project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some ideas  (Read 9996 times)

Ain Soph Aur

Re: Some ideas
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:26:41 pm »
for me personly, the "Search & Rescue - VIP/Briefcase" sounds very interesting! would love to see that in the game.

...but theyr job is to implement the most-wanted features as soon as possible...

i dont see it that way. they dont have a "job". they work for free, can do what ever they want and hey, you can also implement the features you like your self. so the only thing you can do is to inform (or inspire) the developers about what you would like to see in the game (and you have done that). and they must not hurry up! i also want to play the 2.3 as soon as possible but overall i am glad that the game is open source and exists at all...

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
for me personly, the "Search & Rescue - VIP/Briefcase" sounds very interesting! would love to see that in the game.

i dont see it that way. they dont have a "job". they work for free, can do what ever they want and hey, you can also implement the features you like your self. so the only thing you can do is to inform (or inspire) the developers about what you would like to see in the game (and you have done that). and they must not hurry up! i also want to play the 2.3 as soon as possible but overall i am glad that the game is open source and exists at all...

nicely said, but it would be my trollish pleasure to add more.

why telling ufo-ai developers what their job is, sounds so irritating to them (as i understand it from their allergic responses).
so, what do those statements about the ufo-ai developer's job sound like?

i can toss people around from a position of authority, like a boss or something.
and then that pleases my ego and completely shuts down my common sense.

i think that it is not worth starting a forum war over it every time like it has happened so often here.
everybody behaves irrationally sometimes.
if you have read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, in that book douglas adams quite subtly explains how humans are not descendants of apes but are descendants of cretins, and gives something like a linguistic proof of it.

i hope btaxis and whoever who gets annoyed about people who talk about ufo-ai as their job will get enlightened and come to terms with other people and themselves being cretins.
believe me, i was bit disappointed in people myself at some point, and found great relief in that statement, and actually it is also the truth, and has always been true even when i didn't see the truth myself yet : )
denial of the truth tends to create most problems ; )

really, this may seem like a small detail to some people, but telling freeware devs what their job is produces an allergic reaction.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 11:12:05 pm »
nicely said, but it would be my trollish pleasure to add more.

Yikes, is such a thing really necessary here?

Further, I can see your point in the rest of your post after this statement, but it isn't on topic, and it doesn't contribute anything at all to this project really.

That, and I'd also like to point out that yes, this is a project people work on in their spare time, not some full-time dedicated job, which is probably why it doesn't advance as quickly as some might like.

In the last several days this forum sure heated up, I think some people here need to calm down a bit, geez...

Edit:  I'll also say that those who want to contribute something to this project, something constructive, are more than welcome to post some artwork, clips, fire up an editor and make something, whatever, but I'd appreciate it if we didn't have people picking on each other here...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:18:32 pm by Destructavator »

Digin_BR

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 12:08:32 am »
by "worktime" i was meaning "the time you work over the developing of the game"...  :-\

see what i say? my english is good in terms of words, but poor in terms of saying what i mean...im kinda the reverse of the terrorist in the "terrorist interview" video. (for those who dont know it --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqTKBI1ImTw )...I NEED SUBTITLES FOR MY BRAINWAVES! :P

and aboult still wrong version...well...whatever...the important thing is that the version i have is really the last stable available...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:11:49 am by Digin_BR »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 01:35:25 am »
by "worktime" i was meaning "the time you work over the developing of the game"...  :-\

Ok, still: Are we using our time efficiently if we're doing the features YOU would like to see? Who do you think you are?
Shit. Arguing with you must be very efficient...

Please send a patch to our Patch Tracker once you implemented those "easy" new missions.

-geever

Digin_BR

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 03:15:34 am »
 :o calm down geever, take it easy...i dont want any DEVs having a heart stop and delaying the releace even more...

i dont think loosing control and freaking off at me is much efficient as well... :P ...kiddin!  ;D

but seriously, dont start a fight for nothing, as i sayd before, i didnt intended to be rude with anybody...if you got it that way, sorry for being enough confusing for you to think that way...as i am getting tired to tell, i have serious problems to say what i actualy mean...

and to answer your question: yes, i do think you are being efficient by implementing the features that "I" would like to see...

what i sayd is that you are not being as efficient as you could be, giving priority on improving menus instead of giving priority to improving the point people is requesting(just do some research on the threads): REPLAY FACTOR -> some want more equipment, some want better AI, some want more mission types...but the wanted result is replay factor...in these 3, more equipment adds little...better AI = hard work for same results of new mission types...new mission types = more worth it...

you already improved AI at .3 anyway...and i am already working to make 3d models, menu artwork and concepts...and more ppl does the same, so equipment should grow over time as well...so the only think DEV team has to take care of is the mission types improvements!

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:28 am »
Aren't you forgetting that the team has more pressing issues to deal with? Like pathfinding that is really important thing to this game and its general enjoyment and is rather bugged right now.
Also, seems to me only mission types are not worked on, new equipment will propably come if the Devs let and AI is being worked on. Not working on more mission types is propably because they first want to make the normal missions work correctly (for example pahfinding is really bugged in some maps). Also there is the huge load of bugs that can keep them busy.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 04:20:51 am »
...and i am already working to make 3d models, menu artwork and concepts...and more ppl does the same, so equipment should grow over time as well...

If you're working on things you plan to offer for the game, I'd suggest looking at the wiki under "TODO" and some of the proposed artwork and other content listed there for what's needed the most.

As for new mission types though, you would probably be on your own to make those if you want them in the game - as I believe geever was trying to express (geever, you may correct me if I'm mistaken) - at least for now, as it really would make sense to fix existing issues first before implementing new features in some future release (as Hertzila pointed out).

As a side note, I'll say again that I've seen this recent bickering in a number of recent threads in this forum put a lot of people on edge, and I'd suggest that we avoid "fueling the fire" and adding to the stress.  I'm no exception - I'm a bit worked up myself now, but I'm an adult and I'd like to move past these conflicts.  I'm not going to go into a long speech or anything, but I'll just say that I've seen this type of thing erupt in this forum before, and eventually it had been worked out.  I feel sorry for some of the newcomers caught up in these recent conflicts who don't intend to get pulled into a war of any kind, although some certainly have better intentions than others - I won't point my finger at anyone though.  Let's try to move past it, shall we?

- Destructavator

odie

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 05:14:16 am »
Okie folks,

Chill off. I thnk this thread is meaningless now. The 'ideas' initially contributed does not in any sense contribute to the progress of the game.....

In fact it seemed to have done the EXACT opposite -> of drawing precious time from good ppl like Destructavator (from his ever good music making), geever (from what precious time could be used to squash another bug and code more) and many of the good folks (who can contribute by playing the game and reporting bugs) and perhaps many more of the coders / mappers / translators (who might be seeing this senseless and meaningless and does not contribute to progress of game....)

Hence, please lock this thread after this, move your attention (everyone esp the newbs) to the TODO section of UFOAI Wiki.

More Specifically:
1) 2.3 UFOAI TODO for Overall Project
2) 2.3 UFOAI TODO for General

Chill chill Destructavator and geever. Ok? ;)
No point getting even bothered by these. If u need, juz lock thread and dismiss such threads in future with a comment -> Say "Suggested Before, Discussed Before, Rejected, Refer to previous discussions?". Haha.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 06:10:54 am »
Agreed.  I don't see any good point in continuing this thread, with where it is going, and the topic of the initial post has been addressed already.

Therefore, topic locked.