project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Civilian AI Scripting  (Read 10998 times)

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian AI Scripting
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:15 am »
I'm currently looking into developing a sense of fuzzy logic for the AI.  as someone pointed out in my research into ai coding techniques,  hard rules lead to exploitable behaviors in the AI.  However,  having the AI capable of doing diffrent things in the same situation can lead to save/reload exploits.
decisions, decisions, decisions......

Offline MXcom

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 11:34:49 am »
[...] can lead to save/reload exploits.
[...]

Not if the player cannot save during tactical missions.

odie

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 12:28:02 pm »
Not if the player cannot save during tactical missions.

Actually, they still can save/load, but at geoscape level.

But at least it wont end up like the XCOM series of save/load WITHIN battle.....

Still, its a good idea, and makes the Civi more predictable...... (and logical).

Aliens on the other hand, can be more 'varied', maybe. Like they may berserk and go kamikaze?

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:23 pm »
well with the tactical save put to rest. and not a concern i'll go ahead and look deeper into fuzzy-fieing the logic.  Look for a V2 by monday,

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 04:59:26 pm »
this reminds me: if you are improving the lua ai - be sure to activate the server threads (sv_threads cvars set to 1)
and do a set g_ailua 1 (maybe add that to your autoexec.cfg)

Offline Hank

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:12 pm »

Is the herd(phalanx) behavior intended to be a pain in the ass? I've frequently had issues in combat with civilians standing in my line of fire and obstructing doorways between me and the aliens. Obviously my soldiers are going to be in the heat of combat, so herd(phalanx) is equivalent to 'run toward gunfire'.

I would much prefer: herd(phalanx) --> herd(dropship/insertion).  That is, the civis see the soldiers, run to them, and the soldiers tell them to go to the ship (usually the safest direction).

There should definitely be a panic mode for civis, where they freak out and do counter-productive things, and having them stick to my soldiers like glue would be a great example of that sort of behavior. The default though should be something like the above, a simple, rational, evacuation.

As things are now, civilians are essentially suicidal. The only way to save them is to kill the aliens as rapidly as possible (hence preventing the civis from getting themselves killed). I effectively ignore the civilians when they're not in my way. 
If I could count on the civis to act logically it would improve game play. I might actively seek them out (in order to send them to the ship) and maintain secure routes of egress for them. That would be a significant tactical addition to the game.