project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: R24498 - any solution to Harvester stairs problem?  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Screet

• Rookie
    • View Profile
R24498 - any solution to Harvester stairs problem?
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »
Hi,

first a big thank you for this game - last year I had much fun with the latest stable release. Observing the immense changelogs since then, I thought that I should give the development build a try.

I've got a very big problem with all maps that do include Harvesters, as the Harvesters stairs are non-functional both for the aliens and me. As a result, any aliens trapped in the upper level of a Harvester are impossible to shoot. I've observed the same problem in Odie's builds before and after that release, however as I understand it, even the newer releases use the same maps. I'm running them on Vista 64.

The only workaround I could find yet was never to shoot down a Harvester (as auto missions are not possible then) and only use auto missions when I've got a Harvester on the ground. Interestingly, that leads to another observation, surely known: Auto missions always fail completely or are a perfect success. There's never a civilian harmed or a single soldier lost with them.

Screet, currently downloading R24571 in order to see if aliens still can move to strange places on fighter crash maps (including use of the same space as soldiers do)

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: R24498 - any solution to Harvester stairs problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »
I have run into this problem myself, and asked. The reply I got was that its an issue with the pathfinding system. Until that system gets fixed, there will be continuous issues with some stairs

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:33:34 pm »
Very recently in the SVN I saw a commit made to the pathfinding code by Wilminator, I don't know how much that commit fixed with regards to this issue.

Right now as I type I've updated from SVN and I'm re-compiling all maps on one of my computers, but it'll be a while before they finish and I can test the current trunk.

odie

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:06:26 am »
Hmmm, as far as i know, the complete maps recompile as of 24498 and my last update as of yesterday still did not quite fixed it. Doing a complete recompilation of maps this afternoon and uploading for us all tonite (whose who wans) so that we can all test out ok?

:)

Cheers!

-> Destructavator,

U doing this on ur linux machine or win32 or win64 machine?? :D

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »
One time, I could go about half way up the ramp before I could go no further

odie

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:00:22 am »
One time, I could go about half way up the ramp before I could go no further

Hi vedrit,

Its a common issue. I face this quite often on harvester maps too. Mostly i cant go up...... at all.

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:14:13 am »
I have found I can go up some strairs but not others in r24642. The stairs i can go up are really random, sometimes I can go up the strairs sometimes not.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:48:30 am »
From what I've heard, some of the Harvester "tiles" are fixed, like in Africa, but not in maps that are randomly generated, like the Farm map(s), though, according to the changelog Odie put together, that should be fixed aswell

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »
I have found I can go up some strairs but not others in r24642. The stairs i can go up are really random, sometimes I can go up the strairs sometimes not.

please create screenshots with the cvar debug_map set to 2

Offline Catty Nebulart

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »
ok I will do so the next time I run into the problem.

Edit; I have not been able to reproduce the error since I updated and now the game tends to crash before I can get to the stairs. :(
mostly with errors like: "ERROR: LE_NotFoundError: Could not get LE with entnum 0 (src/client/events/event/actor/e_event_actorshoot.c:127)"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:48:07 pm by Catty Nebulart »

Offline Havoc

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 03:13:52 am »
The most recent development build (ufoai_2_3Dev_r26804.exe) has not solved the Harvester UFO stairs problem.  Every single mission I play, it ends up with one alien on deck 2 (floor 2) holed up.

The worst problem about it is my soliders do not do any reaction fire to it and get shot up rather easily.  I could stomach it if I could throw a grenade or two around there and nab em, but its consistently a real problem.

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:26 am »
@Havok: I know the problem and I found a solution that works sometimes.

Move in front of the Harvester, shoot the windshield on level 2. You can use grenade launchers and PB-grenades to kill everything in the cockpit. Just don't use airburst to allow the grenades to get into the cockpit.

With a bit of luck (an depending on the map) you can even bounce grenades through one of the entrances of the cockpit. Consequently it is possible to attack the part of the stairs room next to the cockpit.

It's a bit tedious but it sometimes worked for me.

Andy

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:02 am »
The most recent development build (ufoai_2_3Dev_r26804.exe) has not solved the Harvester UFO stairs problem.  Every single mission I play, it ends up with one alien on deck 2 (floor 2) holed up.

Which map is that?

-geever

Offline Havoc

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:27 pm »
I know it happened for Cape Town (Africa), Sweeden Industrial (Europe), and possibly Mexico.

The problem is it takes so long to get through a map properly without getting slaughtered at the beginning, so quickly going through them is quite difficult.

I'll start from the beginning and document each map that comes up for play and document each map that bugs up in the harvester.

I know for a certainty that its not just one map that's the problem.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »
I know it happened for Cape Town (Africa), Sweeden Industrial (Europe), and possibly Mexico.

You have old versions of maps or old version of the game. This problem was fixed.

-geever