project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A nasty trap!  (Read 7854 times)

Sirine

A nasty trap!
« on: June 15, 2009, 09:05:21 am »
Thank you very much for all the dev. and ppl. who involve in making this game.
I have a good fun time with X-COM UFO long long time ago, and now UFO:AI it bring back sweet memory... :)

Well, as for the subject... It is just a proposal...
1) Alien mission on the map.
2) You send your best team there.
3) You were ambush by the alien havesters.  :o
4) You lost your ship (transporter), and all your best soldiers.  >:(
5) A butt kicking from the alien...  :'(
6) Alien LOL... ;D

Offline BlerFarb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: A nasty trap!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »
Well, that sort of happens from time to time as it is. Flying to one destination your firebird can actually be intercepted and shot down by aliens mid flight... and it is very frustrating... I cried.  :'(

Building off what you said...

What if when your firebird is attacked and shotdown it crash lands and the remainder of your forces form the firebird have to fight a full harvester (or whatever shot you down) crew. Then, if you win you have to send a new firebird to pick up your soldiers... and of course you would have captured a harvester.  ;D

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:26:41 am »
Wicked! And you would be unable to pull off from such a mission if things are going bad for you...

Cheers!

Sirine

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:57 am »
Just will be fun, if the AI (Artificial Intelligence-Game) smart enought to do some trap on us (player)....

Another thing.... The research text said lot about how the alien doing team work at techtical mission.... fail to notice any...

Will there be fun, if the alien have land mine? or something like guard bot that whenever anything that come nears to it. It will just shot like crazy or blow you sky high?

Offline BlerFarb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:35:19 am »
Yeah, I do think that the aliens should have a slightly different set of tactics basing more off of teamwork and specialization as opposed to human versatility.

I think if land mines were implemented that they would be more fitting as a human weapon but perhaps some sort of alien device that heals all surrounding aliens. Or what if aliens panicked more easily when separated from packs and their stats were raised slightly when in packs.

Sirine

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:41:16 am »
In programming point of view. The land mine is possible.
1) Lay land mine, x,y coordinate mark with mine.
2) The xy mark will be attach to each character (alien and soldier).
3) Whenever character is moving, check for the xy mark and current location...if hit....kabooommm.....fly sky high!!!

Another, point...
1) If shoot at the land mine... shouldn't it be blowing as well?
2) If the land mine somehow blow up... what about the "other" land mine that lay next tile? shouldn't they be blowing as well?
3) Currently (as for my understanding) there are no flamable/blowable items on the map... example oil tank, explosive chamical etc....
4) I'm actually looking forward for chain-blow explosive effect....missing it so much... dream for it.... ;D

Offline BlerFarb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 04:22:49 pm »
Yes... what is a game without exploding barrels?!?

I think the land mines would be a great idea, however I might make it so they are proximity detonated to increase combat effectiveness. Because the chances of an enemy walking over the exact part of the terrain you placed a land mine in are slim which is why modern militaries place hundreds. Placing hundreds would obviously be very tedious so I think placing fewer more effective mines would be a better choice from a gameplay perspective.

Sirine

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:05:23 am »
another ideal poping up... The remote cctv... like the civillian camera. Place one on ground and you have the sight of that area.

In progamming point of view.
1) Like putting an unmoveable transparent soldier in one place. (replace with a "video recorder device" image).
2) Put something like iphone on the soldier hand. and walla... activate the transparent soldier..
3) You have another cool feature...which all other X-COM don't.
4) Something like unman remote vehicle...just without armor, movement, and weapon.
5) Fun to have, and definitely not 'hard' to program.

Offline slothlord

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:25:56 pm »
heh, i already suggested something like that (remote camera).   BTAxis said the devs are already working on it.  Don't know if it will be in the 2.3 release.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 03:48:51 pm »
Won't.

Offline BlerFarb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »

Sirine

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:50:51 am »
Hi BTAxis, nice to see you drop in....(my first language is not english, So, might be a bit difficult to catch what I means. And I'm at Time Zone GMT+8)

As BlerFarb said....Won't? haha... Won't what? What won't?

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:30:32 am »
Posted by: slothlord
Don't know if it will be in the 2.3 release.
Posted by: BTAxis
Won't.

:P

Sirine

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:56 am »
Hi [Another Guy], any luck on your compilation for the game?
I'm looking forward to do some coding too... Just wander where should I start looking for?
Yesterday done some script edit... fun with sub-machinegun shooting rocket...haha.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:15 am »
Nah, I got the codecs to work mostly, but compiler is still complaining about a library that is already there.
I even got last theora files from oficial site and added apropriate ones to include, but when compiling UFO.cbp I aways get:

Linking executable: ..\..\ufo.exe
C:\Games\UFOAI Development\codeblocks\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot find -ltheora

I've tried everything with lib dir and theora files, but no luck.

If u want to try ur luck (and tell me if u get it :P) recomended code:blocks archive is here but I found mattn one better. Wiki for tortoise SVN here.

Good luck!!!