project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Licensing  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Licensing
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:06:11 pm »
this idea may be totally fubar but here goes

as i understand it once research is done on a blueprint then earth factories start turning them out in small numbers that you can buy.

if in stead you sold the licences to produce the weapon you gain a small monthly income and an ability to Buy the equipment. the down side it that the amount you can sell the equipment is dramatically reduced.

so as an example plasma rifles.
you recover them from the battle field and can sell them at a high price because they are rare on earth. after research you determing how to produce then. how ever they are still rare as you are the only manufaturer. however there are 0 avalable for purchase

then you sell the licence, now you can buy the weapon on the open market and make a small monthly income off of it but the weapons that you claim on the battlefield are now only worth a 1/4 of what they were before being licensed.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Licensing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »
Similar was suggested and rejected already IIRC.

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:33:03 pm »
Similar was suggested and rejected already IIRC.

-geever

be interesting to know why,
the changes code would be a minor tweak of what is already there, a boolean flag to the blue print, then a quick for loop in the monthly cost to calc the income and 2 if statements one on the price list and one of the production, and maybe an event to trigger a screen refresh

so i guess it wasn't dismissed for technical reasons. so probably just not a concept that was considered benifical.
i'll have another look and see if i can find it

odie

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:21:59 am »
be interesting to know why,
the changes code would be a minor tweak of what is already there, a boolean flag to the blue print, then a quick for loop in the monthly cost to calc the income and 2 if statements one on the price list and one of the production, and maybe an event to trigger a screen refresh

so i guess it wasn't dismissed for technical reasons. so probably just not a concept that was considered benifical.
i'll have another look and see if i can find it

Well, thats just the way the developers want this game to be.

Gunner, ur suggestions is very similar to that of games like X-force, where u can research something, 'patent' it and sell the license..... just a caution here that this is UFOAI, a different game. :D

But i like the idea though, fyi. lol. Extra income. But then again, if u play this game well enough, u actually will have tons more cash than u need. :D

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:31 am »
Well, thats just the way the developers want this game to be.

Gunner, ur suggestions is very similar to that of games like X-force, where u can research something, 'patent' it and sell the license..... just a caution here that this is UFOAI, a different game. :D

never played X force so take your word for it.

i'm a developer myself so i understand the technical limitation of games development, i also understand that conceptual limitations, if you try and make a game that does everything you usually end up with a game so complex that it is either unplayable or plays itself.

But i like the idea though, fyi. lol. Extra income. But then again, if u play this game well enough, u actually will have tons more cash than u need. :D

it wouldn't be extra money, it would be having to choose between a small but steady income or large 1 off windfalls.
so say you sell off the patent for plasma rifles then you are earning much less from every alien mission that leaves PR's but in return you are now earning a constant monthly income.

there is a small issue with it making manufacturing redundant, as if you need something then you sell the patent and buy it. which is an issue i have noticed is already in UFO, once you research something unless you need a mountain of them then it's quicker and easier to buy them than build them infact other than dissasembling UFO's the main thing my workshops do is build rocket packs and gas grenades

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:21:59 pm »
From what I understand, the aliens already hold all the patents of their equipment, and if you try to produce or reverse engineer their products, they will try to kill you for it. This is since they have extremely strict patent laws, and 0 tolerance for breaking them.

Either way, I don't think you can patent, and try to make a profit off of their equipment without pissing off their corporations... assuming they have any...

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »
From what I understand, the aliens already hold all the patents of their equipment, and if you try to produce or reverse engineer their products, they will try to kill you for it. This is since they have extremely strict patent laws, and 0 tolerance for breaking them.

Either way, I don't think you can patent, and try to make a profit off of their equipment without pissing off their corporations... assuming they have any...

a but earth is out side of there patent jurisdiction and never signed up to any inter-solar patent agreements. so they are out of luck

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:55:51 am »
a but earth is out side of there patent jurisdiction and never signed up to any inter-solar patent agreements. so they are out of luck

they out of luck... but definitely not out of tons of not bad weapons and ammo :P

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:47 am »
they out of luck... but definitely not out of tons of not bad weapons and ammo :P

yes and we have them 2 now we have copied them, and we have the home side advantage. we are sitting on the factories making them they are at the end of a logistics train spread over multiple light years

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:51:25 pm »
interesting idea, but maybe buying stuff instead of producing it, would be to easy... you need only money, thats all.
i think after implementing the feature, the game should be rebalanced.

maybe thats the reason they rejected the idea

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:21:44 pm »
interesting idea, but maybe buying stuff instead of producing it, would be to easy... you need only money, thats all.
i think after implementing the feature, the game should be rebalanced.

maybe thats the reason they rejected the idea

it would need balancing, but buying shouldn't need to replace production, as an example it would probably be more expensive buying than making it, so you have the choice of more money for right now or less money and you have to have to wait to build it. and buying would be limited to however many the factories are selling. once advance weapons hit the open market then every military in the world in going to be trying to buy them so stocks would be very limited.

admitedly i've not tried 2.3 yet but in 2.2 you can buy weapons that you research immediately. so buying instead of building is already an option
once i had researched the dragon's i went to build them but noticed there were already more than enough available in the shop to replace all my stilettos.
so this is a feature that is already included. just you don't earn an income from licensing the patents that seem to be given away as soon as you research them them

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 05:10:21 pm »
I dont like the patenting idea in itself, but I do think that weapons from aliens should be sellable.

Perhaps not officially, but there could be a "blackmarket". If the player chooses this option, and it is found out, it may have negative consequences (i.e losing support)

This may give him a slight strategic short-term benefit (i.e. money to buy new soldiers) while having some disadvantages in the long run. (But perhaps this is also not worth to have, it makes the game more complex too... I guess at second thought this is not a hugely important thing. In general what I would like to see is more options to leave cash-starved times during play especially at harder difficulties where money can become a very influencing factor).

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
I dont like the patenting idea in itself, but I do think that weapons from aliens should be sellable.

Perhaps not officially, but there could be a "blackmarket". If the player chooses this option, and it is found out, it may have negative consequences (i.e losing support)

you can already sell weapons, and why whould you sell to the blackmarket when legitimate militaries are falling over themselves to openly buy them?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 09:30:01 pm »
This topic is useless. Your idea won't be implemented.

-geever

odie

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:43:19 am »
This topic is useless. Your idea won't be implemented.

-geever

geever, might as well lock the thread? with the keynote - Proposal Received, Reviewed and Rejected.

:)

Maybe this could be the standard for closing unwanted topics / threads, in view we have many new users to forums. At least they see such things. Lol.

*Sidenote, crazy ideas.... : I know its cumbersome, but do u thnk we should keep a forum for admins only, to shifts such locked and rejected proposals into them? That way, ppl will know wats suggested, rejected, hence wont bring it up again. Of course, these remains locked so they cannot be 'reopened'.

Wat do u and the rest of the admins think? :D Should prove to be helpful in the long run.