project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction fire  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Reaction fire
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:11:13 pm »
Being able to choose what kind of fire will be used on reaction fire would be nice too. currently, actors only use the lowest TU cost ones. Player should choose between all kinds of weapon fire fore reaction fire.

This would not only be cooler in terms of strategical gameplay, but more realistic, since a soldier in a war would most probably react to an enemy with a burst than with a single shot (If he have the time to do it, of course), unless he is expecting something specific (like a sniper choosing aimed shot and waiting just for a enemy to appear on his scope). So burst should be the default one and the others should be used as a player choice.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »
Being able to choose what kind of fire will be used on reaction fire would be nice too. currently, actors only use the lowest TU cost ones. Player should choose between all kinds of weapon fire fore reaction fire.

You're wrong on this. Reaction firemode IS selectible. Open the fire popup, there is a circle before the firemodes one is checked...

-geever

odie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:27:50 am »
Another Guy,

This is selectable!! Dunno which 2.3-Dev version are u using, but as of today (actually much much longer and further in history), this is workable already.

Try downloading a newer SVN version should u not done so. (PS, even on 2.2.1, i played it before and it is also selectable then. :D)

Maybe u wanna provide us the OS, and UFOAI version u r playing??

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:45:48 pm »
Im using the R24552 build of 2.3 dev uploaded by odie on Windows Vista. On my tests, the weapon modes icon just reserved the time units, never used it as reaction fire. I tried it at a number at ways and only reaction fire that worked was the simple one from the icon below the weapon icon on single and mutiple shot mode only (using always the lowest TU cost atack the weapon offer). Even with both icons reserverd for shotting and available TU for both, only the automatic, low TU cost worked for reaction fire.

This made me conclude (wrongly maybe) that the special shoot mode reservation is only a reference for the actual turn, not for reaction fire.

Hope that im wrong.

Offline thunktone

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 11:55:53 am »
Sounds like you're using "Reserve TUs for shooting" (the pistol icon). This just helps you avoid moving too far to shoot. Try clicking the primary weapon button (the crosshairs) then clicking the circle next to the firemode you want to use for reaction fire.

Works for me.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:40:51 pm »
Thx a lot. I'll try that :P

Nightranger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:45:42 am »
I discovered this in one of the game tips at the, oddly, end of a game.  My only complaint is that the TU's were being reserved in one turn for reaction fire and IF USED were being taken in the next turn.  This sounds like a government thing.

I understand that has changed for 2.3, but so far, I'm on the fence.

Offline gerald

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:35 pm »

its implemented,anyway i think its no exactly right thing or at least partially wrong maybe sniper camping on roof with eye sticked to rifle scope can fire aimed shot as reaction fire but soldier who meet an enemy charging from behind corner rather couldnt aim carefully probably will press trigger on full auto :)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »

Player can choose between kinds of RF. Click on Shot button the mark in the circle before shot type is the selected one.

-geever

odie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:01:40 am »

Hi gerald, this is possible. U can select this at the left hand side near your firing modes.... see the little dots selectables? They are the reaction fire (rf) mode.

its implemented,anyway i think its no exactly right thing or at least partially wrong maybe sniper camping on roof with eye sticked to rifle scope can fire aimed shot as reaction fire but soldier who meet an enemy charging from behind corner rather couldnt aim carefully probably will press trigger on full auto :)

It is. Actually, if a sniper is camping, i believe that the reaction fire should be enabled for them. ;D

But in real soldier's life, if u r moving slower, its still possible to have an AIMED MODE. Usually when we aim and fire, its highly accurate, whilst snap fire is simply juz turn, point, shoot. Yupz.