project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Vedrit / MXcom - On Usage of Maps Archives  (Read 3694 times)

odie

Vedrit / MXcom - On Usage of Maps Archives
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:43 am »
This is an earlier conversation continuation from here.

Errrr... don't you have 7-zip? Take it from http://www.7-zip.org/

It is excellent free archiver, can handle many types of archives and utilizes good compression algorithms (LZMA, ppMd, bzip2). I rate it as "must-have". LZMA beats popular zip compression, so it's useful for saving traffic. Can make sfx archives as well with overhead about 100k.

Р.S. Also it can uncompress WinRar archives.

Yes, and on top of that, its opensource freeware. :D
Its compression ratio is also pretty decent, with strong good algorithms - In fact MUCH better than 7zip.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I use the maps you've put into an extra download, odie?

Extract it into the base folder, is that correct?
edit: I think it worked, but I experienced so many bugs in this revision :(
First, in your map folder there's no maps/ufocrash/uc_craft_drop_firebird.bsp, the game moaned about that when I tried to go on my first mission. I looked into it and found it's most likely a naming issue because there's a uc_craft_craft_drop_firebird.bsp & .map (yes, two times "craft"). Renaming them to uc_craft_drop_firebird seems to fix the issue. Since it might be a problem with your build, rather than with trunk, I'm posting this here for you.

U r right about the first bit. U need to unpack it into ur svn directory.

I am not too sure how u exactly unpack, but u need to have uc_craft_drop_firebird.bsp inside \base\maps\ufocrash -> Can u verify that? It should be a 512kb file.

If its not there, then most likely u unpacked the archive's files (all of them) into a wrong directory. Pls rectify.

Btw, the MAPS archives is not meant as a replacement for your building of CB and stuff. :D Its meant for Thyranim mostly so that he can save some map archives issues. But made available also for others who wan to save time and dun wan to download / compile massive maps. :D Hehe.

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Vedrit / MXcom - On Usage of Maps Archives
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
[...]
U r right about the first bit. U need to unpack it into ur svn directory.

I am not too sure how u exactly unpack, but u need to have uc_craft_drop_firebird.bsp inside \base\maps\ufocrash -> Can u verify that? It should be a 512kb file.
If its not there, then most likely u unpacked the archive's files (all of them) into a wrong directory. Pls rectify.

Looking at the logs you provided with your newest build, it was an error in trunk that is now fixed (r25300). Thanks anyway. :)

Btw, the MAPS archives is not meant as a replacement for your building of CB and stuff. :D Its meant for Thyranim mostly so that he can save some map archives issues. But made available also for others who wan to save time and dun wan to download / compile massive maps. :D Hehe.
Wait a second, I don't quite get what you're saying here..
I have to build something, even if I use your installers?
I thought I could just install your build (R25206 in this case), and to also have the newest maps, extract the contents of the other archive ("recompilation of the maps, as of revision, R25298"). Was this wrong?

Offline Thyranim

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:41:33 pm »
no, odie compilied the maps seperately for me and others who are building the game themselves but don't want to compile the maps (takes several hours to compile them)

so for you, when you are downloading the installer, the maps are already included there and you don't have to download the maps seperately ;)

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »
However, an older version of the maps was included in the installer:
R25298 is compiled and is being uploaded to nakido now. (Last Complete Rebuilt of Maps will be as of version R25206.)
If I understand this correctly, he bundled the maps of R25206 with his installer.
And in the same post, he also posted the maps of r25298:
I am also including my recompilation of the maps, as of revision, R25298

So I thought I'd also download the maps (since they had some updates it seems from the logs odie posted) and use them together with the binaries he provided. Is that not possible?

Offline Thyranim

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »
you missunderstood something in his post

he was uploading the game in revision r25298 including the maps of revision r25206, because nothing has changed for the maps till then

additionally he is uploading the maps as stand-alone-package of this same installer
(PS: read the whole line:
Quote from: odie
I am also including my recompilation of the maps, as of revision, R25298 (Last full recompilation as of R25206) here.
so it is the map-package of the the r25206 )

so the first is the installer AND the maps in 1 package (nearly 600 MB), the second is ONLY the maps (nearly 90MB) without any other...

if you are downloading the installer, there will be no need to download the maps again (because they are also included in the installer of same version)

update:
i'm currently redownloading the maps o i can tell you, how to use them if you still want to
ok, re-downloaded the extra-map-package by odie
to use this in the installer-package (which still both are the same) you have to do several things:
-install the game
-look into the base-folder
-rename the 0maps.pk3 into 0maps.zip so you can extract it with archiver of your choice (7zip, winrar, whatever...)
-you're getting 2 folder:s maps and materials, delete the maps-folder and also delete the 0maps.zip file
-copy the maps-archive into your base-folder
-extract it
-done

many many many work and you don't get any advantage of it, because the maps-folder inside this extra-archive is the same as the maps-folder inside the 0maps-file by the installer !
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:08:33 pm by Thyranim »

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »
I see, thanks for the detailed explanation :)

I misunderstood this sentence
I am also including my recompilation of the maps, as of revision, R25298 (Last full recompilation as of R25206) here.
as "Here are the maps of r25298. (The last time I uploaded them it was r25206)"

But now I understand it correctly. Thanks again. :)