project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I'd like to play  (Read 5716 times)

Siber

I'd like to play
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:15:24 pm »
This is a pretty simple one... The sourceforge downloads for stable versions are all broken, and the most recent dev release(assuming I found the right one, 24458 multilevediff up from 23710) doesn't run, apparently a known issue without any apparent solutions, from a read of this thread. That thread ultimately resolves to telling people to get the stable 2.2.1 downloads, which as a previously mentioned are broken links.

Help?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to play
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »
Hmmm...  How about that - the link on SF reports:

Code: [Select]
The "/UFO_AI 2.x/2.2.1/ufoai-2.2.1-win32.exe" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file
That is strange.

I know Sourceforge has recently been upgrading their website - It could be related to that.

If the link doesn't start working again soon, I can put the 2.2.1 up on my own website and link to it temporarily.

Edit: Huh, it seems all the downloads are non-functional from SF, not just the Windows build...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:01:39 pm by Destructavator »

odie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 04:53:07 am »
Hmmm...  How about that - the link on SF reports:

Code: [Select]
The "/UFO_AI 2.x/2.2.1/ufoai-2.2.1-win32.exe" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file
That is strange.

I know Sourceforge has recently been upgrading their website - It could be related to that.

If the link doesn't start working again soon, I can put the 2.2.1 up on my own website and link to it temporarily.

Edit: Huh, it seems all the downloads are non-functional from SF, not just the Windows build...

Hmmm, strange. I still got 2.2.1 windows stable version. I be uploading to nakido now.

Okie, its uploading in progress, estimate takes abt 2 hrs from now. (11am +8GMT)
Link is available already:

UFOAI 2.2.1 Stable Release - Windows Version

Please wait until abt 1pm (+8GMT) before trying, and if it fails, wait some more, i have a slow connection (pathetic singapore connections.... lol)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 04:59:42 am by odie »

p_riley

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 11:13:07 pm »
New to the forum,so "hi"

This is for odie.I tried your link above to the latest version of UFOAI and managed to download from your specified server,yet when I try to open the download it says windows cannot open the file,possibly unknown file description etc.

As this game looks quite impressive I too would like to play it.Any ideas on how this can be done?

Cheers.

- Paul

odie

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:07 am »
New to the forum,so "hi"

This is for odie.I tried your link above to the latest version of UFOAI and managed to download from your specified server,yet when I try to open the download it says windows cannot open the file,possibly unknown file description etc.

As this game looks quite impressive I too would like to play it.Any ideas on how this can be done?

Cheers.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

1) Basics first. I need to make sure u r running a windows 32 bits platform? I.e. Windows XP or 2000 or even perhaps vista?

2) The 'server' is not mine. Lol. Its a file sharing system called nakido, think of it like filefront. When prompted to download it, u should just keep its filename (or rename it keeping its extension as an executable aka ".exe").

3) You must be logged in as an ADMINISTRATOR (or administrator rights') account to install the game.

4) Could u check your downloaded file to make sure its:
  • File Size - 385 MB (403,875,396 bytes)
  • Checksum -
    CRC32 - 65D11115
    MD5 - 5E8ED6AAF50378488202BE74539A8D06
    SHA-1 - 841CCAE450DE46EF9734CCE13DDFE88F45A4FBAB

If it isnt, it means its not a valid download. U have to probably download again.
If the extension is a 'blank' or something else than .exe, rename it to perhaps ufoai-install.exe and try running it.

Hope it works for u!

Toodles!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:32:01 am »
@odie: It would be a good idea to present checksum(s) for your regular uploads too.

-geever

p_riley

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 10:57:15 am »
Thanks for the support odie.I will do as you said,and let you know the outcome as and when.
For the record I AM using WinXP (home edition)
Finally,sorry to appear naive,but how do I verify the 'checksum' ?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:00:14 am by p_riley »

p_riley

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:09:27 pm »
Well odie,

I re-downloaded the package,and renamed the file to 'ufo-install.exe' ,and at the bottom saved as 'all files' for type of file,as this may have been the problem before.And...the files are finally being unpacked onto my hard drive! so far so good!

I am looking forward to this,as I am a huge fan of XCOM,have all the UFO games made by Altar,and am currently playing UFO Extra Terrestrials too.This looks really good.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks mate!

p_riley

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »
Right I made it to the main menu screen of the game,yet it appears to be in a rather small windowed mode.Any ideas how I can switch to full screen?

-Paul.

p_riley

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »
Never mind,I managed to find the full screen in the options,never dawned on me to look in there  ;D
I also wanted to get the 3D geoscape,which was flat by default,again,never realised it was actually in the options menu.

Well,will have a crack at this game a bit later.

Keep up the good work!  ;)

- Paul

odie

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
@odie: It would be a good idea to present checksum(s) for your regular uploads too.

-geever

Yes geever,

I just got a freeware version downloaded at work. I could hardly find a freeware for non-profit organisation, mostly for home or evaluation. lol.

I am going to do just tat from my tml's versions onwards. Haha. :P

Thanks for the idea! Its wonderful! Haha, i always do checksum for my frds to make sure nothing else 'gets attached' along the way. Stupid troj and spywares esp.

Niknud

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »
Is there any other places to download this game from?  This is a very painful 9kb a second download for me.

odie

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 06:37:11 pm »
Is there any other places to download this game from?  This is a very painful 9kb a second download for me.

Eh? How come so slow? 9kbps is pathetic.... curious, did u download and install the nakido flag? U be better off with it. Plus it comes with resume functions.

Its safe too, juz unload it after u r done if u not willing to keep something like dat in TSR. :D