project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Reinforcements  (Read 7318 times)

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Alien Reinforcements
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »
Suggestion for more varied missions: enemy reinforcements/rescue. 

As it is, there is an unlimited number of turns for a mission.  Enemy reinforcements arriving after some time (say 20 turns) would add a little pressure to the mission.  Alien commanders could get rescued before they get captured, making capture missions more difficult.  This could also add another layer to strategy.  Waiting for alien reinforcements and try to ambush them in order to gain more alien tech or capture a ship (the reinforcements dont simply just appear from nowhere).  Of course this is pretty damn risky, but would be very cool.

It's logical as well, i mean, you would send troops to rescue a valuable commander or team that crashed right?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Reinforcements
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:22:34 pm »
There are no alien commanders.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:24:04 pm »
Considering they have a "hive mind", a commander makes no sense and no induviduals would be worth putting in risk another ship to rescue them (specially considering some aliens would be already dead from the crash).

Offline criusmac

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:36:17 am »
I remember several X-Com crashed ufo missions where all the aliens died in the crash. In UFO: Alien Invasion, this never seems to happen..

Also, in this game, the aliens always seem placed in the same positions for crashed ufos. Always 1 standing just down the ramp that dies first round, and the rest inside the ufo. I guess that can make sense from a hive mind perspective too, but, uh...

Are the aliens in a crashed ufo coded at a certain number always, or are they somewhat random?

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:46:21 am »
I guess that's already accounted for since I think you get less aliens in a crashed craft than in a landed one. Just imagine they got vaporized :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:03:00 am »
they may be wounded after a crash - but not dead.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:42 am »
Does the game differentiate between forced to land and crashed? This could mean the difference between more aliens to kill, and shorter time the mission is available on the Geoscape, and fewer aliens and a longer availability time.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:01 am »
There's landed and there's crashed. There aren't any forced landings.

Megakiller

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:16 pm »
I think all the aliens would be manning 'attempting to turn humans into swiss cheese/ash/coolwhip' duty instead of attemting to call reinforcments, asking thier commanders to waste time on expendable aliens.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:13 pm »
There are no alien commanders.

Megakiller

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 10:56:57 pm »
lol sorry, in my eyes all millitary has such a command structure(but aliens are, well, aliens)

odie

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:54 pm »

Mattn,

Is this true?? Cos i see most of em fighting fit and almost takes forever to kill in later missions.

There is a coding for 'crashed UFO" missions whereby they can be hurt?

lol sorry, in my eyes all millitary has such a command structure(but aliens are, well, aliens)

Megakiller,

Perhaps u did not really understood "HIVE" mind.

This meant its collective existence..... Do u watch Star Trek? (Yupz, i am a Trekkie).

This is somewhat like the Borg. One person controlling EVERYONE and EVERYTHING w/n the collective.

Means, kill this one and all dies.

Remember Starship Trooper the lame show? This is the fat blog at the end...... our mission in UFOAI - probably to kill this one..... Else, they just keep coming.

Am i making logic? Am i representing the UFOAI concept correctly?

Stands to be corrected. :D

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 02:49:27 pm »
Actually, you kill all of them by killing all of them.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »
Megakiller,

Perhaps u did not really understood "HIVE" mind.

This meant its collective existence..... Do u watch Star Trek? (Yupz, i am a Trekkie).

This is somewhat like the Borg. One person controlling EVERYONE and EVERYTHING w/n the collective.

Means, kill this one and all dies.

Remember Starship Trooper the lame show? This is the fat blog at the end...... our mission in UFOAI - probably to kill this one..... Else, they just keep coming.

Am i making logic? Am i representing the UFOAI concept correctly?

Stands to be corrected. :D
You are correct except that's no "Master" to be killed. Since what is in control is the infection, u would have to wipe out the infection somehow from ALL hosts to kill the "Hive Mind" (yeah, maybe killing them all is easier).

Mattn,

Is this true?? Cos i see most of em fighting fit and almost takes forever to kill in later missions.

There is a coding for 'crashed UFO" missions whereby they can be hurt?
Yeah, it would add a nice realistic effect if crashed UFOs spawned wounded aliens and maybe spawn some dead bodies (that would be added to killed ones on the end of the mission for Alien Containment storage pourpouses).

Megakiller

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 07:07:59 pm »
I would like a small posobility for all the aliens to die in crashes(early on they kill my men in one shot)