project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Anybody interested in making a mod?  (Read 3196 times)

nicknasty

Anybody interested in making a mod?
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:57:04 am »
Recently I've been playing a lot of a game called Gunrox. It's very basic considering the level of detail in UFO: AI, but, very addicting and has a large user-base. Check it out at www.gunrox.com . Anyhow I would like to make a Gunrox-Themed UFO:AI Mod. Most of the features are already there in UFO:AI, the only thing that would really need to be reworked would be the Multiplayer system (and Models and Maps and such). I would also like to give back to the UFO:AI team by maybe implementing this style of Match-Making back into UFO:AI (it is much more user friendly), if they chose to put it in. Ultimately, after this relatively simple project is finished, I believe the team could go on to make other games using UFO:AI. Maybe a Jagged Aliiance style MMO? Anyhow, I myself have years of experiance in 3D modelling and animating as well as 2D Texturing and Map Making. I also have some experience in C/C++ and modding and have begun to look around in the code trying to get a feel for it. I would really like another Programmer that is familiar with UFO:AI's code and anyone else that is interested with some skills. I would be willing to make a website and after some progress pay for a domain and a server.

I was also thinking about maybe making a site dedicated to all aspects of editing UFO:AI . If anyone is interested or has already made any tutorials on any subjects related to this please let me know!

Reply here if interested or e-mail me: nicholas.winkel@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:01:42 am by nicknasty »

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: Anybody interested in making a mod?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:08 am »
we are very interested in work like this - this would tell us where our scripts lacks features, where are features are good not good enough and so on. if the benefit would be to get a better working multiplayer game mode.... please do it. currently we really need coders. we still haven't released 2.3, but you should base your work onto this version. maybe it also helps us to find and fix some more bugs and finally bring out 2.3.

about the modding articles - you have seen our wiki and the scripting section? if you want to write more articles about modding ufoai, please also put them in our wiki.

nicknasty

Re: Anybody interested in making a mod?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:17 am »
I am glad you seem to like this idea. I will base the code on the latest development version. I did see your wiki, it just seemed to me as I quickly combed over it that (correct me if I am wrong) the tutorials were kind of generic, and they didn't directly tell you how to mod anything in UFO:AI. I remember back in the day when I started making little mods for the original Half-Life there were user made tutorials that focused on specific aspects of the code, for instance how to make a new weapon. Tutorials like these were very helpful for me back then. If I do write any tutorials, which I hope to as I get more involved in editing UFO:AI I would be happy to submit them to your wiki.

Oh and BTW I just wanted to say, I am very impressed with what you guys have done with Quake 2 engine. Very inspiring indeed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:02:52 am by nicknasty »