project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Video Mode / Resolution  (Read 8793 times)

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Video Mode / Resolution
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »
Hi. I´m playing this game, and i must congratulate the programmers and the people who is working on this game. I missed too much the X-COM, and now i have this game, and i think it will be better than the original!  ;D

I have a problem with the video. I want to play at full screen, but the program end. How can i change the standar resolution (1024 x 720) for another one? I´m running on VISTA and my screen resolution y 1280 x 800, 32 bits.

Thank you and go ahead! you are making a good work!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:55:58 pm by Mattn »

Offline Thyranim

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Video
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:25:34 pm »
in the menu "options" and the sub-menu "video" there is the possibility to chagne resolution as the very first...
switch to resolution you want to have and click on the symbol right in front of it
after that the game changes resolution and asks you to accept it or change back to previous

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:49 pm »
Yes, but i still having the problem. When i do that, the program shut down. It never ask me about accept or not the change  :'(

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:21 am »
Yes, but i still having the problem. When i do that, the program shut down. It never ask me about accept or not the change  :'(

Start the game with
Code: [Select]
ufo.exe +set vid_mode 17
ps. Is it the released version (2.2.1) ?

-geever

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:12:39 pm »
Yes, i´m running 2.2.1. Yesterday i opened the in game console, i set vid_mode=1, but the game shut down.

How i can run the game with that code? I must run it by MS-DOS console?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:14:29 pm by Duque Atreides »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:35 pm »
Yes, i´m running 2.2.1. Yesterday i opened the in game console, i set vid_mode=1, but the game shut down.

How i can run the game with that code? I must run it by MS-DOS console?

From windows' console (still cmd.exe?), but only once when you set up. If/when you exit the game it remember the setting. +set vid_fullscreen 1 is also usefull.

Another way is looking for the config.cfg (\Users\<username>\appData\Roaming\UFOAI\<version>\) and set the values there.

-geever

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Video Mode / Resolution
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:14:34 pm »
Ok, i will try it. Thanks

nicknasty

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36:54 pm »
I had this same problem(and I am also on Vista). When you go to change the resolution the game does a hard crash. I went into the config and put the video mode on 18 (1680x1050) and it worked.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 03:08:10 pm »
Developers question: why do we have this "video modes", i really dont understand the point to allow user to set a video mode (this id should be used internally only). It is not easy to rework the code when id are shared, and it is anyway more easy for user to set resolution with width/height.

odie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »
Developers question: why do we have this "video modes", i really dont understand the point to allow user to set a video mode (this id should be used internally only). It is not easy to rework the code when id are shared, and it is anyway more easy for user to set resolution with width/height.

To Mattn n Team,

I share bayo's sentiments. I have been wondering since 2.1 why was there a need to change into so many (all types) of resolutions?

Was it due to cross platform issues? (Full compatibility vs Graphics card issues?)

Was it also due to the fact that this was allowed so that lower specs system can choose lower resolution to compensate for speed?

Was it perhaps due to the fact that its for testing purposes?

Or multiplayer play experience.....??

Okie, juz giving some hypothetical scenarios, since perhaps this might even be implemented by the PREVIOUS dev team whom mainly are not even around anymore.....

Perhaps BTAxis our link knows something about this??

Reason for raising this issue up was because in most other games, they allowed onli mainly 3 types of resolutions:

640 x 480 (ridiculous IMO)
800 x 600 (Standard 1)
1024 x 768 (Standard 2)

I know of some which allows widescreen or 4:3 / 16:9 / 16:7 ratio. If thats the case, we might just consider 1 more widescreen option? Hmmmmm.

For insights input. :D

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:40:47 pm »
it's an old quake artifact - of course it can be removed - in fact we already have support for defining width and height with cvars, too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:46:43 pm by Mattn »

Offline Duque Atreides

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:31:59 am »
I had this same problem(and I am also on Vista). When you go to change the resolution the game does a hard crash. I went into the config and put the video mode on 18 (1680x1050) and it worked.

How can i go to this config? where it must be?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:57 am »
How can i go to this config? where it must be?

It is in our FAQ. Please, look around before ask.

-geever