project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 25mm Gas Grenade  (Read 12322 times)

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
25mm Gas Grenade
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:10:13 pm »
Since the 25mm plasma grenade is researchable, why not a 25mm gas grenade for the grenade launcher?  It's a logical progression from the gas grenade and makes the grenade launcher more useful.

Offline Colamann

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 25mm Gas Grenade
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:59:03 pm »
I had the same thought and asked for this, however BTAxis said they're not gonna implement it because it's not something they'd want in the game. The game being about killing aliens, not stunning them, and so on :D

We should mod this ;) I'm handy enough to change the launcher plasma grenade into a gas grenade, but I have no clue at all how to implement a completely new researchable item and a completely new piece of equipment in the game. But that doesn't mean I can't learn how to do it...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:05:09 am »
Yeah, I dunno, it just doesn't seem right to me to make stunning too easy.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:57 am »
If stun slowly fades away so eventually an alien may wake up (like on X-COM), even with powerfull ranged stunning weapons it will get quite hard on large maps.

Offline PhilRoi

• Rookie
  • EMT and Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:34 am »
25MM round is too small to carry the delivery system and sufficient gas payload to be practical.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »
Hmm, I see the point about the game being about killing aliens, but it's not as if everyones gonna equip every single trooper with grenade launchers and 25mm gas grenades.  Even so, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to lower the AoE and stun damage of the 25mm gas grenade compared to the regular thrown gas grenade or the 25mm plasma grenade. 

Oh well, I guess I was thinking about it from the soldiers' point of view: 

"Okay, soldier we need prisoners.  Take a stun rod from the armory before you deploy."
"Uh, you want me to walk up to heavily armed aliens and hope they don't blast me to bits before I poke them with a shock stick? Sir?"
"That's right soldier.  But if that's the way you feel, feel free to take a few of those new gas grenades with you."
"Sir, I believe the research team managed to develop a 25mm version of the plasma grenades.  Couldn't they do the same thing with the gas grenades?"
"That's an interesting suggestion soldier, but that would make things too easy.  Take all the fun out of bagging those green-skins, eh?  Now get a shocker and get me an alien, is that clear?!"
"Sir, yes, sir!"

Actually, it's not terribly hard to stun an alien.  Shoot it a few times with a low powered weapon (any pistol) then throw 1 or 2 gas grenades.  All my troops carry 2-3 grenades, so really don't see how making  non-lethal ammo for the grenade launcher would make it "too easy".

I'm not really bothered about it, i just thought it would the grenade launcher a bit more multi-purpose.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:02 pm »
I love your exchange between soldier and commander that is priceless... and really Axis.. too easy? what are you on about..

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 12:21:51 pm »
It's about supplanting the lethal weapons by nonlethal ones. If you have a nonlethal weapon to fill every combat situation you would load out your entire squad with them since live aliens are more valuable than dead ones. That's my concern. Taking aliens alive should by no means be difficult, but it should, on the whole, at least be trickier than outright killing them.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
then lowering the stun damage and radius should fix that right?  I don't want to offend, but I think you're overestimating the usefulness of non-lethal grenade launcher ammo.  you can't give every trooper a grenade launcher, that's just silly.  your troops would stun themselves in close quarters (small rooms, corridors, alien ships, etc.) not to mention reaction fire would be a mess.  i have a hard enough time with the gas grenades as is (stunned two soldiers when the grenade bounced back) without having to worry about friendly fire. 

since grenades no longer have to be primed (like in X-com), it takes about as much time to grab a grenade from inventory and throw than to shoot an alien.  i don't even use the grenade launcher much since every trooper can carry 2-3 grenades.  if i really want to capture aliens, i equip my guys with laser pistols and a gas grenade in hand with 4 more stashed on them.

would be really be so bad to just try it out?  even X-com had stun launchers...

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »
even X-com had stun launchers...

And we have electrolaser....

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:57 pm »
I don't know for certain I'm right, since we never tried it.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 10:34:52 pm »
huh? electro-laser? what does that have to do with the grenade launcher?

well, i guess it's up to you devs.  i suppose it's more of a "would be nice to have" that can be worked on in future versions. 

just had a thought, what about a tranquilizer gun?  it would probably have low-range and piss-poor TU cost (due to careful aiming needed) but could be an alternative...should i put it in a new thread or is a tranq gun an auto-No? 

hmm, i wonder what taser's would to an alien...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:42:20 pm by slothlord »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 11:02:04 pm »
huh? electro-laser? what does that have to do with the grenade launcher?

It's a ranged stun weapon as a 25mm gas grenade would be.

Why do you force grenade launcher so much? It's not me who decides what get into the game and what don't but I don't think one more is always better...

I would like to see more alien weapons instead..

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 12:07:48 am »
Yeah, I've always held that the human weapons are too numerous and the alien ones not enough so.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 12:17:21 am »
I think there should be equal numbers of human weapons, alien weapons and late game hybrid weapons. about 1/3 of each.