project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Power Plant  (Read 18694 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Power Plant
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 01:07:04 pm »
I like what Odie's talking about - perhaps if there is a breakable model of a blast/containment door that aliens go toward and shoot at to destroy, so that they can access the inside of such places and cause damage - that would be nice.

Regarding Antimatter storage, here's an alternative:  Could the antimatter be (permanently) rendered into something inert and harmless with some chemical reaction or process as an emergency measure (as an option)?  Not being a science major, I really don't know how possible such a thing is...

Offline peko

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 12:45:09 am »
Nope, if anti-matter comes into contact with any matter of any kind it will annihilate. I suppose you could basicly try to fit the containment into a rocket as long as you could keep containment for a few minutes without an external powersupply damages could be pretty small assuming that the amount of anti-matter is rather small.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:19:30 am »
Instead of the powerplant blowing up, why not have it power some sort of anti-personel defense system? Cameras or something of the sort. If aliens gain control of the command center, then they can use the camera system and thus create the need to shut down the power plant. A powerplant exploding, like others have mentioned, isnt really likely unless the aliens put a bomb on the fuel supply, be it anti-matter or not. There are always some sort of emergency measure in place to prevent power-plants from exploding, whether they are active measures (ejecting the fuel) or passive (fuel is blocked off by something that, in non-emergency situations, is held up by a powered motor for that single purpose)

And I like the idea of alien blasting down doors. If there are security locks on the doors, then the aliens have no choice but to blast them down. Perhaps there should be the option of preparing a base for invasion.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 08:12:30 pm »
[...]
The antimatter containment is another concern, since shutting down your power supply would drop the containment fields
[...]
makes perfect sense imho, when power plant goes boom, antimatter goes boom also.
and the only difference is that the base goes boom if antimatter gets attacked, and boom-boom if the power plant gets attacked.

unless the antimatter storage is also a power plant.

you would need power plant to build am storage but when am storage is built you could remove power plant.
you are using am power anyway to fly your aircraft.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 03:02:12 am »
cooooooooool

we may have the option of an exploding base! :D

or at least a badly damaged one, could burn through some money the player stored,
and could give aliens a reason to seek out that nasty player who killed so many aliens already hehe

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:54:04 am »
makes perfect sense imho, when power plant goes boom, antimatter goes boom also.
and the only difference is that the base goes boom if antimatter gets attacked, and boom-boom if the power plant gets attacked.

unless the antimatter storage is also a power plant.

you would need power plant to build am storage but when am storage is built you could remove power plant.
you are using am power anyway to fly your aircraft.

Again, some sort of counter-measure would be in place. Power supply on a different grid from the rest of the base (A small gas-powered generator supporting high-capacity batteries) or something

odie

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 07:11:17 am »
Wow!

So mani ideas all of a sudden. lol.

So in summary so far, can i propose: (Of course subject to review and adaptation and etc etc)

1) Have base where doors are implemented. Humans can open em auto. Aliens have to blast em down. This is known as security lockdown.

2) We might have to consider remodeling items in the rooms to define inert objects, and 'damageable' objects' which has an "HP" attached to em..... This can be repaired for most cases, for time / money.

3) We can consider leaving antimatter alone - its SUPER HIGHLY secured, and cannot be damaged in any way?

4) Re: Power Plants, our initial discussion starter - I am proposing this be like any other 'non-inert' objects, damageable, and must be fully repaired if damaged, for base to be functional again.

Then again, we wanna focus on the current 2.3 branch's priorities first, and consider these for 2.4, if its too difficult, esp the remodeling part - the graphics team always find such ideas a nightmare. lol.

Oh yes, one last thing, i know this is not yet on the drawing board - are we considering bombs - like the ones in xcom - where it can be proximity / timed. It simply blows down doors or *aliens / humans* alike, this can come in helpful in future missions AND base take down.

For all we know, it would be a reverse situation - we are STOMPING DOWN THOSE ALIENS' Butts in their holes! Whoeeoeooeoeoeoeeeeeeeeeeee!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 08:02:06 am »
As far as I'm concerned the only matter up for discussion is the antimatter storage. I recognize the argument that it too can be targeted and destroyed like the power plant, but treating it like a second power plant in terms of gameplay mechanics seems kind of lame. Maybe it just can't be secured so you'll always run a risk if you have one.

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 11:31:09 pm »
I tend to agree with BTAxis. Of all the proposals the one that makes sense to me is making the antimatter storage behave like the power plant; take enough damage and it goes boom with the entire base. Perhaps also, and this a very big perhaps, making the area around a blown base a radioactive wasteland from the explosion of both the power plant and the antimatter. This should also have a big effect on the happiness nation on whose territory such an event takes place.

Cheers!

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 03:33:17 am »
I tend to agree with BTAxis. Of all the proposals the one that makes sense to me is making the antimatter storage behave like the power plant;
[...]
somehow i fail to see where he mentioned that he liked the idea of am storage being an alternative power plant.
for the sake of clarity.

if am storage is not also a power plant, i think it should certainly explode in the case of power plant malfunction (like when power plant gets damaged).

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 04:44:50 am »
I disagree with the AM storage blowing up. It doesnt necessarily have to power the entire bse, but it should be able to power its own containment fields. Like I said, power supply on a different powergrid that the rest of the base.

odie

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 07:00:03 am »
I tend to agree with BTAxis. Of all the proposals the one that makes sense to me is making the antimatter storage behave like the power plant; take enough damage and it goes boom with the entire base. Perhaps also, and this a very big perhaps, making the area around a blown base a radioactive wasteland from the explosion of both the power plant and the antimatter. This should also have a big effect on the happiness nation on whose territory such an event takes place.

Cheers!

This is a bad idea.

Remember how the alien's original description was?

They can eject it in emergency when needed. Thats one.

They have it so sealed up that should it explode, it would be contained.

Plus, here's something from the original text:

The outer shell's design borrows heavily from that of UN nuclear ammo dumps. In case of problems in the inner shell, there's an automatic security system which will lock down the instant containment drops below safe levels. The facility will first close its blast doors, then secure every airlock with tungsten locking rods, fill the outer shell atmosphere with radiation-retardant gas and inject anti-shock foam behind the walls, and then try to contain the inevitable blast.

This procedure will not give any personnel caught inside time to escape, but that's the price we'll have to pay if we want to have a chance of saving the entire base.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 10:57:40 am »
Just to clarify, the base is NOT powered by AM in any way.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 07:09:38 pm »
nor should it be, but it shouldnt blow up when the powerplant is shut down

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »
no the anti-matter storage shouldn't blow up if the power plant goes down.  i highly doubt they would design a containment facility for an extremely dangerous material without taking that into account.  it would probably have its own backup generator and "lockdown" mode  (probably something like encasing the core with several meters of quick-hardening sealant).  of course take several days to days to get it back up and running after a lockdown (similar to construction time).

it might be a good idea to put the alien containment next to anti-matter storage to discourage the aliens using high explosives...