project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Launguage selector translation proposal  (Read 4595 times)

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Launguage selector translation proposal
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »
Folks, the standard approach in most software these days (UFO:AI included) is to list the languages in whatever currently selected language is being used. I've seen this trend broken a few times and I think it works actually quite well when it's set so that the language is written in its own native way.

For example currently we have:
English
Polish
Japanese

and if we switch to Polish we have:

Angielski
Polski
Japonski

whereas I think for the language selector alone it would be best to have:

English
Polski
日本語

If this sounds like something of a good idea I can work on it;
Also I haven't looked at the language files in detail, but what is used for No Language? If a separate type is/can be used it can have the modified list, and then the other language lists can be left alone

let me know

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Launguage selector translation proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »
The problem will be fonts. I don't know if the (one) selection box can handle more fonts but doubt. Maybe it doesn't even worth implementing it. Can slow down the interface for example...

No Language is mostly English but long texts are missing (only placeholder like txt_assaultgun_pre). In fact they're the msgids from the code/scripts. They're showed if no languages can be set (missing language files for example).

-geever

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:12:46 pm »
I doubt the selector would have a problem displaying the fonts because when you change the language it has to display the new version in native fonts anyway so that's already there.

So I went ahead and put it together but not sure how to get the po file back in the game... the steps for compiling it in are kind of fragmented on the wiki. If you want to take a look I can post the .po and .mo files somewhere.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:24:32 pm »
nerf5000, I think it can use one font at a time not one font per line.

About po/mo:
We run a script sometimes src/po/update_po_from_wiki.sh to download the content from wiki into the po files. Po files needs to be compiled into mo:
* make lang (on unices)
* contrib/scripts/compile_po.bat (on win)

-geever

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:06 pm »

I'm using Vista and don't have a build environ set up so I guess I can't just simply compile it into my packages and test it...

Here is the link to a zip with the MO and PO file if you have a way of testing it otherwise:
http://rapidshare.com/files/247511498/EN_with_modified_langSelList.zip.html

Now on to the reason why I believe it would work:
It looks to me that the .po file is actually MIME encoded as UTF8 and when read it as such it shows all the fonts (I also tested this in a browser with same results, UTF8 shows the chars), so then it will not matter what font is used as long as its UTF8.

Then again I haven't tested it in game :)

P.S. Is there something special you have to do to enable the forum's "new replies to your posts" feature for my account? It doesn't seem to do anything...