project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Germany preparing to ban violent video games (story)  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Germany preparing to ban violent video games (story)
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:33 pm »
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143914

I'm just hoping this won't affect UFO:AI in Germany - I'm not sure if this project would even be governed or not by the proposed legislation, or if it fits the definition of a violent video game or not in the proposed law.

Hopefully there's nothing to worry about...

odie

Re: Germany preparing to ban violent video games (story)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:12:08 am »
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/143914

I'm just hoping this won't affect UFO:AI in Germany - I'm not sure if this project would even be governed or not by the proposed legislation, or if it fits the definition of a violent video game or not in the proposed law.

Hopefully there's nothing to worry about...

Oh, heard this in the news sometime back here @ home. I guess it will not really pass through; and if it does, UFOAI will surely fall into that category.

And well, its our common hope that this will not really pass thru, as the way i see it - a ban will not be effective as there are still other medias that stats worse violence (not forgetting they will still have the internet too......which u cant really ban em all).....

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:36:07 am »
Personally I do not believe they will do it, because it will hurt the
german game industry a lot. And at the end of the day, money is
what interests politicans.

odie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 07:26:54 am »
Personally I do not believe they will do it, because it will hurt the
german game industry a lot. And at the end of the day, money is
what interests politicans.

Well, this one might really look different - cos EVERY single house / governance of states have agreed. Its up to the supreme court now..... *fingers crossed*

Van de Fanel

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:06:44 pm »
Its always the same here...
- Pupil does gun rampage
- Politicans say: "Ban all killergames"
They dont even have the faintest idea what they are talking about.
But...even if the secretarys of the Interior of all 16 german states want this enactment...the german Bundestag (Lower House of German Parliament) have to go along with it. Otherwise it doesnt become law....

If it does...
I don't give a tinker's damn about it. Belgium is 500 meters away  ;D

PS: hope my english doesnt contain too much misspelling...

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02:07 pm »
Yeah, and it's somewhat interesting that the latest "amok" quickly vanished from the media - it was a girl and they didn't find any computer games, so she didn't fit into the political line, did she?

odie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:26:04 am »
Its always the same here...
- Pupil does gun rampage
- Politicans say: "Ban all killergames"
They dont even have the faintest idea what they are talking about.
But...even if the secretarys of the Interior of all 16 german states want this enactment...the german Bundestag (Lower House of German Parliament) have to go along with it. Otherwise it doesnt become law....

If it does...
I don't give a tinker's damn about it. Belgium is 500 meters away  ;D

PS: hope my english doesnt contain too much misspelling...

Maybe it would be a better idea to have complete gun controls?? (Though i understand many areas requires arms for protection vs wildlife and the such).

Then again, their elections are near..... which definately do not downplay politics stuff again here.

Ah well, back to UFOAI then. Lol. It wont be banned here for sure! :D

Van de Fanel

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:32 pm »
Maybe it would be a better idea to have complete gun controls?? (Though i understand many areas requires arms for protection vs wildlife and the such).

Then again, their elections are near..... which definately do not downplay politics stuff again here.

Ah well, back to UFOAI then. Lol. It wont be banned here for sure! :D
Thats the point...
Germany got the hardest gun law in Europa...maybe in the whole world. But if one REALY WANT to do such a thing, he WILL...if politicans ban computergames or not...
My mom told me a thing...when she was a child, there was gun rampage anywhere in germany. A guy used a flamethrower (!) to fire through a window into a classroom. What was the reason at this time? The Beatles???
As always...politicans dont know what they are talking about... :-X

(btw odie...the wildlife in germany isnt that hostile, that you have to use a gun to protect yourself...hmm...well...maybe if a cow wants to lick through your face... ;D )

I'm looking foreward to the elections too...hope the new pirate-party can teach those great, old german partys a lesson or two...

Yeah, and it's somewhat interesting that the latest "amok" quickly vanished from the media - it was a girl and they didn't find any computer games, so she didn't fit into the political line, did she?
Yeah...but she used a knife and most of the games use guns...dont know, if politicans even know, that you can use a knife in CS  ;)

odie

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:59:11 am »
Thats the point...
Germany got the hardest gun law in Europa...maybe in the whole world. But if one REALY WANT to do such a thing, he WILL...if politicans ban computergames or not...
My mom told me a thing...when she was a child, there was gun rampage anywhere in germany. A guy used a flamethrower (!) to fire through a window into a classroom. What was the reason at this time? The Beatles???
As always...politicans dont know what they are talking about... :-X

Flamethrower?!?!?!??!? OMG! WTF! Thts insane.

And well, politics are always messy. Politicians are simply walking messes alot of the time (i am NOT saying all are, but alot of em i see in the world are -> specifically old batch taiwan, honduras, even indonesia and malaysia to a certain extent. I have even seen messy british's politician's lives totally messed up).

(btw odie...the wildlife in germany isnt that hostile, that you have to use a gun to protect yourself...hmm...well...maybe if a cow wants to lick through your face... ;D )

HAHAHAHHAAHA...... WOW! That would be disgusting! And trust me, if its a cow (female obviously, males are bulls lol), i would just pull her udder. lol. Then again, sidetrack - Read this cute thing: How to Milk a Cow.... ok, i was totally random here.

I'm looking foreward to the elections too...hope the new pirate-party can teach those great, old german partys a lesson or two...
Yeah...but she used a knife and most of the games use guns...dont know, if politicans even know, that you can use a knife in CS  ;)

Oh, and dun they know CS allows punches too? They gonna restrict and ban the use of hands?? Lol.

Its the mindset of the ppl, not things.... sigh. Which part of that simple theory do they not understand?

Its just like -> Morphine is good for medical use, but abused. Does that warrant banning every use of morphine?? No. Same as for things like piritone. There will always be piritone abuse, but its an absolutely essential drug. lol