project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Electro lasers  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Electro lasers
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:50:42 pm »
Not sure if it is a bug. Maybe it is intended and I got the wrong idea.

In case Electro lasers are intended to stun the targets, then it is certanly bugged. I went on a mission against 6 aliens with 8 soldiers. 4 of them droped their lethal weapons and used only the electro lasers they had on their backpack to take down 3 aliens (no other weapon hits). Each alien took about ~7 electro laser hits before going down. The other 3 aliens were killed with regular lethal weapons. On victory screen, game stated all 6 aliens as dead. Dunno if it matters, but I was playing on very hard campaing.

Obs: R25053

Offline Sepelio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Electro lasers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:37:20 pm »
This happened to me as well, I was trying to capture a whole load of aliens but instead they all died instead.

I was very miffed since I would have got like 4 of them.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:01 am »
Just to clarify things: you have Alien Containment in the base being homebase for the team you sent into the battle, do you? Because if you don't, the aliens are being killed & being reported as killed after the battle (you don't have facility to keep them).

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »
Yes, there is an Alien Containment on dropship homebase since the begining of the campaign.

odie

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:43 am »
Yes, there is an Alien Containment on dropship homebase since the begining of the campaign.

Juz a further clarification:

1) Is your Alien Containment fully built and operational already?
2) Is it full already? I rmbr reading somewhere that there is a limit.

:D
Odie

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:38:32 am »
Fully built and had just a few dead aliens on it. I tested and did same mission again with half soldiers using stun rods. I was able to get 2 live aliens. Problem seems just electro laser.

odie

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:00:39 am »
Fully built and had just a few dead aliens on it. I tested and did same mission again with half soldiers using stun rods. I was able to get 2 live aliens. Problem seems just electro laser.

Interesting. I have a quick look comparing stun rods (/base/ufos/weapons_melee.ufo) and the ammo for electro laser (/base/ufos/weapons_laser.ufo).

The damage types are similar..... seems correct. Curious, was the alien full strength when u electrofied it? Or was it alr hit and dying and u follow up with 'kill' using EL?

Maybe the programmers need take a look at this.... i have yet to 'researched electro lasers' on my new game. May need to speed up for my game to check this.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:03:31 am »
4 of them droped their lethal weapons and used only the electro lasers they had on their backpack to take down 3 aliens (no other weapon hits). Each alien took about ~7 electro laser hits before going down.
  ;)

Offline Muton

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:57:27 pm »
As i've played ufoai i've used the electro many times
because of the low TU
But i've never stunned an alien with this weapon

Later i've added autofire to this weapon
and i was'nt able to stunn an alien either.

If you ask me
The risk to kill an alien with the electro than to stunn should be very high
9 of 10 aliens should just die

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:08:47 am »
Well, by comparison, taser guns are known to sometimes kill humans when they were meant to only stun...

I haven't actually tried the electro laser myself yet, I've been a bit busy recently and haven't actually played very far into the game beyond quick tests for some time.

odie

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:11 am »
Well, by comparison, taser guns are known to sometimes kill humans when they were meant to only stun...

I haven't actually tried the electro laser myself yet, I've been a bit busy recently and haven't actually played very far into the game beyond quick tests for some time.

Tasers (esp in a Playstation game - cant rmbr the name, i try to get me names after i made it home later), can kill. Medically, i have been interested in this, and read many medical reports on this online.

For those who are well, not so into this, howstuffworks got something simpler here.

In summary, its something to do with electrical signals to heart being disrupted. Think of it as delivery an AED shock to a living person, the heart goes into fibrillation if not MI (Mayocardiac infarction) immediately.

But for gameplay sake, i thnk they should be stunning instead of killing rite? lol.

PS: What do u need to research to get that aniwae? I haven done proper gameplay for a long time. lol. Been trying out the maps on skirmish instead...... My 'new' game tat was started hardly got off the first encounter even. lol. Been mad @ work, and at celebrating with frds my bday. lol.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:22 pm »
From research.ufo file, it requires "tech rs_alien_live", so u'll probably have to use a stun rod at least once to get one of these bastards alive and research him first.  ;)

Offline roman_sharp

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:16 pm »
From research.ufo file, it requires "tech rs_alien_live", so u'll probably have to use a stun rod at least once to get one of these bastards alive and research him first.  ;)

This doesn't work. I took Tamans alive with the stun rod, I have them in containment, I researched them, then I try to capture them with the electrolaser, but I can only kill them.

I put the savegame to test on the tracker. UFO shot down and my battle squadron has 2 electro
lasers, you can test.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:33:36 am by roman_sharp »

Offline Vio

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:51:28 pm »
It worked for me in R25186.

I once got one with the rod and two with the EL, and ended up capturing two (because containment was at 8/10).

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:19 pm »
In case Electro lasers are intended to stun the targets, then it is certanly bugged.

Should be fixed in r25603, thanks for reporting this.