project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UfoAI on iPhone ? That would be soooo coool...  (Read 3795 times)

Offline BigKid

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
UfoAI on iPhone ? That would be soooo coool...
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »
Just played the latest dev version... Got a call on my iPhone and told myself how cool it would be to play it on my iPhone...

The apple iPhone does support OpenGL ES 1.1 (the new iPhone 3GS supports 1.1 und 2.0).
I've absolutely no idea how difficult it would be to do a port - all I know is that it SHOULD be generally possible since you got the source...

And I played SIMS3 and Need for Speed and wondered how good the games look and perform on that device so I think regarding computing and 3d power it should be feasable on an iPhone 3G already...
A port of the Quake3-Engine is rumored also  to be already working...

And maybe you guys could get a little money out of the project ...
Right now there are not many games on the apple store that could match UfoAi ...

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UfoAI on iPhone ? That would be soooo coool...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:27 pm »
Hello.

I dont know at all this platform but i think the biggest problem is the GUI.

If you can play the game with a 480x320 resolution, it is possible, else we must rework all GUIs or provide a zoom in/out into some screems, and rework only some important GUIs (like the tactical screen). Anyway its a lot of work.

It is a must that all lib dependancies work on iPhone, like SDL for example. Maybe its the case, but i dont know. Maybe no body here will port libraries.

Then maybe we also should use some iPhone feature : rework the code for a better support of the toutchpad (i mean ingame, it should not work like a mouse), and use iPhone MP3 hardware decoder instead of software OGG decoder.

A lot of work... :-)

Offline BigKid

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:10:27 am »
Well 480x320 is the resolution of the iphone. If ufoai is playable at that resolution? If its selectable i will give it a shot tomorrow ;)

Sdl seems to be there and in use by some games but not all of sdl seems to have been ported...

Oh boy - I wish I had time and knowledge to do the port myself. Will not happen ;)

So I will have keep on dreaming - and enjoy the game in my pc ...

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:57:17 am »
Not too bad but unplayable. Or you must have magic eyes, and very little fingers :D

Code: [Select]
ufo +set vid_mode -1 +set vid_width 480 +set vid_height 320
[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline BigKid

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 05:33:09 pm »
Yes you are right... The magic eye is less an issue I think...
But the magic finger is a problen :-)

So many of the ui would have to be redesigned... Maybe some screen would have to be splitted...
Like the soldier/aircraft screen...

Well too bad it's not gonna happen...
I'm even considering to propose an iphone 3G for the one to make it happen... (net locked to german t-mobile right now)
Deliverable on success only :-)

scamp

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »
I'm amazed that iPhone hasn't released the I-wear ( I-gear ) etc... which basically is a sunglass that projects a 32inch screen.
The only problem would be a virtual mouse , but with all the WII virtualization I don't see the problem. All the technologies are there , but noone dares to design a complete system for it, in 10 years everyone will wear I-wear glasses with screen projection, for instance for driving a car ( and having a computer aided screen which tells you everything you need to know and also tells you in advance what is likely to happen etc ( detection of kids playing on the road etc ).

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:21:14 am »
> Well too bad it's not gonna happen...

Well, who knows what will be in 2 years

I think if the only problem is resolution, that could perhaps be addressed in the future
One stupid idea that hits my mind would be to simply make the whole interface narrower
and the viewed map smaller too

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:08:02 pm »
I think if the only problem is resolution

Are you sure? Do you know anyone who can port the game to i-phone? Maybe you?
No offence but I doubt anyone from the team could do it (time|knowledge|etc).

-geever

odie

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:22:54 am »
IMHO, I thnk this would be pure madness in terms of coding - diff os and diff screen res, plus the memory constraints + CPU processing issue...... leading to performance satisfaction.

Plus we have tons of issues the dev are working on..... and unresolved. So if this happens, probably in the year 2050 at version UFOAI 50.0 R500000.