2 (12.5%)
could use a lil improvement
2 (12.5%)
no
1 (6.3%)
Already suggested
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: other Human Armed forces? & civilian intelligence  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Montague

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: other Human Armed forces? & civilian intelligence
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 09:01:07 am »
I hate to bump a dead thread but this topic is half the reason why I signed on in the first place.

Civilians should just have a simple AI that has them running away from aliens shooting at them. If AI has to be crazy to program, make the civilian AI a simple modification of the Alien AI, maybe give the civilians a "scream" "attack" which is simply an action where they act as though thet have a weapon, when confronted with enemies or caught in a reaction fire situation they "attack" with an action that does no damage, but it can use the same AI enemy units have for seeking cover.

So, basically a civilians looks around a cover, sees an alien, craps his pants and SHOUTS... an 'attack' reducing his TUs and generating a sound effect. Then he dashes for cover like an alien does to avoid X-COM fire.

A bunch of screaming sound effects from a terrorized site would be good atmosphere so long as the 'civilian scream noise" does not become extremly repetive.

It would allow civilians to move away from hostiles, at the very least.t

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:41:49 am by Montague »

Offline Montague

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 09:25:51 am »
Also, I think there should be anti-alien combatants in some terror sites. Not policemen though. To keep things simple and belivable, I think only military-style soldiers should be around. Having police in terror sites is silly. Not every country in the world has policemen, at least not in the 'blue-uniform-with-a-pistol' people would think of as a policeman.

Since the storyline describes several mindnumbingly horribly assaults on civilian population, it can be assumed that every nation with a city worth terrorizing is under martial law. Soldiers EVERYWHERE. Thus, a terror site or other urban mission will have drab, crappy conscripts responding to the invasion rather then civilian police. To make things simple. add on some armed units (That do not attack without the playe'rs base, alien confinement and "

I also really hate the idea that civilians would have pistols or other weapons and that they would fight back. Guess what. Weapon ownership in most nations is strictly illegal. The USA is the only nation in the world that offers such liberal gun-ownership freedoms and by 2057, I'm certain that movement will be gone. It gets more and more illegal as the years go by. By the year 2057, its safe to say no civilian has access to anything more lethal then a cowering stance in the corner.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:29:15 pm by Montague »

Offline Montague

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32:08 am »
To clarify, terror sites would be set, implying that the human player is helping out a horribly defeated or disorganized part of the city which might include local military forces sent into the breach once more.

Civilians should never have weapons, just like in real life. Any anti-alien force not hostile to the player should be military in nature. Not with rocket launchers or powerful grenades. They should be redshirts with crap rifles that deduct 1/2 of the points a dead civilian does when he/she dies.

Offline Gunner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 10:42:18 am »
I also really hate the idea that civilians would have pistols or other weapons and that they would fight back. Guess what. Weapon ownership in most nations is strictly illegal. The USA is the only nation in the world that offers such liberal gun-ownership freedoms and by 2057, I'm certain that movement will be gone. It gets more and more illegal as the years go by. By the year 2057, its safe to say no civilian has access to anything more lethal then a cowering stance in the corner.

that is just plain wrong most countries allow the ownership of firearms, the types and rules that apply vary by country. and with the threat of alien invasion you can bet that sales of firearms have gone through the roof.

the UK has some of the strictest rule on firearms in the world and is hence one of an equally few nations that isn't required to have armed police officers except for 'special' units that are deployed specifically to counter firearms offences. and even there in the countryside there are plenty of hunting weapons like shotguns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics

infact in places like Switzerland people are legally required to own fire arms