project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien turn sounds  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Wace

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien turn sounds
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
I'm not sure if it can be requested, since it can lead to major change in both gameplay and code, but I would really love if any sound made during alien/civilian turn could lead to some amount of information.

Example: soldier is in room with three doors, crouching directly in front of one of them. During alien turn There's distinctive sound of door opening/closing. Now, from the realistic point of view, soldier should be able to determine if this was one of the doors behind his back or another one behind the one he's in front of. Or even some door far away from him (in this case, however, he knows nothing about it).

The UFO Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight developers overpowered this feature in their product, allowing sound detection as alternative to sight, marking enemy within specific cell of the terrain grid. I have no clear idea about how to make it both useful and not too powerful, but without it there's no real reason for any sounds to happen if nobody "sees" them.

Regardless, thanks for the great game!

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Alien turn sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:21 am »
sure sounds helps to determine whats going on ,anyway would be nice have old good motion scanners from x com :)

odie

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:26:34 am »
sure sounds helps to determine whats going on ,anyway would be nice have old good motion scanners from x com :)

I believe there were some talks abt this in the forum last 1 2 month back. Do a search on this forum and u can find it! :D

I'm not sure if it can be requested, since it can lead to major change in both gameplay and code, but I would really love if any sound made during alien/civilian turn could lead to some amount of information.

Example: soldier is in room with three doors, crouching directly in front of one of them. During alien turn There's distinctive sound of door opening/closing. Now, from the realistic point of view, soldier should be able to determine if this was one of the doors behind his back or another one behind the one he's in front of. Or even some door far away from him (in this case, however, he knows nothing about it).

The UFO Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight developers overpowered this feature in their product, allowing sound detection as alternative to sight, marking enemy within specific cell of the terrain grid. I have no clear idea about how to make it both useful and not too powerful, but without it there's no real reason for any sounds to happen if nobody "sees" them.

Regardless, thanks for the great game!

Not too sure abt this feature. I have played Afterlight and i know how it feels.....
Maybe the other devs will consider this in the far future, not too sure abt now. It will requires alot more scripting than u think, as it will probably includes rules for checking distance b/w user / alien / objects in between em, and a whole lot other factors.....

The devs have already a roadmap to the things they wanna achieve for 2.3 stable release, and i dun think this will make it there anytime..... Still, probably worthy to be attempted in future? :D

Offline Wace

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »
Not too sure abt this feature. I have played Afterlight and i know how it feels.....
Maybe the other devs will consider this in the far future, not too sure abt now. It will requires alot more scripting than u think, as it will probably includes rules for checking distance b/w user / alien / objects in between em, and a whole lot other factors...
Oh, trust me, I know how much pain can bring adding some innocent detail to the project.  ;) Still, seeing how good the game is now and how much is planned to be added, I've added my two cents. Those hidden sounds kept bothering me since original X-COM.  :(