project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Equipment Roles  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Equipment Roles
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:08:30 am »
Instead of assigning equipment to a person assign equipment to a role, and then assign a role to a person

so say you could have a Heavy combat role,
that's equipped with Flamers, combat armour, four fuel tanks, 6 frag grenades, and a combat knife

then you assign that role to 4 different troopers who then are equipped with all that equipment

then you could say decide that the Flamers isn't the weapon you want, so you change the role to use a plasma blaster, then all troopers will return their flamers and draw Plasma Blasters instead.

also would make it quicker and easier to tailor the load out for missions as you just have to change the role to a new one and not the entire load out.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Roles
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:44:20 pm »
As long as editing one specific soldiers equipment is still an option. Making it possible to make item sets that can be fitted to soldiers with only few clicks is a good idea though.

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:51:06 pm »
As long as editing one specific soldiers equipment is still an option. Making it possible to make item sets that can be fitted to soldiers with only few clicks is a good idea though.

thats easy enough to do you just create a role (in the code) that belongs to each soldier, then then when you edit that they get a custom load out. once you have the structure for the role in place then creating a custom one that belongs to each soldier with out being publicly shared is easy

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 01:57:32 pm »
Equipment templates is a planned feature.

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »
Equipment templates is a planned feature.

-geever

thought it seemed a bit obvious to be missing

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:52:59 am »
thought it seemed a bit obvious to be missing

sure but this probably only means that they have a lot of work already... ;)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:06 am »
sure but if you don't ask then you don't find out whats on the TODO list and what they just never thought of

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »
sure but if you don't ask then you don't find out whats on the TODO list and what they just never thought of

Check the trackers and the wiki.

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:10:30 pm »
i did, but didn't see this in there

looking back now i guess it comes under the heading of
"new soldier equip menu, see gallery for equip menu mockup and forum for some variants"

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »
I cant pinpoint for sure but I believe it was discussed in the forum many months ago too.
At least I think we have had some discussion about it already, and there is like a big pile of things
that should be implemented against the constant struggle for manpower and time ;)

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »
I cant pinpoint for sure but I believe it was discussed in the forum many months ago too.
At least I think we have had some discussion about it already, and there is like a big pile of things
that should be implemented against the constant struggle for manpower and time ;)

well i wasn't here a few months ago, i didn't find it on a search but not surprising as i was thinking of roles not templates.

i'd love to help out, i'm a software engineer myself, but working 50 hour weeks doesn't leave much time for personal coding

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 04:21:44 pm »
i did, but didn't see this in there

Where were you looking for it? It IS on the TODO List: TODO/General [open] inventory templates

Also on the Feature Tracker

And tons of places around the forum...

-geever

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 04:26:01 pm »
Where were you looking for it? It IS on the TODO List: TODO/General [open] inventory templates

Also on the Feature Tracker

And tons of places around the forum...

-geever

::smacks head:: yes i now i'm looking for templates not roles then it is everywhere

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55:03 pm »
Inventory templates won't go to 2.3, because it is a waste of time to code it with current inventory handling (which is a mess).
IF I will have the time or IF anyone other than me will do inventory management rewrite, inventory templates would be done for next release.