project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Names and art  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Names and art
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:50 pm »
a) It seems Monomolecular Blade could use a new horizontal art complementing vertical one. Or be made small enough to fit on 1x2 (vertical) inventoy space. Or better, both.  :D
b) Some equipment doesn't match UFOpaedia enties:
  • Monomolecular Knife is named Monomolecular Blade at UFOpaedia (I personally preffer "blade" here);
  • Bolter Rifle is named Electromagnetic Rifle at UFOpaedia (OK, that's what it really is, but not its name).
c) Bolter Rifle is misplaced. It has 2 assault skill shooting modes and a sniper shooting mode. Yet, it (and its magazine) appear on the Heavy Weapons tab intead of Primary Weapons tab.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:04:50 pm by Another Guy »

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Names and art
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 04:02:54 am »
On a related point, I've wondered why the coilgun isn't considered a heavy weapon, but instead one of the primary ones...

EDIT: One more thing, while we're picking on these little points - It would really make much more sense if the game called the soliders "soldiers" and not "actors" like it does in some places, I'm guessing that "actor" is some type of programming term or lingo - but not everyone who plays the game comes from that type of background.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:05:13 am by Destructavator »

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:30:13 pm »
Coilgun at heavy? I think it's correct at Primary tab. I believe only weapons with some kind of Heavy weapon skill use (or high explosive) should be under the Heavy tab.

About the coilgun itself, I'm not sure if it is the place to discuss it but... I think coilgun clip being 2x2 size is just very wrong. Considering it has only 2 bullets, each bullet is a massive full metal bullet the size of a combat knife (see screenshot). That would simply kill anything instantly and go even though UFO materials reinforced walls.
Absourd.
I belive coilgun clip should be 1x2 just like regular Sniper Rifle Magazine.
And for gameplay pourpouses... A gun with only 2 shots per clip WILL need lots of clips, so they need to be small enough to tranport a few on ur belt and holster.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:00 pm »
I wouldn't call what the coilgun uses "bullets," If I remember right I think it's based on a different, future technology and isn't a regular gun-powder-based weapon.  (If it was, I have a feeling the recoil from such a monstrosity of a gun would leave a soldier who just fired it thinking "Wow!  That's quite a cannon!  Now did I remember to bring a parachute with me...?")

I like the coilgun a lot myself, it's a very nice weapon - although from one standpoint if a soldier could carry more ammunition for it it could un-balance the game a bit.  The restriction on how much you can carry for it also encourages the use of smaller back-up weapons, which I think is nice, so the smaller weapons don't just take up space and "collect dust," but instead get used a bit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:14:26 pm by Destructavator »

odie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:57:16 pm »
On a related point, I've wondered why the coilgun isn't considered a heavy weapon, but instead one of the primary ones...

EDIT: One more thing, while we're picking on these little points - It would really make much more sense if the game called the soliders "soldiers" and not "actors" like it does in some places, I'm guessing that "actor" is some type of programming term or lingo - but not everyone who plays the game comes from that type of background.

I wouldn't call what the coilgun uses "bullets," If I remember right I think it's based on a different, future technology and isn't a regular gun-powder-based weapon.  (If it was, I have a feeling the recoil from such a monstrosity of a gun would leave a soldier who just fired it thinking "Wow!  That's quite a cannon!  Now did I remember to bring a parachute with me...?")

I like the coilgun a lot myself, it's a very nice weapon - although from one standpoint if a soldier could carry more ammunition for it it could un-balance the game a bit.  The restriction on how much you can carry for it also encourages the use of smaller back-up weapons, which I think is nice, so the smaller weapons don't just take up space and "collect dust," but instead get used a bit.

I believe that in military terms, "Primary Weapons" are more of primary aim / kill weapon issued as standard arms to soldiers.

Weapons falling in this cat are like M16, M203 attached to M16, AK47, (most semi auto rifles, Assault).

They can also include weapons such as section support weapons (like SAW) or the carbine / Sniper rifles (for mostly scouts, snipers or special ops).

For a weapon to be heavy, its meant more for assault for infantries on heavy / soft vehicles (jeeps, APC all the way to Tanks). These hence, includes basic LAW tubes, M84, Armbrust, Platoon suppression weapons (such as GPMG), down to the more potent grenade launchers or AGL (Automatic grenade launchers).

So, back to coilguns, what is it more of? A sniper rifle rite? Hence, its more of a primary weapon, closer to sniper range weapons. (Since it has only 2 rounds, and no auto / semi-auto function).

Does this sound logical? :D

(Just a 2 cents worth opinion from a trained soldier.....)