with a clean install of Windows 7.

ATI 1900XTX