project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: TrueSpace going bye-bye on Friday the 22nd...  (Read 4319 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
TrueSpace going bye-bye on Friday the 22nd...
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:45:26 am »
I stumbled across this by blind luck, found it from a link in another forum somewhere:

http://www.caligari.com/News/news_200905/LetterFromTheFounder.html

I don't use this software - I think I tried a demo or something and didn't like it - but for those who do use this software, now you know.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:47:50 am by Destructavator »

odie

Re: TrueSpace going bye-bye on Friday the 22nd...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:10 am »
I stumbled across this by blind luck, found it from a link in another forum somewhere:

http://www.caligari.com/News/news_200905/LetterFromTheFounder.html

I don't use this software - I think I tried a demo or something and didn't like it - but for those who do use this software, now you know.

Yikes.... this is sad..... they killed of good ol 3D graphics stuff tat is offered for free, so that their business wings get more chances @ selling em?

Sigh. Microsoft.

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »
Yikes.... this is sad..... they killed of good ol 3D graphics stuff tat is offered for free, so that their business wings get more chances @ selling em?

Sigh. Microsoft.

Doesn't look like that would be the motivation. They are shutting down the entire product, not just the free version. As of late, Microsoft has been quite keen of offering free versions of some of their products for the hobbist/student markets (there are Express Editions for Visual Studio and SQL Server since the 2005 versions), and TrueSpace strikes as a product that could benefit from the same licensing model.

Cheers!

odie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:18:59 am »
Doesn't look like that would be the motivation. They are shutting down the entire product, not just the free version. As of late, Microsoft has been quite keen of offering free versions of some of their products for the hobbist/student markets (there are Express Editions for Visual Studio and SQL Server since the 2005 versions), and TrueSpace strikes as a product that could benefit from the same licensing model.

Cheers!

Hmmm, yes, i have been using their visual studio alrite, (i got the whole dvd downloaded from their homepage)..... not too sure, but i do know tat microsoft seemed to be 'restructuring' to make emself more 'profitable'.

Though i highly do not like the way they 'subtly pushed' their ie8..... *pukes*

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:50:57 am »
They bought TrueSpace to compete with Google Skechup and give 3D content to MSN Live Maps and its 3D counterpart which will compete with Google Earth. Seems that Microsoft will end competition in mapping side now, they will just give up. Its remembering me my last job experience - I worked for computer magazine which was bought by big company, run for one and half year all together with 7 other magazines (business, cars, life etc) and then they closed all magazines at once. It's life! Who has money don't know how to make things work, he just spends it. Too often.

odie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:11:41 am »
They bought TrueSpace to compete with Google Skechup and give 3D content to MSN Live Maps and its 3D counterpart which will compete with Google Earth. Seems that Microsoft will end competition in mapping side now, they will just give up. Its remembering me my last job experience - I worked for computer magazine which was bought by big company, run for one and half year all together with 7 other magazines (business, cars, life etc) and then they closed all magazines at once. It's life! Who has money don't know how to make things work, he just spends it. Too often.

Ah, the all to farmilar scenarios of big fish eats small fish, big fish eats too much small fishes, died of choking and greediness. lol.

Well, its not microsoft's first time aniwae (nor ani big companies). They buy up either smaller competitors, or trying to buy an existing company to move into a field, only to destroy the whole field altogether, leaving only the biggest survivors..... sigh.