project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Human Head Model Proves A Headache...  (Read 17782 times)

odie

Re: Human Head Model Proves A Headache...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:06:00 am »
Ah! Destructavator,

That last post looks so much better now - as compared with the higher res ones for me. The higher res ones look very 'computer graphiced' whilst these latest ones look so much more 'game-like natural'.

I like esp the development on the hair - haha, its very much like mine - GI style and crew cut (when i was in NS). Cool! Lol. Army man should be like that - clean crew cuts, nothing punkish, nor business like.

In fact, it might even be cooler if u think of adding a significant scar for some (on face / hands in future), whilst others get a tinge of shade for the eyes (as in eye colors, dun read too deep into that. :P)

Nice work Destructavator!! I look forward to see more of these works!

Ildamos

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 09:17:45 am »
You've made the lips smaller. Nice work!

I've also nailed what has been bothering me --- you've spaced the lower and upper eyelids too far apart resulting in the entire pupil being seen. With normal eyes you don't see the upper and lower edges of the pupil. To put into perspective:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1849829/2/istockphoto_1849829_hazel_eye.jpg

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~svickers/images/eye.jpg

Always the top and bottom parts are covered by the lids.

Also, I think it's asking to much but if you could thin out the upper lip, it'd be awesome!

(Jim Lee's work follow the above convention: http://www.heroesandvillainscomics.net/images/BatmanHush.jpg http://batsite29.free.fr/fdecran/batman.hush_b.jpg thin upper lip, normal lower lip)

I hope that helps.

Keep up the good job!

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
I think the eyebrows may still be a little too prominent. Also, the chin and general space around the face seems rather wide, but that may be a result of little hair.

It definitely looks like some people do, just not very "average" yet. The thing with faces is that we are so used to reading them in every detail that it is hard to say what exactly looks odd...

Maybe it's too symmetrical. That's another thing that often separates artifical faces from real ones.

And I don't know if it is any help, but I found that playing around with the face generator from Fallout 3 made me more aware of the things that make people look different, like how far apart their eyes are, and what change causes what effect.
Different face shapes are a good way to differentiate people with otherwise similar features, for example.

odie

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 06:12:49 pm »
Hmmm, i have some links which i am not too sure if it helps. Its very technical, but its technology and facial recognition stuff. Dun give up until the page 5 where it gives pretty good and interesting insights into computer facial recognition, it might help u wif ur current work. :D

PDF File 1

Another one here, go straight to somewhere page 7 or 8, where esp color schemes for diff race helps.

PDF File 2

For a whole lot more, a frd of mine recommended a site to u. She's in computer animation.....

Facial Recognition Database

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »
i dont know if this is helpfull at all: http://www.faceresearch.org

but as a registered user you can upload your own faces, getting an average face out of selected faces and so on...
maybe helpfull for the face textures or something?? i havent read the whole post, sorry for just posting here  :P

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7677/facess.jpg

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:20 pm »
Thanks to all of you for the advice and links!

I also just downloaded and tried the nightly Linux build of the all-new MakeHuman program, and while still in alpha phase they already have many new models with different ethnic settings, and they just implemented export into OBJ - I'm glad they finally developed it this far because the several-years-old version I used previously for this head (in the pics in this thread) produced very clunky, hard-to-work-with models that couldn't be varied too much.
The newer MakeHuman model heads are much easier to shape, change, and they don't have tons of extra and unnecessary polys like the old one that I had to work out by hand.
The links are still very good though, as they'll give me ideas for various new heads.

As a side note, I can also use the modeling technique I used to put photographs of *real* people onto low-poly heads - I actually thought about doing this, effectively putting real people (whomever would volunteer) inside the game, then adding variations of hair color etc. (by first doctoring the photos), but I didn't know if enough people would volunteer.

If this idea interests any of you - putting real faces from developers and contributors inside the game - you're more than welcome to start a list of volunteers and if enough people sign up I'll go that route.  Also, I can alter the facial shape of models from real photos as well, so there's no need to worry if you think your face might not look too good as it is for a soldier.  (Heck, myself I've gained a bit of weight and now consider myself to be "ability-to-fit-into-a-chair-with-arms-on-it-without-the-employment-of-a-shoehorn-impaired", but altering such characteristics shouldn't be too hard.)  Also, I'd be willing to alter the shape anyhow if you don't want to be recognized, for privacy purposes (If such a thing is done I can accept private emails of photos).

Please do not simply start taking pictures and sending them though, as they need to be done in certain ways and at specific angles.

Otherwise, I'm just going to use the new MakeHuman models and work from those.

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:32 pm »
An intriguing thought.
Though I do not like spreading pictures of myself on 'net, it would be an honor to appear in the game. If that is really going to happen.

The only problem would be that if all the soldiers end up being people who contribute here, who am I going to send in first? :D

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 11:35:18 pm »
The only problem would be that if all the soldiers end up being people who contribute here, who am I going to send in first?

LOL!  I didn't think of that...

In a single-player game, it doesn't matter since only the one player sees what happens and can pretend afterward - In light of your question I just realized that this could make a multi-player experience more ...interesting, especially when one of the players is a developer or contributor who volunteered their face...

odie

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 05:34:42 am »
LOL!  I didn't think of that...

In a single-player game, it doesn't matter since only the one player sees what happens and can pretend afterward - In light of your question I just realized that this could make a multi-player experience more ...interesting, especially when one of the players is a developer or contributor who volunteered their face...

Haha, i can imagine in the future, when soldier's face might display fear / panic, the face changes accordingly..... and its one of us here! lol. I would love to see that. Aniwae, its a sidetrack. lol

I dun thnk i make very 'garang' kind, haha, but i can though. (garang - malay word for ehmmmm..... brave, charging, valor, doing it, something along that line, transition is not always easy)

Destructavator, u mentioned shots needed to be taken at a certain angle? Like eg? lol. And wat kind of resolution do u need? Size also?

Also, are we thinking of randomly picking ppl from the internet? :P Eg, Mr bill gate or donald trumph or Hellkitchen's Ramsay? lol. they have pretty unique profiles. lol. Imagine their corporation got attacked and they become the 'civilian'. lol.

Or imagine US defense secretary Robert Michael, or deceased (though i rather respect the dead) famous ppl like einstein? :P

Okie, i am hungry, and imagining too many offtopic stuff. :P

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
Mr bill gate or donald trumph

Make those infected civilians please. ;)

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 03:08:19 pm »
Yeah, that would be interesting if we used high-profile people like that...   ;D

More seriously though, if we were to use real faces they would have to be people who volunteer and consent or in some way give permission to have their faces put in the game, keeping in mind the open license the game is released under and how such head models could be passed around the net.

For now I'll use MakeHuman - If you want to volunteer your face then start a list, but don't just start sending pictures until/unless the list gets big enough.  (We would need enough of both male and female face photos.)

odie

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 11:17:46 am »
Yeah, that would be interesting if we used high-profile people like that...   ;D

More seriously though, if we were to use real faces they would have to be people who volunteer and consent or in some way give permission to have their faces put in the game, keeping in mind the open license the game is released under and how such head models could be passed around the net.

For now I'll use MakeHuman - If you want to volunteer your face then start a list, but don't just start sending pictures until/unless the list gets big enough.  (We would need enough of both male and female face photos.)

What do u thnk of this:

If its agreeable on the map-coders / renderers / game developers side, we can consider generating 'mock-Microsoft Towers', 'Pentagon', 'Wall Street' kinda high profile maps. (Or for fun's sake, consider 7 wonders of the world? Lol, afterall, dun we have many movies trying to get these LIBERTY STATUES scenes on? Lol)

Then, we can consider writing in formally to some of the corporations and seek permission to use the face of high profile folks for permissions (with credits of course) on the gameset? If required, i can always help to draft letters. Lol. :P

Cools?

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »
let's focus on getting it done.  Re-skinning some heads will be child's play to put faces in later.

Offline Borsti67

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 08:56:47 pm »
Coolest thing would be if the user could insert this at playing time... ;D

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »
Special missions at histsorical locations would be nice, though those maps will not be used a lot.

And as for asking the people... I think making players protect "some very wealthy software company CEO" called "Will Windows" should suffice. ;)
But like Phil said, I don't believe this kind of stuff has any priority.