project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Licensing  (Read 9484 times)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Licensing
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:05:59 am »
geever, might as well lock the thread? with the keynote - Proposal Received, Reviewed and Rejected.

:)

Maybe this could be the standard for closing unwanted topics / threads, in view we have many new users to forums. At least they see such things. Lol.

*Sidenote, crazy ideas.... : I know its cumbersome, but do u thnk we should keep a forum for admins only, to shifts such locked and rejected proposals into them? That way, ppl will know wats suggested, rejected, hence wont bring it up again. Of course, these remains locked so they cannot be 'reopened'.

Wat do u and the rest of the admins think? :D Should prove to be helpful in the long run.

well at least while they are open they people can talk about the idea with out opening a new one to trumpet there own special variation of the idea. eventually they will close themselves as people migrate to other topics

odie

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:59 am »
never played X force so take your word for it.

i'm a developer myself so i understand the technical limitation of games development, i also understand that conceptual limitations, if you try and make a game that does everything you usually end up with a game so complex that it is either unplayable or plays itself.

it wouldn't be extra money, it would be having to choose between a small but steady income or large 1 off windfalls.

so say you sell off the patent for plasma rifles then you are earning much less from every alien mission that leaves PR's but in return you are now earning a constant monthly income.

there is a small issue with it making manufacturing redundant, as if you need something then you sell the patent and buy it. which is an issue i have noticed is already in UFO, once you research something unless you need a mountain of them then it's quicker and easier to buy them than build them infact other than dissasembling UFO's the main thing my workshops do is build rocket packs and gas grenades

Ah, I got your point on the patents. I tot u were referring to royalties.... (where profits come in on and on. I was referring to royalties instead then. :D)

From what I understand, the aliens already hold all the patents of their equipment, and if you try to produce or reverse engineer their products, they will try to kill you for it. This is since they have extremely strict patent laws, and 0 tolerance for breaking them.

Either way, I don't think you can patent, and try to make a profit off of their equipment without pissing off their corporations... assuming they have any...

HAHHAHAHAA. I ma have such a good laf over this one, criusmac. LOL.

I would love to plagarise and pirate their technology. LOL.

Maybe we could even setup spies and go in to steal techs? Or possibly have defectors who would join humans??

Okie, too far fetched. Take this suggestion as absurd, hahahhaa. Aniwae, just have a laf and see my nx point. :D

well at least while they are open they people can talk about the idea with out opening a new one to trumpet there own special variation of the idea. eventually they will close themselves as people migrate to other topics

Hmmmm..... no point de, my dear Gunner. Lol.

Its ok for ppl to come and go.... usually these are the ones who are not really constructive and do not contribute anything to the project anyway. In the real world, we call them energy takers.

Its ok for those to come and maybe be disappointed as to why certain things are not implemented (from the suggested "REJECTED FORUM"), yet, if they appreciate the work, and truly stick by the basic respect for designers, they turn into energy givers, and help further the existing designs, giving a push towards fine-tuning the existing designs and bettering it.

They might even become valuable and join as part of the team! Become GREAT energy givers.

Well, this is life, ppl come, ppl go. Someone used to say life is like a bus journey, and u r the captain of the bus.

Some passengers come at 1st stop, some midway, some almost end of journey. Some stay thru from stop 1 to stop last, some get off halfway, some 3/4, some only a few stops. Some are uber nice, chatty, some quiet, observe and get off, some violent and disrupt the journey but ultimately removed (by police or sorts), some taken down by other passengers when they are overly unbearing..... I guess we have to accept all passengers? :D

In summary, its ok for ppl to come and go on this project. I guess all projects want to see their fans only and new fans-to-be. AFAIK, this project alr has 2597 members as of today, but i am sure <10% are active now, with <5% actually contributing to the project. Thats still alot already. :D If more want to join, i am sure we are all happy to see new blood.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:04:01 am by odie »

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 11:19:34 am »
Hmmmm..... no point de, my dear Gunner. Lol.

Its ok for ppl to come and go.... usually these are the ones who are not really constructive and do not contribute anything to the project anyway. In the real world, we call them energy takers.

Its ok for those to come and maybe be disappointed as to why certain things are not implemented (from the suggested "REJECTED FORUM"), yet, if they appreciate the work, and truly stick by the basic respect for designers, they turn into energy givers, and help further the existing designs, giving a push towards fine-tuning the existing designs and bettering it.

They might even become valuable and join as part of the team! Become GREAT energy givers.

Well, this is life, ppl come, ppl go. Someone used to say life is like a bus journey, and u r the captain of the bus.

Some passengers come at 1st stop, some midway, some almost end of journey. Some stay thru from stop 1 to stop last, some get off halfway, some 3/4, some only a few stops. Some are uber nice, chatty, some quiet, observe and get off, some violent and disrupt the journey but ultimately removed (by police or sorts), some taken down by other passengers when they are overly unbearing..... I guess we have to accept all passengers? :D

well i'm currently digging through the source, been too long since i last worked on a non OO language
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:22:45 am by Gunner »

Offline Profit-

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:40 am »
It appears to me UFO-AI is entirely built on OO programing...

Perhaps you are confusing Object Oriented, with GUI Design Integrated IDE's like visual basic?

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 04:46:12 am »
UFO: AI is built entirely in C. Not C++. There isn't an object anywhere in the source code.

Offline Profit-

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 08:44:53 am »
I am fairly certain being named objects does not matter, as long as it uses discrete code blocks.  I believe that as long as the code is not a simple top down and has functions that are independent with things passed to them, and returning values, it is object oriented code.  

Not 100% certain though.  I am a little foggy where modular programming ends, which they certainly use, and Object Oriented begins.  Just have always thought if one part of the program can be called from any part in the main thread and it is independent of it,  it is object oriented.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:47:01 am by Profit- »

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 10:29:41 am »
It appears to me UFO-AI is entirely built on OO programing...

Perhaps you are confusing Object Oriented, with GUI Design Integrated IDE's like visual basic?

definitely not
there are 3 sorts of programming language Procedural based around calling Procedure, OO which is is based around grouped data structures and Method packets and functional which is based on defining functions.
it's C which is purely procedural with no OO, though i can see how you could make the mistake of linking it to VB, VB while a OO language still keeps most of the Procedural functionality of it's predecessors and while that back compatibility makes is easier for people to move into it from procedural it results in a large number of people writing OO code that have no idea what they are doing and continue to write Procedural code.

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 10:32:07 am »
I am fairly certain being named objects does not matter, as long as it uses discrete code blocks.  I believe that as long as the code is not a simple top down and has functions that are independent with things passed to them, and returning values, it is object oriented code. 

Not 100% certain though.  I am a little foggy where modular programming ends, which they certainly use, and Object Oriented begins.  Just have always thought if one part of the program can be called from any part in the main thread and it is independent of it,  it is object oriented.

it doesn't matter how discretely coded it it it still reacts differently to OO, in procedural code variable can be created and destroyed locally or exist global there is no equivalent to the to the object level variable, while it doesn't seem like a massive difference it does require a different mindset one that i haven't used in a long while
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:11:38 am by Gunner »

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:07:18 am »
OT
A joke about different programming languages:
If you ask a programmer how to get somewhere his answer depends on the programming language he uses:
- C++: Go to that intersection, then right, straight, straight, straight and finally left and you will reach your destination.
- Pascal: Go to that intersection, turn right into Shakespeare st., next go to Goethe's st. and finally left into King's st. and there you are.
- Assembler: Go to that newsagent, buy a bus ticket, go to the bus stop over there and get on a bus, get out on the third stop, go through the underground passage and that's it.
- Prolog: You see that tall building with a red sign? That's it.
- Lisp: Go to that intersection and ask somebody there.
EOT