project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Destructible environments  (Read 2088 times)

Offline justinlee999

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Destructible environments
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:20:06 am »
I don't know if this has been suggested before ( I searched but I dont find any ), but what about destructible walls and stuff?
I really love the way you can create shortcuts by bombing and shooting, and I love destructions in Gas Stations :P, full of smokes n' stuff.

:)

This is what I love about X-COM, destructible environments :)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Destructible environments
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:32:11 am »
Actually (no offense or rudeness intended) this has been discussed to death more than enough times already, just search for "destructible terrain" and you should get plenty of results.

Edit:  In some occurrences in the forum it is spelled out as "destructable terrain" as well.  (Search from the forum index page.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:36:04 am by Destructavator »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:38:53 am »
Oh, no. Not again about destructible terrain, please?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:13:20 pm »
Yeah, that two-word combination phrase has indeed become something of an explicative, a bit of unholy profanity or a "colorful metaphor" around here, whatever you want to call it.

...And yes, most of us are still quite sick of hearing it or any discussion related to it, just like the concept of saving the game during a battle.

In short, if you want terrain and the battle-scape environment to be destructible or otherwise react to repeated damage, you're welcome to try coding it yourself (and I'm sure such a patch would be happily accepted), but you'll be coding it on your own, and you should be prepared to do a substantial amount of work.  If on the other hand you want the current developers to do it, you might as well forget about it and don't even bother bringing it up again because it won't happen and we're tired of hearing it - period.  Don't even bother with any further discussion if such is the case, please.