project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Ammunition disappearing...  (Read 13116 times)

Kelvas

Ammunition disappearing...
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:59:37 pm »
I've been playing the stable version for a couple hours now and got Laser Rifles.

I outfitted my squad with them and had a fairly successful mission with them. I only lost one person, and managed to gain some new bodies for autopsy. When I arrived back at HQ, I hired a replacement soldier and handed him a loaded laser rifle and looked for my D-F(Deuterium Fluoride) cartridges to no avail. I searched all the tabs and couldn't find a single bit of laser rifle ammunition. I checked my production and buy/sell menus and both indicated that I was in possession of more that twenty D-F cartridges. I checked the equipment menu again, but didn't see a single one. All of my squad members had their cartridges, so I decided to do an experiment. I put the cartridges back into the ammo dump (the area below the equip screen where all of your ammo and weapons are stored) and exited the equipment menu. I then came back to the equipment menu, and just as I had suspected, the D-F cartridges were gone.

I decided that laser rifles must just hate me or something, so I researched plasma rifles and started using those. After a while, I lost a few soldiers in combat that were carrying the plasma rifle ammo. I hired on some new people and again, the ammo was all gone. I checked my production and everything that would indicate how much ammo I had and all of them said that I had more than twenty units of the ammo.

I figured that this was a game-breaking bug and that it needed to be posted here, so here I am, posting it.

Hope I help in some way, and I also hope you can help me.

Also, I've tried downloading your development versions. I tried the SVN one and it seemed to be a Linux file, and I didn't see an SVN dump for a windows specific version.

Where would I get the development version for windows?

Found it, thanks to Odie!  ;D

Again, thank you in advance for any help you may render, and you're welcome in advance for any help I may have provided. :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:13:00 pm by Kelvas »

Offline nomad461

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Ammunition disappearing...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:48:36 pm »
Hey Kelvas -

I thought I had a similar problem until I realized that all my magazines had been put into rifles.  I contemplated selling some rifles to get the ammo I needed for my next mission, but I was able to produce some before the next mission so I didn't have to test that out.

nomad461

Kelvas

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:51:05 pm »
The issue is that I have 15 rifles and 5 heavy rifles, but... wait, the pistols! Thanks! I'll test it now.

Kelvas

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:40 am »
Thanks a lot, that fixed it.

I guess I had 10 rifles, 5 heavy rifles, and 20 pistols but only 22 D-F Cartridges to spare. So I just bought 20 more and that solved the problem.

Thanks a lot!

odie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:48 am »
I've been playing the stable version for a couple hours now and got Laser Rifles.

I outfitted my squad with them and had a fairly successful mission with them. I only lost one person, and managed to gain some new bodies for autopsy. When I arrived back at HQ, I hired a replacement soldier and handed him a loaded laser rifle and looked for my D-F(Deuterium Fluoride) cartridges to no avail. I searched all the tabs and couldn't find a single bit of laser rifle ammunition. I checked my production and buy/sell menus and both indicated that I was in possession of more that twenty D-F cartridges. I checked the equipment menu again, but didn't see a single one. All of my squad members had their cartridges, so I decided to do an experiment. I put the cartridges back into the ammo dump (the area below the equip screen where all of your ammo and weapons are stored) and exited the equipment menu. I then came back to the equipment menu, and just as I had suspected, the D-F cartridges were gone.

I decided that laser rifles must just hate me or something, so I researched plasma rifles and started using those. After a while, I lost a few soldiers in combat that were carrying the plasma rifle ammo. I hired on some new people and again, the ammo was all gone. I checked my production and everything that would indicate how much ammo I had and all of them said that I had more than twenty units of the ammo.

I figured that this was a game-breaking bug and that it needed to be posted here, so here I am, posting it.

Hope I help in some way, and I also hope you can help me.

Should not have such an issue. I suspect u researched both laser rifle, and pistol (and prob heavy lasers?)

They all share the same type of ammo - DF Carts.

Maybe u wanna sell pistols away, so that u can have DF 'loaded' into the rifles instead?

Which brings me to a point for developers -> Can we have the warehouse inventory not list the ammos on the soldiers?

Found it, thanks to Odie!  ;D

No problem. :D In fact, new version uploading again as of now. :P

Which revision were u on btw?
U have a save game log on ur current one with the issue?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »
Which brings me to a point for developers -> Can we have the warehouse inventory not list the ammos on the soldiers?

Once, but it's tons of work.

-geever

odie

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:48:28 am »
Once, but it's tons of work.

-geever

Yupz, i expected this.... cos, the calculations of inventory is to be matched by all soldiers, which means that part of the codings have to be sorta removed from warehouse, inventory, buy/sell and equipment screens.

Ah..... take your time.... its a good investment of time, cos it results in much less frustrations for players as they wont 'accidentally sell' equipment resulting in the need to re-buy, re-equip. :D

Thanks for clarifying on that, geever. :D

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 12:23:36 pm »
Yupz, i expected this.... cos, the calculations of inventory is to be matched by all soldiers, which means that part of the codings have to be sorta removed from warehouse, inventory, buy/sell and equipment screens.

The plan is to remove the item from warehouse when equipped, readd when removed from soldier.

-geever

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »
The plan is to remove the item from warehouse when equipped, readd when removed from soldier.

-geever

Thats should solve it entirely.

However, a "not enough equipment to re-equip soldiers" message in case there is not enough ammo when dropship reaches base would be crucial, so players know they have to buy/produce new clips.

odie

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »

-geever

That would be perfect! :D

Thanks for clarifying! ;)

However, a "not enough equipment to re-equip soldiers" message in case there is not enough ammo when dropship reaches base would be crucial, so players know they have to buy/produce new clips.

On this, i believed that when 'restocking player after mission' when soldier arrives in base, the check will first verify the quantity (like drawing of stores from warehouse) and if failed, an error (warning) msg will pop up and warn the player. :D

Sounds good, geever?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:48 am »
On this, i believed that when 'restocking player after mission' when soldier arrives in base, the check will first verify the quantity (like drawing of stores from warehouse) and if failed, an error (warning) msg will pop up and warn the player. :D

Sounds good, geever?

From code's point of view it's a bit more difficult. 'Cause how can we know if a soldier used one or more of his extra ammunitions?

For this, first we need to implement the long awaited equipment templates feature. Then we can check if items in the soldier's selected template are missing from his inventory and try to add it. If we can't (no more left) add a message to a list and show it finally (in a popup).

-geever

odie

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:21 pm »
From code's point of view it's a bit more difficult. 'Cause how can we know if a soldier used one or more of his extra ammunitions?

For this, first we need to implement the long awaited equipment templates feature. Then we can check if items in the soldier's selected template are missing from his inventory and try to add it. If we can't (no more left) add a message to a list and show it finally (in a popup).

-geever

Oooo, sounds like a major revamping of that section of the codes again. I rmbr that this was sorta revamped when the equipment screen was revamped.

Good work nonetheless! I will continue to wait for the equipment templates! I am sure that will go a long long way since i do rmbr seeing a number of threads on this : sold my equipment accidentally thread. :D

Pushing this to 2.4 or rushing to make it in 2.3?? Maybe my old mind is failing me.... dun quite see this listed under todo? Or have i simply missed it altogether? :P

Offline xoft

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:10:14 am »

-geever

That's ridiculous - you'd need a template for each soldier.

It'd be much easier if each soldier "remembered" their "full state" (what they were equipped to) and their "current state" (what they haven't used yet) and try to match those upon return to base.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 10:47:40 am »
That's ridiculous - you'd need a template for each soldier.

It'd be much easier if each soldier "remembered" their "full state" (what they were equipped to) and their "current state" (what they haven't used yet) and try to match those upon return to base.

Which is exactly the same as a custom template. You don't have to name custom templates.

-geever

Offline xoft

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 10:52:54 am »
Which is exactly the same as a custom template.

It's not. User creates templates. Program remembers states.
As a user, I don't want a template for every soldier I have.