project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Small suggetsions  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Snaphaan

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Small suggetsions
« on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:05 am »
Hi

I have just recently downloaded the game and find it (even in it's unfinished state) terrific! There are only a few little annoying things that I hope has been, will be, or could be fixed:

1) I know the tactical map saves are not part of the so called "scary feel" of the game but personally I think it has nothing to do with creating atmosphere rather than frustration. Let me explain it this way. I get the same feeling I get when I play fixed save point games (usually consoles) like Prince of Persia. First I get annoyed  then bored and then I move on and play something else. It's not keeping me on the edge of my seat, its taking the 'fun' factor away   :(

Is their a way to activate it? Maybe someone has made a mod for implementing it?

2) That fixed cursor (the little target marker or starry thing), can I change it to something a bit more... pointy? It feels like I'm suppose to shoot everything. A normal kind of windows arrow or something generic would be nice :)

3) (Edit) Oh yes, and another thing. I have to switch my hand between my mouse and keyboard quite a few times. The tactical view roll and tilt should be fixed to the middle-mouse button... if it is possible. In that way I can use my left hand for shortcuts and my right hand to change views (middle-wheel scroll for level changes) and plot courses for my units!

Well, those are my only complaints... nothing major.

I have quite a bit of 3D and 2D artistic experience so I will scan the To-do lists and see where I can give a hand  ;).

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:45:10 am by Snaphaan »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Small suggetsions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:37:53 am »
Saves: No. Don't ask, don't argue, it'll never happen unless you make it happen yourself.
Cursor: It should be possible to change the cursor graphic by replacing it by a one you like better. It's in base/pics/cursors/cursor1.tga.
Controls: Have a look at keys.cfg in your UFOAI configuration directory (it's in your homedir or in appdata, depending on your OS). I don't think you can quite do anything you asked for, but you can certainly play around with it.

Offline Snaphaan

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:56:15 am »
I'd propably have to code or something... then I can't do it. If that is the case then it's a pity, a REAL pity. Where CAN I ask without getting Bull Rushed? Someone, somewhere has to have felt the same? Mmmm, I'll google and see what comes up....nothing. I don't believe it!!?

Thanks for the cursor tip - I forget that the game is open source! :)

... and the the key config!

Offline Kaz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:32:30 am »
About the saves, don't take it personally. It's just that it has been discussed ad nauseam.

Cheers!