project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: [WANTED] Ambient sounds  (Read 38340 times)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WANTED] Ambient sounds like fire
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »
 :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
do you have those single samples that you mixed together to that sound?

that would be better, as we don't have horses and stuff like that in the city map.

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »
Well then, here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/410558610/ATM_ABND_CITY_WIND.mp3

Loopable. Not Normalized due to compression. I hope mp3 is okay, i can send you the original WAV if you need it but i think you won't be using uncompressed Audio in the game.

Please provide the original .wav files or normalized .oggs encoded @ 128 Kbit VBR because reencoding samples always means sacrificing quality...

Here you can download an easy-to-use encoder with built-in aoTuVb5.7 ogg Encoder (win32 version):

http://rarewares.org/ogg-oggdropxpd.php#oggdrop-aotuv

This is from Wikipedia:
Quote:
aoTuV is a modified version of the reference encoder created by a Japanese developer named Aoyumi (aoTuV stands for Aoyumi Tuned Vorbis), which improves its quality, especially at lower bitrates. Initially built upon Vorbis 1.0, the improvements of aoTuV Beta2 were merged back into Vorbis 1.1. Further improvements were released, the current Beta 5.7 version (released on March 3, 2009) is an improvement of libvorbis 1.2.1 RC2.
Quote end.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »
Horses? Maybe I should listen closer next time...

Offline Axis REC

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 11:59:04 am »
There are no horses in my Contributions so far.

I will start reencoding the Samples now.

Offline Axis REC

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »
Ok, here it is.

http://rapidshare.com/files/410753505/UFOAI_CITY_AMBIENCE_ATMO.rar

A complete Package in which following files are included:

UFO_NIGHT_ATM    - Generic Night Ambience Track
CITY_ABND_UFOAI_ATM  - The abandoned City Ambient Track
CITY_ABND_UFOAI_CRANE_ATM  - An alternative with a crane working in the distance
CAR_ENGINE_RUNNING_DIRTY  - An old Car engine running
ALARM_CAR_DYING  - Car Alarm which dies after awhile.  Please don't use this or make it VERY quiet as Sirens and Alarms are very annoying.
I've included the last one because you wanted it. The City Ambience in the actual Version of the game (2.3) seems quite annoying to me as all you see are very few buildings and nearly no civillians but what you hear are Police Sirens, Traffic etc. That doesn't fit quite well with what you see in the actual game so i would suggest to use very little SFX like maybe a distant car engine. The ambient tracks should do the most.

All files are in ogg Format @ 128,0kbps

Question:
Please look at the other tracks in Sounds and Music. Are you still in need of geosphere and/or footsteps sounds?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
Very nice, I like them. And I think the crane one could be used in the industrial theme.

Is the car engine loopable? The player I'm using to listen cuts out as it reloads the track so I can't get a good listen to the loop, but it sounds like they're at different "pitches" at the start and end. It would be nice if it were loopable since it would be tied to a car somewhere on the map that wouldn't go anywhere.

And good call on making the alarm die. It would be great if I could link that to a func_breakable so it goes off when a car is too close to a grenade or something... any chance that could be added to the entity mattn or someone? To play a sound when destroyed?

More cars and stuff are planned for the city RMA, but just haven't been added yet.

And I don't know about the other songs, but mattn can probably provide an answer when he's around.

Offline Axis REC

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
The car engine is loopable but you can hear a slight pitch change.

Here you have one with slightly lower pitch and 100% loopable.

http://rapidshare.com/files/410775921/CAR_ENGINE_RUNNING_DIRTY_2.ogg

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »
Hey Axis, in revision 31507 I added your city_abnd_ufoai_atm.ogg to the +city RMA for ambience. If anyone wants to test it and give feedback, that'd be great, since it uses new features added to the misc_sound entity.

I set the copyright for the file to Axis REC. Is that how you want to be referenced?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:31 am »
Revision 31598 added your night ambient to the +forest and +tropic RMAs. I thought the bird sounds were appropriate. Thanks!

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »
Hey Axis, in revision 31507 I added your city_abnd_ufoai_atm.ogg to the +city RMA for ambience. If anyone wants to test it and give feedback, that'd be great, since it uses new features added to the misc_sound entity.

Feedback:  The ambience is nice, but a little too powerful IMO.  The birds singing away ought to be just in the background. It sounds as if they are quarrelling to be heard above the strong gusting wind.. my 2-pennyworth!  :D ;)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2010, 10:40:06 pm »
Thanks, Gren. I can't do anything about the mix between birds/wind, but I can turn the whole thing down a bit. Right now it's on volume 0.1, which is pretty low, but I'll try some lower levels and see how that works. Out of curiousity, was this +forest or +tropic you were playing?

Offline Gren

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 10:50:27 pm »
No Worries H-Hour. It just seemed a little overcooked and in places clashing with some of the quieter music tracks. It was in the +forest maps I noticed it most.. I wonder if AXIS Rec might consider a remix to bring down the wind levels a little?

Offline Axis REC

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 11:22:40 am »
What do you need exactly?
I can tweak the mix a little if you need something quiter.
Just tell me and I'll get to it next Weekend.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 11:50:48 am »
Hey Axis, thanks for that. I guess it was in your night track, ufo_night_atm. Perhaps less wind in comparison to the birds. Don't bring it down too much because I'm going to bring the overall volume of the ambient noise down in the map. But a little less would be great.

If you're up for making other variations, do you think you could make one that is just a very light breeze, without too much variation (30 seconds or less would be fine as long as it's looping)? I would use this for desert/arctic areas that are desolate.

Thanks!